Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here’s a quick update on my LS3 upgrade :
I went up early to DDMWorks (8/27) since Isaac was coming to town and was able to watch Dave and Rick put the finishing touches on 1KULSOL.
Welllllll let me tell you it is a work of art … a big thanks go out to Rob and John the first 2 DDM upgrades for getting 97.3% ;) of the problems out of the way before mine was built … Dave and Rick still haven’t figured out a way to make the cruise control work but I have faith that will be resolved in the coming months.

We left DDMWorks shop at +/- 6:30p heading to the Maryland Mod Meet and I arrived at my motel at +/- 2:45a … per the DIC I got about 24.5mpg … the car ran smoothly on the highway … idling and start up was giving me problems but got progressively better over the weekend … my speedometer was off by 7mph (per GPS) though … Dave is passing on to Ken (tuner) that I have the 3.23 rear end (3.91 is stock) and 255/45/18 tires (245/45/18 is stock) … also some adjustments to start up air etc to smooth out idle and start up issues.
I will be getting the cable and file from Dave next week and will flash the updated tune to 1KULSOL. I found out that it doesn’t really like to operate below 1500 rpm’s unless your cruising at highway speeds or running thru the gears.

You have to see and hear the car to really appreciate it … is it for everyone … no .. is it loud … yes … but not that bad at highway speeds. One project I will be doing over time is adding sound proofing to 1KULSOL to help with the additional noise.

The T56 was a little sticky at first but again gets better as each day goes on … I added the GXP springs to the front and this provided the additional ground clearance I wanted since I have the Koni Sport shocks and this had lowered the front end a little too much.
I am not posting any pictures as Dave/Rick took a bunch and will be posting them later.

AM I satisfied? YES!!!!!!! The attention to detail by Dave and Rick is unbelievable … everyone that has seen 1KULSOL comments on the OEM appearance … and I have gained a new group of “haters” ;) ..

and I will be attending DDMWorks Open House Oct 19 – 21 just in case anyone wants to see it in person.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the DDM Works V8 converted club!:cool:

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Great news. All but for the 2am thing LOL
I am running version 7 of the tune and it's doing very well. Which reared do you have?
I got 27 mpg coming down from Colorado to new Mexico

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
Mike,

Congratulations, and I'm really happy to hear you like the new power under the hood. If your speedo is off by 7 mph, chances are your mpg is off by about the same amount.

Keep us in the loop on this next generation of 1KULSOL !

·
Registered
459 Posts
He has the same differential I have; 3.23
Rob, how fast were you going to get 27 mpg? I don't think I can get that much and I wonder why, since my diff ratio is better for getting good mpg. Maybe tune number 8 has something to do with it?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just calculated my combined city/highway mileage and i get 17mpg. That is equal amount of city and highway driving. I will have to see what my pure highway mpg is once I get the chance to drive some distance on highway only.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I got 27 mpg coming down from Colorado to new Mexico
That doesn't sound like a performance car the way I thought yours was going to be. I was thinking you would be getting around 17 - 20 MPG after DDM Works did the job on your Punisher.... I was wrong AGAIN... :)

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Well hell, dude. I've seen so few Solstices here in BR that perhaps yours was one of 'em. I'd love to see it up close sometime should you have some free time.

-Jeff

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Check your power steering lines where they cross in front of the motor. At 80 mph the cooler was pushed to the rear and rotated enough to bring the return hose into contact with the bottom pulley. It wore a hole in the line and we had an exciting couple of hours figuring out a field expedient repair.

I am going to fabricate another bracket.

·
Registered
459 Posts
We have different setup in the front of our engines. Your pulleys are not the same as ours.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just a quick update ... I received the modified tune from Dave/Ken ... it was the same as Rob's with a minor adjustment for the different rear end and tires ... speedometer and gps are within 1 to 1 1/2 mph of each other ... probably better thab when it came from the factory .... much smoother idle and startup is much better ...and according to the latest "buttometer" ... it "feels" faster ... I'm going to run another log file and send it off to Dave/Ken so they can see how it's responding.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Punisher is running really well. As the tranny breaks in, it's a joy to drive.
Tune 9 did not eliminate the cat efficiency code totally. As soon as the ambient temp went belly 50 f, it turned on the CEL still runs great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts