Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was surfing around and found VIN # 1G2MF35X58Y0026EX being advertised as a loaded GXP coupe for the 2012 Barrett Jackson auction. It sold for $42K.

Originally it started off as a 08 vert (GXP?) pulled off the production line and converted into a white GXP concept coupe w/Hydo Blue Heritage/Street Edtion racing strip, and displayed at the 08 SEMA show.

Barrett Jackson ad:
- Barrett-Jackson Auction Company - World's Greatest Collector Car Auctions

Solsticeforum thread: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/1071311-post11.html

So even though the VIN indicates it's a 1 of 1, 2008 concept coupe, is it technically a coupe and should it increase the coupe production number from 1266 to 1267?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I actually saw that coupe get sold on Barrett Jackson. I believe they said there were 3 with the VIN ending in EX, which means experimental. Many insurance companies will not insure this vehicle and many states won't title it. But I did see it go! It was exciting!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Note that this car has no Certificate of Origin, therefore no title can be issued by any state. This car is NOT legal to be driven on public roads.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So even though the VIN indicates its an 1 of 1 08 concept coupe is it still technically a coupe and should it increase the coupe production number from 1266 to 1267?
No, because it didn't start off as a coupe. It was built as a 'vert, and then was modified INTO a coupe...kinda like what Norm was doing for 'vert owners that wanted to change their cars into coupes. If it started out AS a coupe, originally, well then, that would be a different story, but the fact that it was a 'vert that was later modified to look like a coupe makes it a non-issue.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
it is pretty to look at, but if you can't drive it... why bother ?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The buyer must have been issued a bill of sale in order to prove (or use to sell it in the future) that it is/was a legal purchase.

I understand it started out as a vert, however this was converted into a coupe by GM with (I'm assuming) OEM coupe parts. I'm also going to assume that all coupes started out as verts and turned into coupes on the assembly line.

Question; There isn't a number or letter in the VINs to indicate the body is a vert or coupe is there?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
the buyer must have been issued a bill of sale in order to prove (or use to sell it in the future) that it is/was a legal purchase.

I understand it started out as a vert, however this was converted into a coupe by gm with (i'm assuming) oem coupe parts. I'm also going to assume that all coupes started out as verts and turned into coupes on the assembly line.

question; there isn't a number or letter in the vins to indicate the body is a vert or coupe is there?
The B-J description indicates that the sale is accomplished via a Bill of Sale if you read through it to the end.

1g2mf35x58y0026ex

for 2008 and 2009, position 6 in the VIN indicates number of doors as well as coupe, hardtop, or convertible.

Let's see, a 3 in position 6 means, yep, a 2 door convertible.

:dthumbs:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
It's akin to private art collectors who purchase the great paintings of the world and then keep them somewhere in a vault where no one can see them.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
DaveOC;1527497 1g2mf[B said:
3[/B]5x58y0026ex

for 2008 and 2009, position 6 in the VIN indicates number of doors as well as coupe, hardtop, or convertible.

Let's see, a 3 in position 6 means, yep, a 2 door convertible.

Just checked the VIN on the 09 coupe 1G2MT2, so the sixth character 2 denotes the body is a coupe?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Just checked the VIN on the 09 coupe 1G2MT2[/SIZE], so the sixth character 2 denotes the body is a coupe?

The 2 in the 6th position indicates that the vehicle is a 2-Door. Our Solstice "Coupes" aren't really a coupe, but a targa top convertible (thereby avoiding additional crash testing which would have been required if the vehicle had been designed as a true coupe.)

I can only determine that our coupe is a hybrid somewhere between a 1 (2-Door Coupe) and a 3 (2-Door Convertible). The 2 indicates (2-door ?) :rofl:

:dunno:

That is why I included the two PDF files in my previous message for the 08 and 09 model years.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just checked the VIN on the 09 coupe 1G2MT3, so the sixth character 3 denotes the body is a coupe?
Nope. The 3 in position #6 of our cars means convertible (or started out as a convertible in this case)

All Solstice coupes have a "2" in position #6 of the VIN.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts