182 Posts
Thanx...this is great!

·
Registered
535 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I thought all ecotec engines had cast aluminum oil pans. That one looks like stamped steel to me. Say it ain't so!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Here's a pic I just snapped of the oil pan on my VUE's 2.2L ecotec engine. Could that be just a plastic cover over the oilpan in the Sol? For some reason I was CERTAIN that all ecotec engines had cast aluminum!

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
I can't believe that I'm looking at pictures of used oil filters and finding them deeply engaging... :skep: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
106 Posts
CoolOne2006 said:
Doesn't the Sol use Mobile1 oil? I wouldn't think it would need an oil change that quickly!
Oil change following break in...

I was under the impression that it should be done @ 500 miles...

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
In the break-in thread I think we came to the conclusion that the optimal situation is to change the dino oil at 1000 with the filter for more dino oil, then at 3000 change again with synthetic.

The manual does not give a 500 or 1000 mile oil change suggestion I believe, it's just what we're going off of with other cars and info from several very knowledgable members.

·
Registered
535 Posts
theartfuldodger said:
Oil change following break in...

I was under the impression that it should be done @ 500 miles...
My CTS has mobile1 and they Cadillac states to not initially change the oil until 12K. So I plan on going with that in the Sol too unless Pontiac recommends it sooner.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The arguement over when to switch to synthetics can go forever. Essentially, there's camp that remembers when there was a special additive in the oil that came out of the factory. However, ALL oils are much better than that now and cars come with standard off the shelf oil, whether dino or syn and it does not matter any longer.

In this thread the arguement is somewhat flushed out (no pun intended, until I reread it :) ):
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4663&page=3

but it could go on and on.

BTW- There are still people out there that say not to use synthetics because they will cause oil leaks and not seal the piston rings to walls well. This is no longer true (if it ever was) either...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Now that you have done an oil change do you know if the oil pan plug bolt thing whatever it is called is magnetized. Is there any proof that it is beneficial to have it magnetized or not?

·
Registered
123 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
Is there any proof that it is beneficial to have it magnetized or not?
All having the oil plug magnetized will do is tell you if there is something causeing alot of wear or damage in the engine... but since the ecotec is aluminum a magnet isn't as much use.... just checking the oil filter could tell you the same thing

·
Registered
350 Posts
soslowgtp said:
All having the oil plug magnetized will do is tell you if there is something causeing alot of wear or damage in the engine... but since the ecotec is aluminum a magnet isn't as much use.... just checking the oil filter could tell you the same thing

You're right. I didn't think about that one. I do remember changing the oil on a new 97 Tahoe and it had many metal filings attached to it. I assume those were just the engine getting broken in, but I could be wrong. Didn't know if those could hurt the car or if everything would be stopped by the filter.

·
Registered
367 Posts
There are also screens someone is selling, I think its called "engine check" that go on the filter to catch metal shavings and such before entering the filter so one could see what's happening without cutting open the filter (what an aweful job). I think most of the big auto parts stores have them but I haven't checked for them.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts