Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I will say this. I went to open the driver side door the other day and guess what happened. The door handle came right off and out of the car. After further inspection you can see the handle is all plastic and there are what look like two plastic connections that hold it in place well both of those broke off. I have had the car 2 weeks and this happens. I spoke to the service department and they were like oh no!! They said I have to bring it in and see if the manager will sign off on ordering a new handle assembly for it. If he would??? Are you kidding me. Any thought's would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
tugmate said:
Well I will say this. I went to open the driver side door the other day and guess what happened. The door handle came right off and out of the car. After further inspection you can see the handle is all plastic and there are what look like two plastic connections that hold it in place well both of those broke off. I have had the car 2 weeks and this happens. I spoke to the service department and they were like oh no!! They said I have to bring it in and see if the manager will sign off on ordering a new handle assembly for it. If he would??? Are you kidding me. Any thought's would be appreciated.
I'm sure you won't have any problem havivg it fixed.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Warranty should definitely cover your damage, as long as no one can proove negligence(i.e. tampering, previously fixed damage to the door....) just take it in to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
:eek:

Do you think someone might have been tampering with your car without your knowledge? As in a really lame attempt to break in by pulling the door handle as hard as they could?

I sure hope this doesn't become commonplace!

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Wasn't the door handles one part that they "saved" money on? :confused: I thought that the pre-production had better handle.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...bin parting

MSG_McKee said:
Wasn't the door handles one part that they "saved" money on? :confused: I thought that the pre-production had better handle.
Yes, but they saved by using an existing handle from another car, not by designing a cheap handle, didn't they? Probably just a fluke. Most door handle are metal (or carbon?) impregnated plastic these days, esp for smaller cars. Work fine, most times. Just don't try to rip open the door like the Hulk. lol.
:cool:

·
Registered
976 Posts
RichSol said:
Yes, but they saved by using an existing handle from another car, not by designing a cheap handle, didn't they? Probably just a fluke. Most door handle are metal (or carbon?) impregnated plastic these days, esp for smaller cars. Work fine, most times. Just don't try to rip open the door like the Hulk. lol.
:cool:

the concept had a hand crafted door handle, i believe. They did save a llittle on the handle by getting them from the parts bin, but nothing on this car should be so cheap as to fall apart in a couple months. Let's all just assume it was some fluke, and won't be a problem on the car in general.

·
Registered
11 Posts
well when my wife got in mine the day we got it inside the inside door handle there is a little plast cover that covers the screws.... yep you guessed it it fell off in her lap when she closed the door.... took it back to the dealer and he ordered another one.....

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I think if it was something that was going to be a common problem it would be a problem in the car that has been using it, although at the moment I can't remember what it is! Could be defective, could be tampering or could be that it was damaged during installation.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
You are correct, the Cobalt is the source.

Anybody know of any Cobalts with faulty handle issues?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I think the funniest design story is that of the door handles.

They were one of the KEY things that Lutz said he wanted to keep on the car "at all costs."

Well, when the bean-counters told him they were one-off handles that are hand-cast by a metalurgist in Italy... he quickly decided to scrap them. :)

·
Premium Member
10,472 Posts
Could we find out who this person (company) was and inquire about if he/she can make them and how much?.

·
Registered
154 Posts
one winter day back in the 80's there was an ice storm during school. they let us out early. Three of my friends and I all had honda civics (by chance or cause they were cheap not because we thought they were cool). I broke my door handle off the drivers side. Two of my friends did also. The other broke off the drivers side and the passengers side handles (he had to crawl through the trunk.) It was a race to see who could get the parts first before they got sold to the other guys.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Warantee is when something breaks, recall is when same thing breaks for 500 people ;)

·
Premium Member
9,964 Posts
Handles falling off-that's a new one!! Had a '60 Vette back in the 70's, in winter the latch would freeze open-had to keep a bungie to hold the driver's door closed when it happened!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
tugmate said:
Are you sure you didn't Tug it too hard.... :glol:

·
Registered
231 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Are you sure you didn't Tug it too hard.... :glol:
:nono: There's no way you should be able to tug a door handle 'too hard'. I agree with the people that are hoping it's not a trend.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Chief Jay said:
:nono: There's no way you should be able to tug a door handle 'too hard'. I agree with the people that are hoping it's not a trend.
I think Slip is making a little joke on your user name ;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts