1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Thanks, that was great! I used to work with an old Tech when I was a kid that worked with the Auto Union team back during the 1930's, he had some awesome stories as you can imagine.

If only Libya could still be part of Roman Catholic North African Empire!

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Awesome. And small world. I just posted on another thread how I would like to have wheels like those on this Jag, and here is a video of the very one! Thanks.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. And small world. I just posted on another thread how I would like to have wheels like those on this Jag, and here is a video of the very one! Thanks.
They were Dunlop peg drive (as opposed to spline drive like wire wheels). They used the same stryle wheel on a very few other cars - the Gordon Keeble GT (99 made) and the MGA Twin Cam (which I race).

Here is a pic of the knock on steel wheels:

njtex, thanks for the Tripoli clip. The picture I posted above was taken at Laguna Seca at the Monterey Historics. One of the years when I competed there, Porsche was the featured marque, and the flew several cars over. I was able to watch something very memorable - Fangio driving (and very nearly spinning) an Auto Union at full cry.

I also got to see other interesting things that year like the long tail 917 Le mans cars which started up with one touch (early fuel injection) while they sprayed and did plug changes on the carbbed cars!

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Well, thanks again! Good to know there are folks out there that can keep the carbs "balanced"...............

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, thanks again! Good to know there are folks out there that can keep the carbs "balanced"...............
Wanna see the engine from Hell as far as carbs and tuning are concerned? Fortunately it stays in tune once you get it right.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
Wanna see the engine from Hell as far as crabs and tuning are concerned? Fortunately it stays in tune once you get it right.
Ain't no damn crabs in Vancooover. We got 'em all in Maryland!

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
457 Posts
Wow! Remarkable! I cannot imagine doing 185 down the Mulsanne straight dodging worrying about weaving bicycles with a large microphone plastered to my face. Nor can I imagine riding a bicycle and having a car whiz past at 185 mph!

Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Wanna see the engine from Hell as far as carbs and tuning are concerned? Fortunately it stays in tune once you get it right.

Horrors! Jensen? Lambo? Looks like two straight 4's side-by-side!

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lamborghini V12 - essentially two straight 6's on a common crankcase. It even has a separate distributor for each side so you can muck up the timing on one half only.

Problem with tuning is that with 12 throats, any change you make on a single one has very little effect so hard to tell if you are heading in the right direction or not. Fuel injection is SO much better as it self tunes!

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Gotta love those Italian tractor folks!

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some pretty interesting car manufacturers started out as tractor builders!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts