Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, this brings back memories. I was hanging about this forum back in 2005 when I was trying to get my order in for one of the first 1000 cars. Long story short, dealer screwed up the paperwork, and I missed out. Luckily they felt bad enough to get me one of the first cars delivered. I believe I may have received this car before the full first 1000 were handed off to their buyers.

Well, after 10 years of ownership, I've found another car I want to stare at for the next decade. So I'm planning on selling my 2006 Solstice to make room. The car was ordered by me in 2005 (had to wait a full year and 3 weeks to receive it) with options of ABS, AM/FM radio (no XM/Sirius bump), Limited Slip diff, 5 speed. Exterior color Deep Interior is sand and slate leather. Always garaged, occasionally used, but often admired. Today the car is at the local dealer getting a full fluid flush (coolant, brakes and clutch) and it's annual oil change. By Wednesday, I'll have it back and be ready to market it.

Anyone on the forum have an idea of the value such a low mileage first year car might have? Also, forum members, where have you found best success in selling or buying a low mile car?

Thanks in advance for the help.

ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rob,

If I post the car for sale here (or if someone jumps on this post resulting in a sale), what's the appropriate membership level to do so? Want to make sure I help fund the community.

ron

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
:wtf: Question: A car "occasionally used" with a little over 1,800 miles and is getting brakes and clutch job? :huh:

Good luck with your sale... :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Unfortunately these cars have not reached collector car status yet maybe in another 20 years ? The prices are all over the board on these cars and a base (I own one ) is at the bottom of the list as far as prices go .I don't want to sound like a smart *ss but if you wanted to buy something to look at and not drive you should have bought a diecast model and put it on a self you would have saved yourself a ton of depreciation .On a good day with the right buyer you might get 12 grand out of it sorry to say it's nothing special like say a 1st 1000 car low mileage GXP ,or Coupe Good Luck !

·
Premium Member
17,538 Posts
:wtf: Question: A car "occasionally used" with a little over 1,800 miles and is getting brakes and clutch job? :huh:

Good luck with your sale... :cheers:
He said he is getting fluids changed. That is appropriate for a car of its age.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, it's not getting brakes and a clutch job. As stated, it's getting fluid flushes (replace 10 year old brake fluid and coolant) as recommended by the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found the Solstice to be a mundane driving car, albeit a stunning looking car. It wasn't a car that called me to go on a drive. I was hoping the car would be more fun than my 1962 Lotus Super Seven or my 1967 Mini Cooper S, but it turned out that when I had an opportunity to head to the garage and pick a car, the call of the Solstice was never as loud as its stable mates. Nonetheless, I loved the look, which is why I've hung on to it for a decade. I never expected appreciation in merely a decade. That normally takes 40 years. Just trying to figure out how a fellow aficionado would currently value it because they are the market. KBB and NADA don't have accurate numbers for low mile cars, and it's too young for Hagertys to have picked it up as a classic.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
FWIW, I've seen low mileage cars like yours being advertised from the mid to high teens, and even low 20s. Now...how much they actually sell for is anyone's guess. Essentially you have a new car, but on the other hand, there are articles like this saying not to buy one if you want to drive them: Stop Buying Old Cars With Super Low Mileage If You Want To Actually Drive Them

I understand (and agree) that KBB & NADA may not reflect it's current value, but chances are those are the resources that buyers will be using to determine its value. Which means that it becomes the sellers responsibility to convince buyers that even though the price is above the KBB & NADA values that the car is worth the price being asked. Generally speaking that is done through marketing, and the better the car is described and presented, the better chances it may attract the type of person that is looking for that type of Solstice. I'd also suggest advertising it in Hemmings and like car hobbyist/collector type publications.

BTW, I'd love to see pics of it.

As far as it becoming collectible I believe it will; eventually. I figure that if all those old sports cars from the past that were not known for being reliable, had questionable build quality, and little to no horsepower that have managed to become collectible and demand prices unheard of 20 years ago, then the Kappa platform should also be accepted someday as worthy of being a collectible.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
The wife might get mad at me, but here goes.

I'll give you $700.00 cash for it right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll take that as a down payment with the remaining $15,300 payable by wire transfer before delivery ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi ChopTop, Just got the car back from the dealer, serviced and ready for another decade of misuse ;) as requested, pictures. Not the best since it's too sunny and too late in the afternoon here, which washes out certain angles. But I suspect you'll be able to see the best and wash out the worst of these pix.

https://2006solstice.shutterfly.com/pictures?role=-2#n_5

Let me know whether this link works. Oh, there's one random shot that does not belong. That one is part of the photo shoot of my 1966 Lola T70 spyder race car. It's pretty obvious it's NOT Solstice appropriate. But Shutterfly made it too hard to delete, so you get the benefit of another garage toy that gets the same (maybe a bit more) mileage per year than the Solstice :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And CW, I applaud you for the cheap bid! I need you to come with me to negotiate for a Porsche GT3 RS. Those Porschefiles laugh at me when I offer realistic money for a stupidly overpriced car ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts