Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at all the stuff I have collected on the Solstice and something caught my eye. With so much speculation on the delivery date of the first 1000 - July, Aug., and some say Oct. If I am not going to get my EOP car until Sept. or Oct. I want the "18-Inch Chrome (Ava. Sept. 2005) option. I am saying the proof is in black and white that the first 1000 will be coming sooner than later. Do you think GM would miss out on 1000 customer wanting chrome wheels at $1000 dollars a pop. If GM is lurking and it is going to be late Sept. or Oct. before the first 1k - make the chrome wheel option available now!!!!!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crimson Avenger said:
You might want to edit your post and add, We'll WAIT!;)

My point of the thread was that we will see our 1k before Sept., not later. :willy:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
A lot of it more then likely has to with GM not knowing exactly if they're going to get production on time or not.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Just an aside. Does anyone have a clue as to why some brands of chrome rims for cars as so exspensive, even in the 18-20" diameter range? When others are far more reasonable?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
PAS22 said:
Just an aside. Does anyone have a clue as to why some brands of chrome rims for cars as so exspensive, even in the 18-20" diameter range? When others are far more reasonable?
Name brands maybe. Also quality of materials used might matter.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
I bet quality has a lot to do with it! Some chrome wheels hold up well a long time, while others look like trash a year or two later. I don’t know what is involved in the process of materials that makes the difference, but there certainly is one!

As for the timing, I was under the impression the late October delivery date was a “cover our rear” date by GM, just in case things go wrong, there are delays, or what not.
For example, GM has 200 orders for first 1000 Solstices with leather, but the leather supplier is a month and a half late. GM still may build the other 800 cars, and then some regular allocations before leather shows up. So cars with that option could end up delivered much later than the rest (I only used leather as an example, it could happen with any particular option).

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
brentil said:

Thanks. I imagine there could be a significant difference in materials (all chrome virsus chrome plating for instance). Last year I bought 18" AR chrome rims for my GMC that look great and were on sale for $165 each. Settled for these after looking at many in the $1,000 to $2,000 range.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
PAS22 said:
Cheaper wheels are usually cast and better wheels are forged I believe. Forging is much stronger, so they can be made lighter. Of coarse forging is much more expensive to do. There are also billit wheels that are machined from a solid peice of alloy and then riveted to the rim. I don't see this too much with FWD rims though. Also there are different grades of plating. Another factor is where they are made. You can bet the cheap ones come from China and the better ones may actually come from the US. Depends on the brand. And as others have pointed out, you will pay more for popular brand names.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.