Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there are 10,000 people out there waiting for a Solstice; then why are there over 20 cars on ebay right now not selling for very much over MSRP? Has the mass market just not caught up yet? Will we have to wait until next summer for the big splash? It just seems strange to me. Right now it is not acting like a HOT car. I had a dealer offer $500 for them to keep the car. That does not show very much faith in the value. What is going on?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Dogtown said:
If there are 10,000 people out there waiting for a Solstice; then why are there over 20 cars on ebay right now not selling for very much over MSRP? Has the mass market just not caught up yet? Will we have to wait until next summer for the big splash? It just seems strange to me. Right now it is not acting like a HOT car. I had a dealer offer $500 for them to keep the car. That does not show very much faith in the value. What is going on?
No, the mass market hasn't caught up yet. and the fact that a dealer would offer anything to keep the car says that it is in high demand.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I really don't think there is going to be this big collector value. Right now is not a big time for selling roadsters either, it's almost winter.

·
2,574 Posts
deluke said:
I really don't think there is going to be this big collector value. Right now is not a big time for selling roadsters either, it's almost winter.
I think you're probably right and there are 10,000+ orders no prob. but the price is a big part of the enticement. I'm getting a $30+k car for $24, but it ain't gonna be a collectors item, no matter what the vin. # ;)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
birdliver said:
I think you're probably right and there are 10,000+ orders no prob. but the price is a big part of the enticement. I'm getting a $30+k car for $24, but it ain't gonna be a collectors item, no matter what the vin. # ;)
:agree:

One of the largest selling points for the Solstice is the low sticker price. In fact, the price was one of the primary design criteria, and a large part of the marketing concept. Any kind of mark-up negates this, so you don't get a lot of people running out to hand over several extra thousand to get one.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Well, when you think about it, are 1990 Miatas collector's items? Nope.

Maybe in 2030. Even muscle cars from the 60's weren't that valuable until the 90's.

This car is for enjoying, not investing in. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:

Maybe in 2030. Even muscle cars from the 60's weren't that valuable until the 90's.

:agree: If it's ever worth anything it will probably be after I'm dead, so I'm just gonna enjoy it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ummm, because its over ebay. You gotta have A LOT of trust with the seller to fork over that much money. Many of the sellers don't have a high rating, and a few of them are demanding a couple grand (non-refundable) immediately at the end of the auction. This seriously decreases the number of peeps willing to bid. Look at this way, would you Paypal $2k to someone you have NEVER met, and oh by the way, its non-refundable.

The sellers would have a heck of a lot more bidders if a) they have the car in hand b) made no demands for an upfront fee. All you do is contact the winner and the next couple people down the list. If they are near, they can come meet you and hand over a hundred dollars or two to reserve the car, while they finish getting the loan together. Basically treat it like you do if you were selling a car over a regular newspaper ad.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
birdliver said:
I agree to disagree. The 1st 1000 will be a collector car.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...yeah right

SCISOLSTICE said:
They are already collectors cars. GM is collecting them right back to fix the flaws. Glad I didn't get one in the draw. Hope they get em right before mine comes.
:cool:

·
Registered
175 Posts
This months Automoble mag has a pretty good article and cover of the Solstice. In the same issue they cover several car models that have bit the dust. One was the Toyota MR2. Cause of death: "Cargo-phobia: The total unwillingness to carry even one suitcase is a terminal illness, even for a roadster."

Collector car? Not.

·
2,574 Posts
SCISOLSTICE said:
Sci, For the record, I hope you're right. I also hope that on the way to establishing that status we here have many go rounds on the status of the Sol on it's way to immortality as one special creation that we all enjoy over many miles to come. It's a collectors item to me (won't sell mine) and I'd love to have another. Maybe a coupe, a turbo version, next generation?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
birdliver said:
Sci, For the record, I hope you're right. I also hope that on the way to establishing that status we here have many go rounds on the status of the Sol on it's way to immortality as one special creation that we all enjoy over many miles to come. It's a collectors item to me (won't sell mine) and I'd love to have another. Maybe a coupe, a turbo version, next generation?
:agree: Same here. God willing I will drive this car until they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
RichSol......I'm with you.....

RichSol said:
They are already collectors cars. GM is collecting them right back to fix the flaws. Glad I didn't get one in the draw. Hope they get em right before mine comes.
:agree: I'm with you, glad I didn't get one of the 1st 1000, seems like many flaws with gaps, tops, gear noise, etc........

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...yep

ntouched said:
:agree: I'm with you, glad I didn't get one of the 1st 1000, seems like many flaws with gaps, tops, gear noise, etc........
When we have our Inland Empire chapter of the SoCalSol Club, we want all the flaws gone! Right?

BTW I think the first trip shoud be a caravan of Sols to Solvang! "SoCalSols to Sol" outing.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
RichSol said:
I have mine and it's perfect.

·
Registered
535 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:

Even the majority of muscle cars are not 'collector' cars. Typically only very limited production models with performance packages. There is no real difference between a F1k and the rest of the line other than VIN and badge. Now if they were able to squeeze out 50-60 2006MY Turbo Sols vs. 3000 turbo models in each of the following years you might have something.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
JetBlackE31 said:
This months Automoble mag has a pretty good article and cover of the Solstice. In the same issue they cover several car models that have bit the dust. One was the Toyota MR2. Cause of death: "Cargo-phobia: The total unwillingness to carry even one suitcase is a terminal illness, even for a roadster."

Collector car? Not.
We are traveling to the east coast tomorrow. Cloths packed in the new Zip lock clothing bags. With the top up or down and you can wash cloths in most motels. This is a two week trip from western Ia." If you can find a better car buy it."

·
Registered
401 Posts
SCISOLSTICE said:
The only one who is going to be the collector is the original purchaser like myself. Vin 507 is a collectible to only two persons, ME and my son who will get it when I die or can no longer drive. To any one else it is juat a car nothing more. To myself and my son it has been the whole process and everything that has went with it. If someone else was to buy it, and that will never happen, that stuff would be worth nothing. Sorry the first K's will not bring any addional dollars once the production gets fixed, hopefully soon. The only one that could sell for more might be Vinnies Vin 0000001.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts