Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Halo cars are not sells leaders, they are on the lot to get Joe Blow to come in to take a look at them then drive off in a boring 4 door Plain Jane car. Guys go in to drool at a Corvette drive off in a Camaro or Cruz, look at a Shelby GT drive off in a Focus, Viper drive off in a Dart.

Money people only understand bank account statements, not passion about cars. To most a car at best is means to going from point A to B, worst case, a thing they have to put money into on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
HATERS! "The Miata is superior in every way" (taken from the comments column.) Are you freakin' kidding me??
Think about a year ago over 900,000 had been sold world wide since 1990. They were the first and are still being made. Huge aftermarket support, simple to work on, high fun factor. Fairly cheap new, really cheap used, 150,000 mile car is not out of the norm. If you use one to race you ball it up, no need to worry there are plenty more where that one came from to start over with.

Our cars were a drop in the bucket, did well while they were made but due to bean counters GM had to kill them.

Next generation of the Miata is going to be used by Alfa Romeo for their new Spider.

Don't have to like a Miata but should respect what Mazda did, had they not built it most likely this forum and our cars would not be here.

·
Registered
303 Posts
While I don't fall in the camp that Sols, even coupes, will some day fetch huge prices at auction if kept as garage queens now, I believe it's a bit too early for such a post mortem.

The Kappas were/are good little, inexpensive, reasonably good handling and performing sports cars. Gave Miata and 350Z buyers another viable option. Pontiac was doomed no matter what, but they probably should've just come out with the GXP and foregone the NA altogether.

I think they're off the mark on the Avanti, too. They were actually in production through specialty manufacturer long after Studebaker was gone. I still think they are an interesting car and do a double take every time I see one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree with sandan... Avanti is so tarnished that someone's always trying to buy and relaunch the name plate (four door 1990's version anyone???). /sarcasm

While I agree the writer is probably somewhat biased, I have to agree in part with at least one concept... GM does not "get" halo cars. I had that very conversation a couple weeks back with a very nice older African American couple who complimented my car and wanted to know what it was, as they'd never recalled seeing it.

It seems that GM didn't want halo cars to be just halo cars. They wanted them to be volume sellers, to boot. IMO the halo cars were often marketed poorly, given terrible support and then had false negative attributes applied to them for GM's failure to properly manage them.

Even in a place like LA where so many high-end Porsches, Maseratis, Ferraris and Lamborghinis are a dime a dozen; my Sky, in my case, turns heads. As does the even-rarer SSR. The Reatta was a looker for its day, and I still think the Allante has nice lines and was ahead of its time compared to its GM and other American nameplate contemporaries.

Even looking today at what Chevy did to the Volt. They "dumbed" it down to appeal to the masses who they felt wouldn't adopt such a "futuristic" design from the original concept. And yet, the Opel Ampera IMO is a much more striking and better looking car, despite being essentially the same platform.

And as far as people not wanting "futuristic" looking vehicles, the current-gen Prius was really "out there" when it first came out and people still went bonkers for it. Even the Nissan Leaf, which looks like someone let a wax-model Nissan Versa out in the sun to melt a bit, can be seen in the multitude puttering around LA. And let's not get started on Hyundai's "fluidic design" that so many are going ape sh!t over nowadays...

:rant:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Don't have to like a Miata but should respect what Mazda did, had they not built it most likely this forum and our cars would not be here.
I'd have to disagree with this one. Bob Lutz was pushing for an affordable two seater roadster back in the 80s, with the Ghia Barchetta at Ford of Europe, which was offered to Mazda. Mazda turned it down but recognized the importance of a two-seater in the marketplace and it's value as a halo vehicle (something Mazda was looking for).

So I feel Bob gave both impetus for the Mazda roadster and regardless would have spearheaded a roadster project with his return to GM.

·
Registered
102 Posts
As someone who has earned their living in the automobile business forever, let me say that Mazda studied the British sports cars and saw their strengths and avoided their weaknesses. The Miata is a well made vehicle with moderate power. Having owned numerous '60's British sports cars I was use to the lack of trunk space or interior room and never thought of cupholders as inherently necessary to driveability. That being said the buff book writers today compared the Solstice to the Miata for creature comfort and never drove any of the British sports cars. When I bought my Solstice, I thought the luggage room was better than any British car I ever had and one cup holder was one more than any of them had. I think it was the age of the writers that caused them to be turned off to the Kappas. The Kappas were extremely expensive to build. Remember everyone on the assembly line was taught how to weld. That all being said, those of us who own a Kappa are in general proud of them and feel sorry for those who don't.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
mm makes some good points. Well, except for the part about feeling sorry for those who don't own a Kappa. :jester:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I always thought that the Solstice was Pontiac's brand "extention" and the GTO was their actual "halo" car. It seems to me that I've met more Solstice first time Pontiac owners than true Pontiac loyalists.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I always thought that the Solstice was Pontiac's brand "extention" and the GTO was their actual "halo" car. It seems to me that I've met more Solstice first time Pontiac owners than true Pontiac loyalists.
I agree. But again, it's the usual case of poor advertising from GM.

Case in point; yesterday I was at walmart and loading my bags in the trunk when the lady parked next to me in a scion xb came to her car. I offered to move my cart out of the way; she declined, said go ahead and finish, she wasn't in any hurry. While waiting on me, she was looking at the car and said; "That sure is a very beautiful car you've got there." I said thank you very much, I love it. She then said, "I'm sure it came with a very beautiful price tag too!" I laughed, and said, no; actually I got it brand new for $20,000. :D Her jaw dropped and said, "wow..." I said, yep, it's a great little car.

Clearly, GM failed to advertise it's overall value. A car with $40,000 looks for half the price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts