Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the site and came up with nothing. Has anyone put 16" wheels on the rear of a solstice? 16x10 is what I am looking for. I'm afraid I will ether have to go custom wheels or change the bolt pattern. I would like to save that part of the budget for go fast goodies but a wide tire in the rear is critical to put the power to ground. Looking for the cheapest option first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I think you will have major problems with 16 inch wheel, meaning locating. Go with a top of the line tire.

I have a Mallett with a lot of horsepower, and unless I treat it crazy the Bridgestone R71's are great. Right below a race level tire. I also have a set of them on my Redline, it has a trifecta tune, charge tubes, DDM intercooler, Solo HF Cat and magna flow exhaust. They hold it no problem.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Not sure that'll be possible, the upper control arm will probably come in contact with the rim when the suspension is fully unloaded with a rim that wide. If it was some 16x7 winter rim it would probably work, but not 10" wide, take a look at the upper control arm and you'll see what i mean.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Hoosier and Toyo both make an 18" radial drag tire Tire Rack carries them Summit Racing also carries a line of 18" radial drag tires

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure that'll be possible, the upper control arm will probably come in contact with the rim when the suspension is fully unloaded with a rim that wide. If it was some 16x7 winter rim it would probably work, but not 10" wide, take a look at the upper control arm and you'll see what i mean.
I guess I will have to do some measurement before the body goes on. hopefully I can at least get some wider 17" wheels to fit. What is the widest people are running?

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Running 17x10 CCWs on the rear with MT ET Street 275s. CCW makes 16s as well. Bogart Racing will make any configuration of wheel you want. Dont believe you will have the clearance for 16s even with stock brakes. Go any wider than 285 and the tires will stick out of the wheel well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Running 17x10 CCWs on the rear with MT ET Street 275s. CCW makes 16s as well. Bogart Racing will make any configuration of wheel you want. Dont believe you will have the clearance for 16s even with stock brakes. Go any wider than 285 and the tires will stick out of the wheel well.

Are you running a stock off set? I would assume you're running 275/40 17's? Those are damn nice wheels, I hope I have enough money in the budget for something like that.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Are you running a stock off set? I would assume you're running 275/40 17's? Those are damn nice wheels, I hope I have enough money in the budget for something like that.
Back space on the rear wheels is 7 and 13/16ths if I recall correctly. You are correct, we are using 275/40 17s. The 17in wheels have replaced a set of CCW 19s that I have had on the car since it was converted.

18s are fine if what you are looking for is....fine. I got bored and a little angry with "fine". Sure, I got around an autox course "fine". I got down a drag strip "fine". And I cruised to shows and around town just "fine". "Fine" got boring. I got mad that I paid good money for HP that I couldnt use through the first 3 gears. I have had my fill of autox and track days and want to drag race the car. So we are remedying the traction issue and building a 1/4 mile car that I can squeeze every last 10th out of. So that means 17in wheels will perform better than 18s. They`re not as good as 16s. Those arent as good as 15s. The 17s are a compromise so I could keep the big brakes on the rear.

If your on a tight budget your best bet will be 18s. There are lots of choices there. I looked high and low and the only wheels I found that were in the diameter (16-17) and weight I wanted were from custom builders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts