Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1963 Corvette Split Window Convertible (Top removal) - YouTube

Imagine if this totally trick idea could be used to take a stock Kappa vert and turn it into a stock looking Kappa fastback coupe. Using a two-sided vinyl/microfiber roll-up panel to protect the OEM decklid finish is a great solution.

Also would dig a split window Kappa option. :thumbs:

Norm...are you listening?

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
+1 pretty cool

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
One of the ideas I had for the 50/50 printing on my Coupe rear window was a split window design...........maybe some day.

:cool:

·
Registered
69 Posts
My original proposal to Norm was to bond the coupe top to a fibreglass rear deck copy, use the four deck lid bolts to attach it, use the trunk latch and windshield header locators (sliding) to secure it and a j-hook sort of deal to lock it to the windshield header. Simple, quick, reversible. No added utilitiy, but the same look.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I love hardtops but my issue with them has been they completely block access to the trunk. My car is a daily driver so I need to have that space option available. If there was a way to have the hardtop and access to the trunk I'd be sold!

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Solheart : My original proposal to Norm was to bond the coupe top to a fibreglass rear deck copy, use the four deck lid bolts to attach it, use the trunk latch and windshield header locators (sliding) to secure it and a j-hook sort of deal to lock it to the windshield header. Simple, quick, reversible. No added utilitiy, but the same look.
Pretty much the concept used with the EDAG SportWagon top.
RacerDave : I love hardtops but my issue with them has been they completely block access to the trunk. My car is a daily driver so I need to have that space option available. If there was a way to have the hardtop and access to the trunk I'd be sold!
Even if the hard top allows access to the trunk the soft top blocks it, so this is only workable if you remove the soft top. Difficulties removing/replacing/realigning the soft top mean that you would be committing to permanent or at least long term use of the hard top.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I love hardtops but my issue with them has been they completely block access to the trunk. My car is a daily driver so I need to have that space option available. If there was a way to have the hardtop and access to the trunk I'd be sold!

I remember a former member (Nankoo Design) whose hardtop version appeared to connecting to the rear OEM decklid brackets so the entire hardtop would flip up like the OEM vert humped decklid. I'm assuming it wouldn't have L/R locating pins, but still a center latch to lock it to the header. Not sure if the stress would be great for the OEM decklid brackets long-term. Also think the top was basically a large Plexiglas sunroof in it which had folks thinking while it was cool looking it may also make it really hot inside.

Found it:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/my-new-hard-top-roof-67106/

If pics don't show up try this (google/images):
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=pontiac+solstice+++see+through+++hardtop&num=10&hl=en&safe=active&tbo=d&biw=1026&bih=646&tbm=isch&tbnid=GDdwJwwrnI35tM:&imgrefurl=http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/hard-top-70136/index3.html&docid=CbggMsZ7fYSTdM&imgurl=http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/attachments/f62/18603d1317145946-hard-top-img_2659.jpg&w=2196&h=868&ei=KqC4UIm3DIqDywGG6YCACw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=628&vpy=318&dur=1376&hovh=141&hovw=357&tx=220&ty=81&sig=105621630093809263482&page=5&tbnh=112&tbnw=256&start=75&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:79,s:0,i:327

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
LowLife1 : .... Imagine if this totally trick idea could be used to take a stock Kappa vert and turn it into a stock looking Kappa fastback coupe. Using a two-sided vinyl/microfiber roll-up panel to protect the OEM decklid finish is a great solution. .....
I considered this solution to adapt the EDAG SportWagon top to my Sky, and was just about to start cutting when I reconsidered. I finally rejected it for two reasons. One is that it is a dead-end option, and is purely a styling exercise. You have no access to the trunk, so even if you decide at some point to make the conversion "permanent" you don't gain anything by removing the soft top. The only cargo space you will ever have is between the stock deck lid and the add-on top. With the wagon it isn't much, but with a fastback it would be insignificant. The other is the damage that it is certain to do to the finish of the stock deck lid. Look at the deck lid of the Corvette in the video and you will see the imprint of the removable top, scuffed into the finish. Add some buffing time and an eventual clear-coat renewal to the 10-minute change.

It looks really appealing, but at the end of the day after some objective thinking it seems that it has very limited utility.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think this is being marketed toward people who just want change the look temporarily rather than sell a nice vert and go through the hassel of trying to find a equally nice coupe. I know from personal experience that while the fiberglass on the outside of the 64 coupe we owned looked great, I had a sneaking suspicion the metal birdcage holding it together was starting to let go. Same way with Fiero's; the composite body panels look good on the outside but the metal spaceframe there are bolted to are prone to rust and fall apart in certain areas of the spaceframe.

Remember reading an interesting factoid about Fiero's steel spaceframes. GM apparently stamped out a few aluminum spaceframes and it ended up shaving off a couple hundred pounds from the platform. It's stuff like that that makes me wonder if GM was smart enough to kept the tech and learn from it or send it to the crusher and lose it?

Regardless, I'll take a slip cover over the time & expensive of an reupholstered job anyday. ;)

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
My original proposal to Norm was to bond the coupe top to a fibreglass rear deck copy, use the four deck lid bolts to attach it, use the trunk latch and windshield header locators (sliding) to secure it and a j-hook sort of deal to lock it to the windshield header. Simple, quick, reversible. No added utilitiy, but the same look.
The beauty of the above design is that it does not require any reconfiguration of the car to install the top. For many of us who like having the ability to go topless, it would be great to have the ability to drop this top onto the car while the convertible top is retracted, and take it off in a few minutes when you wanted to have a convertible again.

Not having access to the trunk is not an issue for me.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Also would dig a split window Kappa option. :thumbs:
I am of two minds about that. You could say don't screw up what little rear view we have, (compared to the coupes) or you could say there isn't enough rear view to worry about in the coupes to start with so the 'tail' won't make much difference.

Not sure how many convert owners would be willing to put up with the limited visibility to use that sort of mod - they'd be well advised to borrow/rent a top like that for a week before shelling out the probably quite significant price to buy one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts