Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Next year is rumored higher output engine.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Am I the only one tired of hearing this? The car is not meant to be a 300hp v8 sports car. If thats what you want go buy one. Its meant to be a back to basics, low tech, extreme handling roadster. I think in its current state it fits the market just fine.

I think all of us would love more HP but enough is enough already.

Maybe im just crankie from EOP Day stress. I just want the damn car already

·
5,641 Posts
Billabongi said:
Am I the only one tired of hearing this? The car is not meant to be a 300hp v8 sports car. If thats what you want go buy one. Its meant to be a back to basics, low tech, extreme handling roadster. I think in its current state it fits the market just fine.

I think all of us would love more HP but enough is enough already.

Maybe im just crankie from EOP Day stress. I just want the damn car already
Maybe you can join Chris in angermanagment ;) . Wasn't he picked up in Florida? Talk to you after 2:00pm. Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
WTF? Why can't GM have the LS2 at least be an option on the Solstice? And where are my twin fender mounted machine guns? And no ejection seat standard!?!?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Billabongi said:
I think in its current state it fits the market just fine.
I agree. They'll have no problem selling it provided it doesn't prove to be a deathtrap like the Fiero.

While I like the price because it's currently affordable for me, I think the car's unique design merits a higher sticker (perhaps accompanied by slightly higher performance), if only to make sure it doesn't become the cookie cutter car of every Apprentice wannabe.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
srt-4bones said:
ok 177 hp still too low!
Um, for a non-boosted i4 engine 177HP is fairly respectable. Especially for the price you're getting this car for. Yeah, there are more powerful i4 engines in cars like the RSX-S or S2000, BUT those cars cost a good bit more and their compression ratios are even more astronomical then the 2.4L ECOTEC.

From your name I'm guessing you have an SRT-4. Your car might have a powerful Tubocharged i4 and not be too expensive, but Dodge cheaped out on various other areas in order to get to that price point. For example the car is only FWD, is still based off a normal Neon so a lot of the suspension (and everything else) is still normal Neon parts except for what they upgraded possibly, I'm betting it has a far less ridgid chasis too which contributes to it's lower .85G skidpad values, etc. The Solstice design/chasis/components and the fact that it's a convertible are what you're getting instead of a more powerful engine, for less money too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
brentil said:
Um, for a non-boosted i4 engine 177HP is fairly respectable. Especially for the price you're getting this car for. Yeah, there are more powerful i4 engines in cars like the RSX-S or S2000, BUT those cars cost a good bit more and their compression ratios are even more astronomical then the 2.4L ECOTEC.

From your name I'm guessing you have an SRT-4. Your car might have a powerful Tubocharged i4 and not be too expensive, but Dodge cheaped out on various other areas in order to get to that price point. For example the car is only FWD, is still based off a normal Neon so a lot of the suspension (and everything else) is still normal Neon parts except for what they upgraded possibly, I'm betting it has a far less ridgid chasis too which contributes to it's lower .85G skidpad values, etc. The Solstice design/chasis/components and the fact that it's a convertible are what you're getting instead of a more powerful engine, for less money too.
yes i do have an srt-4 04 black .is there something wrong with fwd ? and no it does not have any normal neon parts(except body).

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
srt-4bones said:
yes i do have an srt-4 04 black .is there something wrong with fwd ? and no it does not have any normal neon parts(except body).
FWD is usually not associated with being a real high performance car. All of your real sports cars are all RWD or AWD. You can make a performance car out of FWD, but to most enthusiasts it's just not the real thing. FWD has always been associated with cost cutting methods, and not methods for making a car a better sports car.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the SRT-4 is a bad car, I thought about getting one myself too. I'm just pointing out that there are unfortunately trade offs, fairly big trade offs, when you're talking about a sub-$40,000 car. Especially $20,000 cars. SRT-4 got the power performance trade off, the Solstice gets the handling performance trade off.

Of course till the Solstice GT comes out that is. :D

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
brentil said:
FWD is usually not associated with being a real high performance car. Most of your real sports cars are all RWD or AWD. You can make a performance car out of FWD, but to most enthusiasts it's just not the real thing. FWD has always been associated with cost cutting methods, and not methods for making a car a better sports car.
Saab, MiniCooper, maybe not designed to perfrom from the start, but perform they did.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
achieftain said:
Saab, MiniCooper, maybe not designed to perfrom from the start, but perform they did.
Unfortunately SAAB is not known to be big contender here in the States. I wouldn't be suprised if GM ended up selling more Solsti+Sky's per month then all the SAABs put together.

The Mini was such a huge hit over seas because of it's very low price point that it's become a sporty car over time thanks to it's popularity. At first though it was just an extremely light, low powered, cheap car.

But you're right they're both good performance FWD cars. They're just not real sports cars though is what I'm trying to say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
brentil said:
Unfortunately SAAB is not known to be big contender here in the States. I wouldn't be suprised if GM ended up selling more Solsti+Sky's per month then all the SAABs put together.

The Mini was such a huge hit over seas because of it's very low price point that it's become a sporty car over time thanks to it's popularity. At first though it was just an extremely light, low powered, cheap car.

But you're right they're both good performance FWD cars. They're just not real sports cars though is what I'm trying to say.
i believe that is your opinion. i would have to say more ppl would disagree with u ,than agree. i have done a few mods to my srt,no its not a sports car as far as lambos ,porche,mustang and corvette, but i race at a local drag strip and i have beat mustang cobra's gt's and corvettes. if you dont want to call my car a sports car(which i never thought of it that way anyway) fine by me . i'll be waiting for u at the end of the track.

·
Registered
228 Posts
srt-4bones said:
i believe that is your opinion. i would have to say more ppl would disagree with u ,than agree. i have done a few mods to my srt,no its not a sports car as far as lambos ,porche,mustang and corvette, but i race at a local drag strip and i have beat mustang cobra's gt's and corvettes. if you dont want to call my car a sports car(which i never thought of it that way anyway) fine by me . i'll be waiting for u at the end of the track.
Damnit we were doing so good with out the young im better then everyone flamers coming in here. Why now!

Sorry to offend you but your entire last post makes you out to be a very typical young I have the fastest car in the world person. Theres always going to be someone faster then you sorry.

Your car is not a sports car I hope thats not debated. Its a economy car with a turbo. Your own car maker has no problem marketing it as such.

Ill stop here though to try to prevent this turning into a flame war, which you've tried to start.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I had a nice long post ready, but I'm just going to say I agree with Billabongi and stop there. :brentil:

·
Registered
535 Posts
The SRT-4 is an awesome bang for the buck car. Very quick, but drag racing is a very limited test of a car's / driver's abilities. I also drive a FWD sport compact due to my needs at the time of purchase and while I love my car and have modified it to drive quite well, the fwd aspect still sucks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I shall now hijack this hijacked thread! But only to bring us semi-back onto topic :cool: I would say the "why doesnt it have more power?" question has definately been played out now. We must accept that Pontiac in their infinite wisdom has chosen to put the 177 ecotec in, which is far from bad. But the point I would make is with all the hype and hope of there being a charged version, more than likely they WILL put one out, and if they dont, there WILL be aftermarkets,which will bump the power up to somewhere around 250-270 I believe? VERY respectable, and you can bet I'm going to have one! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts