1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
102 Posts
According to this GM Mexico article, it was only the coupe that was offered as this commemorative edition. If you open the following link in Google Chrome, it should offer to translate the page into English.

From what I can tell, it came standard with the monsoon sound system and blacked out rims.

Pontiac Solstice Coupe, a sport that will make history

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chop Top I have to admit that you just amaze me with some of the stuff you post on the forum ! :lol:
All the more reason a Solstice/SKY book addendum should be published. :devil:

Thanks Black Out

Mexico Commemorative Editions

It offers the power and performance of the convertible version, but now with removable hardtop and automatic 5-speed transmission
Deportivo will be a legendary vehicle

This Commemorative Edition will be limited to 100 units
Mexico City - General Motors of Mexico, under the Great International Concours d'Elegance 2009 Commemorative Edition introduced the new Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe, roadster sports car that will make its mark. This version will be limited to 100 units.

The Solstice Coupe is the new sporty two-seater with hardtop and 5-speed automatic transmission, which also have a distinctive exterior design of classic roadsters, brings the power, performance and exclusivity of a collection vehicle. This coupe will be located as a legendary in the future.

"Today, we are proud to introduce the Commemorative Edition flagship of Pontiac models, the brand new Solstice Coupe, which offer superior sportiness and handling performance enthusiasts who want to be part of the history of Pontiac "said Eduardo Gelista, Marketing Manager at General Motors Pontiac of Mexico. "Those who have the opportunity to purchase this sport, you will get a lithograph with a picture of the vehicle and a certificate, which validates that is one of the 100 Solstice Coupe to be sold in Mexico," he said.

Outstanding performance

The Solstice Coupe features a 4-cylinder ECOTEC Turbo 2.0L with VVT (Variable Valve Opening) and SIDI (direct injection technology of fuel to the combustion chamber) that give this great sporting 260 hp @ 5,300 rpm and a torque of 260 lb-ft @ 5,250 rpm. This engine allows for outstanding fuel economy, which generates the driver driving longer distances with lower fuel loads.

Its comfortable, sporty and fun driving is achieved thanks to the 5-speed transmission with limited slip differential and traction transfer skid, plus fully independent sport suspension on all 4 wheels, Bilstein shocks.

Exterior Design

The Solstice GXP Coupe Commemorative Edition features a hydroformed aluminum hardtop. It offers side windows and rear glass opening up to provide easy access to the trunk. The roofline has an aerodynamic shape with stylized classic tracks ranging from the front of the roof to the rear, culminating in a smart and functional spoiler, which emulates a genuine sports car.

The panel detachable awning is very easy to remove and features an interior styled contour that gives more headroom and gives both the driver and passenger comfort.

The new Solstice Coupe GXP offers half match their design and performance. Its height is 1,293 meters 20 mm greater than the convertible version, offers 1,810 meters wide, while its 3,992 m long placed it as a marina able to maneuver freely in both city and highway driving. Meanwhile, the fuel tank has a capacity of 49 L, the vehicle weight is 1,369 kg and its trunk space is 159 L.

Despite its dramatic new look, engineers made only minor changes to create this new classic roadster. Both rear fenders and the rear view of the coupe are the same as the convertible. The set of taillights flow more gently to integrate with tapered roof line. The canopy frame was reinforced coupe additional support elements, such as aluminum trunk carriers subject to the same material. The removable roof manually, includes a cover made of lightweight molded sheets subject to a rigid magnesium chassis to minimize weight.

The Solstice Coupe offers power side mirrors and fascia to the body color. The front fascia has specific design GXP, halogen headlamps with high-intensity optical reflectors and fog lamps, sporty design with protruding eye. The rear fascia features a lower integrated molding, rear lamps including incandescent light and reverse directional signs and a dual chrome stainless steel exhaust located at each end.

The proportions of the Solstice are accented with black face rims R245 / 45 high-performance, aluminum wheels 18 "chrome side handles GXP emblems and badges throughout the vehicle.

Interior Equipment

Its sporty and appealing design highlights in each of its details. Leather sport seats with integrated header and visible seams, rearview mirror courtesy lights, air-conditioned glove box, two-piece center console with cup holders, aluminum sport pedals and bags storage compartment in the rear seats are some of the unique features of this great sport.

In regard to the elements of entertainment and information, the Solstice Coupe includes an AM / FM radio with six-disc CD player, MP3, digital clock and auxiliary input for iPod ®. Moreover, its system of six-speaker sound with extended range and a subwoofer, the driver will provide power and fun in the same vehicle. The instrument panel with analog indicators modern design, includes speedometer, tachometer, fuel level gauge and engine temperature.

In addition to these valuable features, Solstice Coupe offers power locks, sport steering wheel three-spoke leather-wrapped with audio controls, speed and information center, opening "express" glass, vanity mirror on the driver's seat, remote trunk release and rugs with special embroidery and emblems GXP.

Much of the interior of the coupé is same as that of the convertible. However, the area behind the seats was redesigned for easy access to the cargo area and has storage compartments directly behind the backrests.

Security

The features include occupant protection airbags for driver and passenger dual-stage detonation, deactivation system bag passenger, seat belts with pretensioners and inflation kit with compressor wheels and sealed.

It has disc brakes with four-wheel antilock braking system ABS and stability control system stability ™, which provides additional control to the vehicle skid roads or in situations of extreme maneuvers.

Price

This Commemorative Edition Solstice GXP Coupe, produced in the factory assembly plant in Wilmington, Delaware, becoming the Mexican market with a price range between $ 350,000 and $ 400,000 pesos. It will be available in the Pontiac-GMC dealers along the Mexican Republic from August 1, 2009.

About GM

GM Mexico has over 74 years of operating in our country, which has been leading the domestic market during the last thirteen years. GMM employs around 12,000 people directly. It has facilities in Toluca, State of Mexico; Silao, Guanajuato; Ramos Arizpe, Coahuila; Cupuán, Michoacán; San Luis Potosí, and corporate offices in Mexico City. Markets products for Chevrolet, Pontiac, GMC, HUMMER, Saab and Cadillac brands.

General Motors Corp. (GM), is one of the largest manufacturers in the world of cars. Founded in 1908, the company currently manufactures cars and trucks in 34 countries. With its global headquarters in Detroit, GM employs about 235,000 people worldwide and does business in 140 countries. In 2008, GM sold 8.35 million cars and trucks globally under the following brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, Hummer, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Vauxhall and Wuling. The GM's largest market is the U.S., followed by China, Brazil, UK, Canada, Russia and Germany. OnStar, a subsidiary of GM, is the industry leader in vehicle safety, security and information services. More information on GM General Motors | Official Global Site | GM.com site.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Nice find, and interesting. It appears to be an early announcement that was never fulfilled as intended.

It tells us about the 5 speed transmission. No 5 speeds were sent to Mexico, only automatics.

Although it cites a planned 'edition' of 100, they actually sold 122 cars there, and like the Canadian market, no base cars were shipped, only GXPs.

Either they, or possibly Google also appear to be confused about the difference between a coupe and a roadster.

It is interesting that they state that deliveries were to begin August 2009. Mexico got three of the pre-sequential coupes plus a preproduction prototype, all orange in April 2009 and also took (or had designated to them) 22 of the sequential cars that same month, yet the announcement is dated June 13, by which time they should have known they would get no manuals. By June 13 they had quite a few in inventory, although it is hard to say if they had actually crossed the border as the date listed in the GM records may only indicate the final scan before leaving the factory.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RedOne, do you have any info on these cars?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Nice find, and interesting. It appears to be an early announcement that was never fulfilled as intended.

It tells us about the 5 speed transmission. No 5 speeds were sent to Mexico, only automatics.
If I read the ad correctly it is an Automatic car, I have seen many automatic Kappa's described as being equipped with a 5-speed trans, (and a couple as 5-speed Manuals) As the automatic Trans is also a 5 forward gear trans, it is not actually incorrect to refer to it as a 5-speed car, just not how I would think of 5-speed, if you leave out Automatic I assume its a Manual trans car when you describe the number of gears in the trans. But apparently many people do not share my point of view on the subject.

Thanks for posting the info!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
RedOne, do you have any info on these cars?
From what I have gleaned in the past, and it is somewhat sketchy, The cars were ordered by GM Mexico, and were shipped to a production facility, in Mexico, where the commemorative badges were installed, and some special body work (flares) were installed.

YMMV

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Yes, have a listing of the glove box contents. :)

Have not dived in to Mexican cars yet. Seems people are put off when I email them in the Englisch language so is rarely I even get an answer.

Lately my focus is on US, Canada, Scandinavia and Korea. Do not have much about the 120+ MX Coupes imported by GM but your question will certainly make me want to dive in to it soon, so ask me again in a month or 3 :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts