Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has considered changing the seats in thier Solstice? I put in 1995 300ZX seats, which are sought after in the custom build world due to their good looks, incredible comfort, adjustable side bolster, and 6 way power driver.

I gotta tell you that it is an incredible difference. I have a car that can crush a 2005 911 (raced a friend up Palomar mountain and then swithed cars and did it again to eliminate driver skill) with these very poor quality cheesy little seats that gave me back pain in 20 minutes. This was not an easy conversion and the seats barely fit, but I would have sold the car without this modifcation.

The seats look really slick in the car and give it an upgraded feel. Anyone else do a seat swap? what did you use? are you happy?

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
pictures ?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
You can't start a post telling us how good something looks and not post pictures! :willy:

·
Registered
564 Posts
You can't start a post telling us how good something looks and not post pictures! :willy:
I agree! That's just plain wrong not post pics!
In the words of a famous character,"Verwy Verwy Interwesting"

Haha Elmer Fudd of course if that isn't clear:cool:

Bert

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Several folks have switched seats, however most have gone aftermarket. Question is do you also have the 300 seats mounting brackets? Removing the OEM seats is straight forward, what's left is the bolts floorboards. So you may have to redrill the 300 seats brackets so they can be attached to the OEM floorboards bolts.

Keeping power is a separate issue, however several years (07-09) of Kappa's did come with a power height adjustment feature.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am waiting for pictures as well! I have been interested in a seat swap, but don't want to go with an aftermarket racing seat.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Funny, I find the Solstice seats to be among the best in terms of combination of comfort with side support, and it would never occur to me to want to swap them out for something else.

You'd have to be very careful about seat height. I don't think you want higher mounting seats in either convertible or coupe - if anything, I'd think about mounting mine lower!

In the old British sporst car world, the Fiero, Miata (and someday Solstice) seats are the ones considered for swapping as they are all very good.

Do the 300 seats have thicker padding, or what?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Keeping power is a separate issue, however some 09s Kappa's did come with a power height adjustment feature.
My 07 has factory power seat height adjuster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What really sux is, i just found my ower seat button on my 08 yesterday, got all excited thinking i could lower it so i wouldn't bang my head as much getn in, only to find out it was bottomed out already:(

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Agree - we need a seat height mechanism removal mod thread!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, sorry. Pictures will come today. It was not an easy swap and seat height is an issue to watch but it worked out fine. I made 4 flat brackets for each seat about 2.5 inches long to go from hole a to hole b. I also flattened the ends of the 300zx seat brackets which had a 90% bend in front.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pictures

What? I need a URL for my pictures? How do I do that? What a pain.

·
Registered
715 Posts
You need a host site to attach photo's. Photobucket is who I use. Very simple. Download photos to photobucket and it then gives you the info to paste it for other online sites.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Those do look great! I see many s2000 swaps (not on Kappas) but I'm not really a fan of those.

The problem with most aftermarket swaps around here are the upper bolsters dont fit with the doors closed and if they do, most still lose access to the waterfall storage. These seem to be a good dimension.

I don't have issues with the stock cloth seats but the girl hates them. You mention it was a pretty difficult swap, other than fabbing the brackets, did you run into other issues?

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Several folks have switched seats, however most have gone aftermarket. Question is do you also have the 300 seats mounting brackets? Removing the OEM seats is straight forward, what's left is the bolts floorboards. So you may have to redrill the 300 seats brackets so they can be attached to the OEM floorboards bolts.

Keeping power is a separate issue, however some 09s Kappa's did come with a power height adjustment feature.
My experience is that most (all?) GXPs 07 and up had power seat height adjustment. Mine had cloth seats and power drivers seat. I believe that all 08 and up had power seats. When we did a poll a couple of years ago most drivers did NOT know that they had power driver seat adjustment till we showed them.:willy::thumbs:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Our '08s both have them. Those seats do look nice but I never had a problem with stock seats. I don't have the best lower back but never had problems driving either car long distances...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts