Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, OK not Solstice, but at least a Solstice engine being put into a Lotus Europa (wet weight about 1620).

Most of you guys probably don't know/remember a lot about thos cars, but they were a midengined car designed by Chapman to be as light as possible and powered by a Renault or Lotus Ford engine. Tons of room in the engine bay, and arguably the best handling of any car in the late 1960s through early 1970s.

Ecotec swap - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

Arguably the coolest thing next to an Ariel Atom that has doors. The owner is thinking of going for 400 BHP.....but he is using a Europa S, the late model that looks like the Elise etc., so maybe 2,000 lbs. I want one in the original Europa!

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
OH I remember them. A friend had one, a JPS in full black and gold livery. He was surprised one day when he suddenly saw something race past in front of him. It was his own front wheel.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A nice JPS Twin Cam brings a good buck these days. I almost bought one way back when for $1200 (they bring 20 times that + now) but as I am of ...generous physique, and you have to grease me up to slide me into the driver seat, I demurred. I actually did sit in it, but decided that having to get out of the car by opening the door and collapsing face first into the pavement and then dragging the rest of my body out on my hands and knees might get a bit old after awhile, particularly if you had to get out in front of people or in inclement weather/road surfaces.

The street Lotuses were pretty decent as far as reliability, but the race cars were built to last a season - or close to it if you were lucky. The search for lightness resulted in some spectacular DNFs.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
My brother-in-law had one, it spent twice as much time in the shop as it did in his garage. It was a fun little car when it was working, which wasn't often.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I test drove one in my youth almost bought it, damn that car was fun, alas Uncle Sam called and that was the end of that dream.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey Bill, think you could shoehorn a Solstice into an MGB?

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Bill, think you could shoehorn a Solstice into an MGB?
Slam dunk into an MGC, as they enlarged the engine compartment to fit the 3 litre 6 for that. In an MGB I am not absolutely sure. I've been advocating it for some time to the MGB guys. Looks like the front sump and water pump projection might need some mods to clear.

But heck, I stuck a 3.4 GM V6 into my MGA and there was no guidebook to that - solved lots of problems to do it, so I'd say yes, it could be done, the only question is how much work would it be?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts