Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Seen it. Refuse to click the link again. Edmunds is a horrendous, foreign biased site.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Pretty sure he means biased towards foreign manufactured vehicles.

And I tend to agree. Edmunds does seem to always find something good to say about anything built offshore, while bashing US manufacturers.

But Hey, at least they put the Solstice at 100, instead of 1. :lol:

·
Registered
432 Posts
As a solstice owner, I kinda agree with everything said there. At least loosely.

example1 = "the trunk is super small, taxed by a t-shirt" ok not quite but two not totally filled backpacks and the top down and your f'd

example2 = "overweight and underpowered" Note they said the 2006 which means no turbo model, so yes I would agree it is underpowered though that was resolved in 2007 forward with the GXP. As for overweight, well 2800lbs is heavy for this small of a car BUT with all the safety equiptment required to be in todays cars, what car isn't heavy except for the $100,000.00 on up cars using lots of carbon fiber and such.

example3 = "redic convert top" Well I think this is the one part on the car EVERYONE has had some sort of issue with. Butress poppers fail, roof leaks, makes noises, doesn't line up correctly, etc. we all have had an issue relating to the roof. Could the roof have been better, YES, hell maybe even powered!

example4 = "parts bin car" This is a good and bad point I agree. By being able to use parts off the shelf the car was inexpensive compared to competition BUT it also lead to some things not being as good as they could have been if they were created for this car specifically. With things like the reverse lights being from a GMC who cares, but with things like the tranny being from a truck, uggg it makes the car shift and drive like a truck, plus we are missing that 6th gear. My last car had a getrag 6 speed (german tranny manufacture) and though it wasn't perfect, it was worlds above this one. And don't even get me started about these bunk ass brakes we have on the GXP's!

example5 = "A goofy cockpit" Well maybe cheap would have been a better word as the only thing goofy about the cockpit to me is the lack of space, the 3 cupholders for 2 seats and the location of those cupholders. If they said cheap I can see it, the seats are garbage, I have never had worse seats in any car I have driven much less owned from the design to the materials they are made of to the spring loaded bottom (can you say floaty) they are just crap, also the plastic boomerang dash looks cheap, I plan to eventually paint mine or something but that silverblack metallic looking paint looks like it came straight from a spraycan.

WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID, is this can in the top 100 worst cars ever, I would say no it isn't. With everything I hate about the car am I looking to sell mine, HELL NO! I have a love/hate relationship with this car because for everything they f'd up on this car there is allot right like RWD for starters. It's a temperamental bitch (like the sexy supermodel or high school cheerleader) but we love it because it is sexy as hell, makes you feel good, and turns heads! I like to chalk it up to the price you pay for buying a concept car. I mean look at the concept and the final sale product not much was changed, usually a car is drastically changed from concept to final to make it an everyday usable car, on the solstice they skipped that step for better and for worse. Still I love driving this car and have NO PLANS TO SELL IT!

{fineprint} at least not till I can afford to buy that nextgen dodge viper

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was going to buy a Solstice and knew that this car was different, I bought it. It handles good, fast, really catches the eye and its American made. You either love this car or you hate it. They only made limited amount of coupes so they are rare from the start. I find the car very comfortable. Too bad GM was mismanaged into eliminating the Kappa platform, but I got one and plan to keep it around for a while. Overall this car feels good and looks spectacular. I have no complaints about it.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Cheerleader reference = GOLD. :lol:

Yes, OSU said "biased", not "based". And Edmunds is like a lot of the U.S. "automotive" press. Ever since the domestics got caught with their pants down in the late 70's to early 80's, they've been brow beaten by the press. Back then they deserved it and I think any honest owner of a vehicle of that vintage would agree.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Okay, read it. Pretty funny comments in there. Notice that Pontiac bracketed, taking 1 and 100?

The Aztek comments were hilarious. (My company supplied some components for that "car".) I read an article in a trade rag back then that was discussing how "Detroit" misuses focus groups. The groups gave feedback to GM that the Aztek was a turd and GM interpreted that as "They just don't get it yet." At the same time focus groups were telling Chrysler that they would buy the PT Cruiser in droves and Chrysler interpreted that as "They're just overly excited." As a result, Pontiac couldn't give away Aztek's and Chrysler lost millions in sales because they couldn't produce the PT fast enough to keep up with demand.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
The Edmunds review was even handed. The cars (like all cars) do have many flaws and limitations. The 100 Worst poll is a time waster put together by the usual junior writer that know little about the cars and just wants to get something up on a website. Ho hum. They obviously wanted to provoke reaction from readers. Clearly they did that from the posts in this thread.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Funny things is- I don't disagree with these assertions...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Seen it. Refuse to click the link again. Edmunds is a horrendous, foreign biased site.
Actually, on the list:
American: 52
Foreign: 48

Actually closer if you count the mixed breeds like the Chrysler Maserati TC (I counted as American).

Look at it this way, the next crappy car to come along will knock the Solstice off the list.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.