Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, back on the 7th of June, an idiot driver slammed into the left side of my Solstice. Her insurance company (who shall remain nameless right now) finally accepted responsibility, and my Solstice went into the shop on the 12th or so of June. The car was pretty messed up; left front fender, left door, left rear fender, rocker panel, and the left side of the rear bumper cover. The shop promised it to be ready the 7th of July, but finally called yesterday (the 17th) to let me know it was ready. I was apprehensive, and with good reason. Lots of misadjusted body panels, poorly matched paint, weather faded weatherstrip on the used door they procured, new scratches on the car, etc. Worst of all, the door sticker with the VIN of course is not on the replacement door. They cut out the piece of metal that the VIN sticker was stuck to on the old door and just threw it on the floorboard in the car. When I inquired what I'm supposed to do with it, they told me there is no way they could put it on the new door.
So, my question is whether or not there is a factory sponsored route one can pay money for to get a replacement sticker complete with the VIN put on the vehicle, or will I basically forever have a car that will not have much collector value in the future due to not having a matching VIN placard on the door?
Also, has anyone ever successfully sued an individual or an insurance company for the loss of value due to the CarFax now indicating that this vehicle has sustained more than 50% damage?
Had the wreck been my fault, I would be much more lenient. As it is, I find myself infuriated that I'm even having to deal with any of this. To add insult to injury, her insurance company has me driving a Fiat 500 since the 12th of June - what a piece 'o carp this car is!:brentil:

·
Super Moderator
16,529 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Refuse the car ! Just wondering do you take it to the body shop of your choice because that is your right.Call your agent and let him know what's going on and as a public service name the insurance company and body shop.I question why the parts used were from a junkyard as new parts are still available for our cars.Myself I would have insisted on a GM dearlership or a reputable body shop of my choice.I had an 88 LX 5.0 mustang that was nailed two weeks after I got it .Took it back to the dealer and all the panels that they replaced had code on them verifying that they were from Ford. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
This just happened today with a co-worker...and I was the assistant mgr of a body shop...

Refuse the car!!!!! Call your insurance company and tell them you have a collector vehicle!!! Tell them you want the job done correctly!!!

My coworker went to pickup his hail damaged truck. $2800 to do paintless dent removal on the hood...they could have painted a NEW hood and installed it for less. When he went to look at the hood under the hood liner, it was all scratched and bent from the paintless dent removal guy..... He refused it and immediately called his insurance company. The ins company called the repair shop and told them they were withholding the check until it was done properly. The shop called him and asked him what was wrong and how they could fix it. He told them replace the hood because he wasn't accepting it this way. They called the paintless guy and said he was done at their shop and now they're putting on a new hood.

You have the RIGHT to chose which shop you are taking your car too. Your insurance can "suggest" but can't tell you that you must take it to the shop they said.... You have the RIGHT to chose the shop. You also have the RIGHT to refuse your vehicle if it's not done correctly and if they want to be paid by the insurance company, they will fix it to your standards! If you have picked up your vehicle already, take it back immediately in the morning and tell them of your displeasure. Then contact your insurance adjuster immediately!!!!!!! I can't stress this enough!!!!

As far as value, it will be forever on CARFAX anyway.... and if people are looking for a collectable, it won't matter too much. Just save all of your documentation of the repairs and any before and after pics you might have.

If you need any help with what to say, PM me!

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
Refuse the car!!!!! Call your insurance company and tell them you have a collector vehicle!!!
That won't get you anything, and beside that it isn't true. It's just a normal depreciating vehicle that some people happen to be enthusiastic about.

Just tell them it was newer car in excellent shape and that's what you expect to get back. Tell them it's a collector's item and they'll laugh at you. I knew a guy that tried that with his fake Cobra kit car - they kept him cooling his heels for weeks and I suspect it was just because he was a pain in the ass.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
I don't think the collector argument is valid here as wspohn stated it's just a matter of opinion especially on our cars because they are so new.I am trying to get collector car plates here in Ohio and having a hell of a time because of this .The bottom line is the car is too new to be using junkyard parts! Stand your ground refuse the car and make your agent go to bat for you that's what you pay your premiums for! As a side note if you ever go to a specialized carrier such as Haggerty ,Heacock Classic,American Collectors Insurance etc. they have an agreed value and are generally a lot cheaper and provide better coverage because collector cars are their business.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
When I was rear ended, I called my insurance company. They took charge, gave me a list of approved body shops to choose from, and followed up on it. They paid for my repair (less the deductible which I got back when the case was subrogated), and the job was done to my satisfaction by a Chrysler dealer, using genuine GM parts. I pulled Carfax reports before and after the accident report, hoping to claim "diminished value", but the car was actually worth more after the repair. Several people have complimented me on the car's appearance, not knowing that it had been repaired.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a bunch; I'll show that to the body shop -- I think they should order it... I find it hard to want to lift even one finger to deal with this since it was so egregiously wrong. The girl came flying out of a parking lot across 3 lanes of traffic right into the side of me. How she didn't hit anyone else first is beyond me.
Yeah, I didn't accept it; there was way too much wrong with it. Hopefully it will be acceptable next go-round.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
kd4,

Not that I want to make you re-live the carnage, but did you take any pictures?

Also since we're both in Raleigh, please let me know where not to take my care for service/body work.

I hope they're able to make it right for you, good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have pictures of the carnage and pictures of the car before the carnage. I picked it up today, and aside from them screwing up the pin stripe on that side, which I will force them to fix, they adjusted the panels properly and will be ordering my VIN sticker. The paint is a very close match, but there was some mismatch before on a repair that was made at some time, so I can't rightly fuss about that too much.
This shop is Gerber Collision in Holly Springs. I will never take any vehicle there again.
Perhaps I will make it to the breakfast this Saturday after all!
-Matt

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Best word of advice I can give you if (God forbid) it ever happens again.... Is to look at the shops in your area and see who has older stuff (pre 1970) they're working on, or who has nothing but higher end luxury/sports cars they have in their parking lot.... (Maserati, Porsche, Audi, BMW, Corvettes, Cadillac, Lexus, etc)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts