·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome to the First Annual LISSC​

Gold Coast Run
The Autumn Classic​

September 30, 2007
Rain Date TBA: (Either Oct.7 or Oct. 28.)
Meet up at Eisenhower Park, East Meadow, NY (Map Link) Between 7:30 and 8:30 AM
(Try to be there by 8:00 for pre-run details.)

Parking Field # 5

If you come in via the Hempstead Turnpike main entrance, just follow the main road. All the parking lots are on your left (except the golf course/catering lot) and you will see us (We’ll have a LISSC sign) and you’ll actually pass us to get to the U-Turnaround, which will take you directly across into the lot.

If you come in via the Merrick Ave. main entrance, follow the main road exactly 1 mile to the Parking Lot #5 entrance on your right. If you blow it and pass us, you will have to U-Turn again. There is only an exit at the other end of Field #5.

Fuel up before you come. Some of Long Island’s cheapest gas is found along Hempstead Turnpike. I have bought regular (not for my GXP!!!!) for as low as $2.73/gal. Also, grab some coffee and a breakfast sandwich to eat at the start. Our first stop has no substantial food.

Don’t forget your sunscreen, sunglasses and water! We will make 2 P-Stops and 1 food stop. There will be a chance to stretch and look around at the breaks. We might even absorb some culcha.

This run will follow much of the famous Long Island Gold Coast, so read The Great Gatsby the night before!

There will be a few broad boulevards, some easy 2 lane blacktop for scenic cruising, and some technical sections requiring your undivided attention. A navigator in the other seat wouldn't be a bad idea. Bring a significant other (or even an insignificant other will do!).

We will leave Eisenhower Park at exactly 8:30 AM, but if you are late and you miss us, you can join up by making your way as directly as possible to the beach and restaurant strip in Bayville (the western end). This link will let you Mapquest it now and print it out, just in case something delays you. We will pass through Bayville and if you get there straightaway, you will beat us to the beach and can join up as we go through. There are some restaurants there and we could stop here a minute to refresh your coffee if any are open, even though this is not an official pit stop.

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY: Lil’Oggi (the lead car) has two phone numbers.
The On*Star phone # is 631-617-4403
Denise’s Cellphone # is 631-806-0364
We have 4 radios. If you have radios, bring them. We’ll link up frequencies before we leave. Buy fresh batteries. Used batteries weaken the signal and allow interference.

We will leave by the southern exit of Parking Field #5.
Zero up one of your trip odometers here, and leave it up in the display.
All directions have mileage indications to aid you should we lose sight of each other (in really heavy fog?).

Every car will get a packet with turn by turn instructions, maps, another copy of this page and background material on some of the sites of interest along the way.

Brunch at the Three Village Inn in Stony Brook will immediately follow the run. It is optional, so please PM me to let me know if you are staying or if you have to leave early. All the details are posted below, including the menu.

Please confirm on this thread.
Reach me by posting on this thread or by PM.

This event is hosted by The Long Island Solstice Sky Club and is open to all.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So far I've got:

Xmicro_Redline
spiky3480
maxblast
dozin
SolsticeSJA

IT'S A START! :yesnod:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Im in for the 30th.....

·
Registered
579 Posts
Welcome to the First Annual LISSC​

Gold Coast Run
The Autumn Classic​

September 30, 2007
Meet up at Eisenhower Park, East Meadow, NY 7:30 AM
Parking Field # 5

If you come in via the Hempstead Turnpike main entrance, just follow the main road. All the parking lots are on your left (except the golf course/catering lot) and you will see us (We’ll have a LISSC sign) and you’ll actually pass us to get to the U-Turnaround, which will take you directly across into the lot.

If you come in via the Merrick Ave. main entrance, follow the main road exactly 1 mile to the Parking Lot #5 entrance on your right. If you blow it and pass us, you will have to U-Turn again. There is only an exit at the other end of Field #5.

Fuel up before you come. Some of Long Island’s cheapest gas is found along Hempstead Turnpike. I have bought regular (not for my GXP!!!!) for as low as $2.73/gal.

Don’t forget your sunscreen, sunglasses and water! We will make P-Stops and food stops. There will also be a couple of stretch and look around breaks incorporated. Even some culcha and polatix.

This run will follow much of the famous Long Island Gold Coast, so read The Great Gatsby the night before!

There will be a few broad boulevards, some easy 2 lane blacktop for scenic cruising, and some technical sections requiring your undivided attention.

We will leave Eisenhower Park at exactly 8:00 AM, but if you are late and you miss us, you can join up by making your way as directly as possible to the beach and restaurant strip in Bayville (the western end). Mapquest it now and print it out, just in case something delays you. We will pass through Bayville and if you get there straightaway, you will beat us to the beach and can join up as we go through.

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY: Lil’Oggi (the lead car) has two phone numbers.
The On*Star phone # is 631-
Denise’s Cellphone # is 631-806-0364
We have 4 radios. If you have radios, bring them. We’ll link up frequencies before we leave. Buy fresh batteries. Used batteries weaken the signal and allow interference.

We will leave by the southern exit of Parking Field #5.
Zero up one of your trip odometers here, and leave it up in the display.
All directions have mileage indications to aid you should we lose sight of each other (in really heavy fog?).

Every car will get a packet with turn by turn instructions, maps, another copy of this page and background material on some of the sites of interest along the way.

Reach me by posting on this thread.
Please confirm on this thread.

This event is hosted by The Long Island Solstice Sky Club and is open to all.
This sounds great I`m in for 30th.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Count me in for the 30th ! I'll be relaxedly sipping a cup of coffee on the twisties while all you manual tranny guys are busy shifting :)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Count me in for the 30th ! I'll be relaxedly sipping a cup of coffee on the twisties while all you manual tranny guys are busy shifting :)
Not these twisties. :eek:

Welcome aboard.

Hey everybody, try not to quote the announcement. Just use "Post Reply", OK? Thanx.

·
Registered
246 Posts
By the way...wondering how many of us are planning to bring wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends ? I'm trying to get my better half to attend this event...

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way...wondering how many of us are planning to bring wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends ? I'm trying to get my better half to attend this event...
Thanx for reminding me. I wanted to mention that it'll be even more fun if you can sit someone in the navigators seat. There'll be points of interest and notations in the directions that a passenger can point out to you. Plus, we hardly ever see the spouses.
Now my wife tells me she has a seminar on the 30th. On a Sunday! I'm trying to talk the little workaholic out of it.

Also, come to the meet personally fueled up. There is no breakfast stop. Although there may be some snax available at the pit stop, it won't be a meal. Lunch comes later.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So far I've got:

Xmicro_Redline
spiky3480
maxblast
dozin
SolsticeSJA
V-Star
Richfly
Reedred
LongIslander
XMacro_Redline
Maika'i GXP
Mr. Hankey
and Lil'Oggi

Perris is a Maybe

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
So far I've got:

Xmicro_Redline
spiky3480
maxblast
dozin
SolsticeSJA
V-Star
Richfly
Reedred
LongIslander
XMacro_Redline
and Lil'Oggi
I won't know if I can make it till we get closer to the date, I work on sundays but somethines I can get off

I'll do what I can

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
The Great Gatsby! I'm really upset that ICG! :cryin:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
The Great Gatsby! I'm really upset that ICG! :cryin:
:agree: Too many events happening at the same time. :(

I swear of one of these days I WLL make it out there for one of the Long Island events.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Catching Up

Solli and Dengel

Have fun at the Dells. We'll see you next month on the Hudson Valley run.

Denise and I have been out of the house all day. We waxed Lil'Oggi at OBI and stayed real late, into the motorcycle hour. Then, after getting some breakfast, visiting my Mom in the hospital and feeding her cats, we went to Eisenhower Park and ran the Gold Coast course, from beginning to end. I had never done that, and there were parts of the second segment I hadn't even seen, except on a map. It was awesome, really. Some of these roads look like they should be private lanes, but they're not, they're public.

It's all blacktop. A few areas have some rough pavement, but no potholes, dirt, gravel or any other such nonsense. Automatic drivers, you may have to shift!

I have some adjusting to do this week, and I need to fix some mileage counts. Currently, the whole run is just under 70 miles. Section one takes an hour and section two about an hour and fourty minutes. That may change a bit.

We will finish in time for lunch at a restaurant where we can see the parked cars. It was to be Port Jefferson, but the parking situation there is a monster.

I may also have to adjust our start time a little later depending on the opening hours of rest room services and such.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Lil' Oggi,

I'm really pumped for this now. The roads you described over lunch today sounded wonderful, and the restaurant should be amazing! If you decide to go out for another prerun between now and then, let us know- I'd like to join you if I can. Thanks for putting this together! :dthumbs:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Brunch

Okay! I've finalized the route. Some of the changes include adding a cool little technical stretch Dozin' took us on two weeks ago. It replaces a more boring straight road. Also, the run will now terminate in Stony Brook at the stunning 3 Village Inn. This saves us a relatively straightforward last schlep into Port Jefferson and also protects our cars. The other night Denise and I tested the Port Jeff. leg and stopped for ice cream. While Lil'Oggi was parked in front of the shop, IN MY SIGHT, a teener girl sat on the fender! Parking is tight and traffic in the town is zooey.

Food, Glorious Food!

The 3 Village Inn is only a few hundred yards from our last set of twisties. They promised to provide us our own reserved parking area right off the circular driveway where no one else will go. I saw it and I think we'll get a really cool picture of all the cars lined up in lanes there. Their menu (See below) is as extensive as it is varied and is $5 cheaper than it's nearest competitor, Pentimento. It is a one price brunch menu and it will be the perfect topper for our run through the Gold Coast.

Please note: The run is over when we reach the restaurant. There is no obligation to stay for food. I realize that many people have busy weekends and this run is only a part of this one, so if you have to leave, that's OK. I will need confirmations for the brunch part, though, since I have to give the restaurant a deposit and an estimate of the number in the party.

Take a look at the menu below, then PM me if you are eating or splitting. Thanx!

Served from 11:30 - 2:30pm Reserve Early!

Welcome! Sit back and enjoy. Brunch includes
Basket of Homemade Breads and Country Muffins,
Appetizer, Main Course, Dessert and Coffee Service

Brunch Cocktails $6.00
Kir Royal ~ Grand Mimosa
Pureed Peach & Chambord Bellini
Loaded Bloody Mary
Wild Berry Frozen Cosmo

APPETIZERS

Chilled East End Tomato Gazpacho
Topped With Cold Poached Baby Shrimp & Mango

Almond Crusted Brie
Baby Greens, Mandarin Slices, Raspberry Puree

Trio of Baked Stuffed Clams Oreganata
Chopped Top Necks with Herbs and Shallots

Grilled Chicken & Apple Sausage
Orange & Cranberry Chutney

Homemade Soup of The Day

Sliced Tropical Fruits and Berries, Kiwi Puree

Mixed Field Greens & Citrus Salad
Pink Grapefruit & Mandarin Slices,
Light Lemon Vinaigrette

Sliced Smoked Nova Salmon
Brioche Toasts, Red Onion, Capers & Hard Boiled Egg

Spinach and Feta Cheese Strudel
Crispy Julienne Leeks, Parmesan Cream Sauce

MAIN COURSES

Three Egg Frittata
Maine Lobster Meat, Bliss Potatoes,
Goat Cheese & Chives

Apple Cinnamon Stuffed Challah French Toast
Country Sausage and Canadian Bacon,
Vermont Maple Syrup

Buttermilk Belgium Waffle
Mixed Berry Compote, Fresh Whipped Cream,
Vermont Maple Syrup

Fresh Maine Seafood Salad over Sliced Tropical Fruits
Shrimp, Crab & Lobster in a Light Tarragon
Citrus Dressing

Light Cajun Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad
Crisp Romaine, Focaccia Croutons, Fresh Parmesan

Asian Pear and Goat Cheese Salad with
Fire Roasted Shrimp Crisp Greens, Spiced Pecans,
Sun Dried Cranberries, Golden Raisins,
Honey Dijon Vinaigrette

Spiced Rubbed Tilapia with Fresh Tomato
& Lump Crab Salsa, Avocado & Lime Aioli, Rice Pilaf

Grilled Salmon with Basil Pinot Grigio Reduction
Summer Squash Polenta Terrine

Thin Sliced Prime Rib Au Jus on Garlic Baguette
Fresh Mozzarella & Crispy Waffle Fries

Grilled Shrimp & Chicken Quesadilla
Monterey Jack & Cheddar Cheeses,
Chipotle Avocado Sauce

Farfalle Pasta & Pesto Rubbed Grilled Chicken Paillard
Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato Basil Sauce

Grilled Marinated Lamb Kabobs
Arugula & Plum Tomato Salad, Rice Pilaf,
Apple Mint Sauce

Yankee Pot Roast over Braised Red Cabbage & Apples
Caramelized Carrots, Homemade Potato Pancakes

Shrimp & Chicken Scampi over Angel Hair Pasta
Fresh Basil, Roasted Garlic, White Wine
& Plum Tomato Broth

$25 Per Person

FOR THE KIDS $11 (under 10)

Includes Appetizer, Main Course, Dessert
and Beverage

Fruit Cup or Apple Sauce

Scrambled Eggs, Crispy Fries
Fresh Chicken Fingers, Crispy Fries
Kid's Pasta, Marinara or Butter Sauce
Golden Buttermilk Waffle, Vermont Maple Syrup

Kid's Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae, Chocolate Chip Cookie

Lemonade, Sierra Mist, Pepsi, Milk, Shirley Temple, Apple Juice

The Three Village Inn. Picture taken from our parking spot!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
At this point, I'm probably going to bail out on lunch.

I was previoulsy committed to the WALK TO CURE DIABETES at SUNY OLD WESTBURY COLLEGE, at Old Westbury, NY on September 30, 2007 at 8:30AM. The son of good friends of ours has juvenile diabetes and we really need to show our support by attending that function.

As it stands now, my wife will be on the diabetes walk for a cure while I'm our North Shore run. Then my wife and I will meet up at the luncheon our friends are hosting.

In this way, I get to go on the run AND we don't insult our good friends. :)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts