Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with a dealer in the area and he indicated that there would probably be a 16-17th month wait.

If true, that is absolutely absurd.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think GM may shoot themselves in the foot with this one. Announcing, albeit limited, a release of 2005 of a car that cannot be acquired until 2007?

·
Registered
152 Posts
patience

let the impatient flee... that leaves a more exclusive car for me : )

There will be 4 billion Miata's on the road in a year. I'd rather have a truly beautiful car.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
thewizard said:
Mazda is seeming to be more appealing :(
I guess... I mean, if you were in the market for a roadster.. I was in the market for a Solstice, it just happeneds to be a roadster.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Dealers frequently make stuff up or shoot from the hip. If we've learned anything during this wait, it's that dealers can be bad source of info (except for the ones on this forum :thumbs: )

Shop around.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
thewizard said:
I think GM may shoot themselves in the foot with this one. Announcing, albeit limited, a release of 2005 of a car that cannot be acquired until 2007?

Mazda is seeming to be more appealing :(
GM announced that the Solstice would be limited in production, and has over 13,000 orders for 2006 Solstices.. How many orders does Mazda have for 2006 MX-5's? I really doubt that it would be close to that. but I know if they had 13000 orders there would be a wait for them too, the reason they have them sitting on the lots is because they can't sell them as fast as they build them (our Mazda dealership still has left over 2005's) where as Pontiac sells them Faster than they can build them....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mceb said:
Dealers frequently make stuff up or shoot from the hip. If we've learned anything during this wait, it's that dealers can be bad source of info (except for the ones on this forum :thumbs: )

Shop around.

I plan to, its just a serious letdown as I already had a hard enough time tracking down a dealer who had any information in the first place.

As for the miata, I just looked at it again and couldn't bring myself to even buy one. The look of the Solstice sold me long ago and I likely won't be aiming for anything else. I guess I'm just going to have to start calling dealerships again.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I hope 16-17 months, that give me more time on the roads not seeing many others. No, I feel very lucky and hope all get to enjoy the Solstice. :yesnod:

·
Registered
337 Posts
thewizard said:
I plan to, its just a serious letdown as I already had a hard enough time tracking down a dealer who had any information in the first place.

As for the miata, I just looked at it again and couldn't bring myself to even buy one. The look of the Solstice sold me long ago and I likely won't be aiming for anything else. I guess I'm just going to have to start calling dealerships again.

MIATA + CUTE = GIRLY CAR :blush:

SOLSTICE + CLASSIC ROADSTER = MANLY CAR :cheers:

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
GHM73 said:
let the impatient flee... that leaves a more exclusive car for me : )

There will be 4 billion Miata's on the road in a year. I'd rather have a truly beautiful car.
If Mazda decides to put two humps on the back deck of the Miata and add a little more HP there’ll be more than 4 billion on the road in 17 months. The Solstice will be known as the Ferio II project. :(

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mazduh would have to do a whole lot more than add humps to the back deck to make the MX 5 even 1/10th as curvaceous and sexy as the Sol.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Shop around for a dealer with cars available. I am kicking myself for not doing that.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
flaj said:
If Mazda decides to put two humps on the back deck of the Miata and add a little more HP there’ll be more than 4 billion on the road in 17 months. The Solstice will be known as the Ferio II project. :(
2 humps on a MX-5.. they could call it the Camelback Miata.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't understand Pontiac. The more they make - the more they sell. The Solstice has the potential to be the next Miata (in terms of quantity purchased).. yet they make a limited few. There's a waiting list that overlaps into the next model year. What kind of businesmen are these people? There could easily... easily be 10,000 Solstices on the road right now.. That's $220,000,000 worth in vehicles.. instead, there are only 500 - and many potential customers visiting other dealers because they need a car now.. or in 6 months. Imagine how much money they're losing because their planning and common sense has left the building.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
16-17 months sounds kinda long. Say they have 13k orders, fulfill 7k of them this year, plus by middle of next year they build 1/2 of a years allocation that's about 17k cars. That means they've built 4k more cars then they have scheduled to order (as of right now) by mid next year. Yes I know more orders will keep coming in, but it's a niche low volume car, not everyone in the USA is going to buy one. Plus some people will be going to the Sky side, or just drop off the list for whatever reason. If you get on a dealer allocation now, and you're just over their first 4 month allocation you should see your car sometime early next year. Not in the actual year 2007 like this person suggested.

Kepp calling dealerships. First ask how big their first 4 month allocation is. Then ask how many people are on their waiting list. What you're wanting is a dealership with a larger first 4 month allocation with whatever waiting line position you can get closest to the end of the first 4 month allocation part of it. For example a dealer with 15 allocation cars and you being #18 on the waiting list would possibly get you a car sooner then a dealer with 4 car allocation and you being #6 in line.

·
Registered
763 Posts
perhaps the hydrpforming limits production.... and the 16-17 month wait is ridiculous, you can find better.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
lupado said:
I don't understand Pontiac. The more they make - the more they sell. The Solstice has the potential to be the next Miata (in terms of quantity purchased).. yet they make a limited few. There's a waiting list that overlaps into the next model year. What kind of businesmen are these people? There could easily... easily be 10,000 Solstices on the road right now.. That's $220,000,000 worth in vehicles.. instead, there are only 500 - and many potential customers visiting other dealers because they need a car now.. or in 6 months. Imagine how much money they're losing because their planning and common sense has left the building.
Actually it makes a lot of sense if you think about it long term and not short term. If they saturate a niche market early on it becomes much harder to sell more cars later. They learned that lesson with the Fiero expecting to sell 100,000 a year. Also if you spend the massive ammount of money it would cost to hire a 3rd line, train them, and buy the equipment for them to work on and then you hit a market saturation point after a year of production, you've just wasted a ton of moeny on now useless equipment, and union workers you have to fire (firing union workes is never good money wise).

Just because there's a massive demand now doesn't mean there will be in a year from now. Look at the PT Cruiser, it had the same issue too. After one or two years at this pace the production rate will eventually match consumption rate and the lines will be working at optimal rates. Until then you play catchup. You loose short term money, but making the line a success longterm is where you make the big money.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts