Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been following news on the Solstice for 2 years, and finally saw one at the NYC Auto Show this past week. First of all, I admit I am already in serious infatuation with this car. After years of trying to like the Miata and failing; and not being able to afford the only other 2 seater I like, the S2000, I finally found the roadster of my dreams -in both looks and price. I walked up prepared to be at least a little disappointed, and I was. Not in the Solstice mind you but in the amont of people around it. I tuned out the annoying spokesman and looked for about 10 minutes from every angle. My first thought was that someone had a great initial idea that came to them whole and somehow it never got screwed up in the time it took to pass through all the corporate levels and bean- counters. It has echoes of early to mid-sixties design from the front, a more modern look from there back, lines are beautiful and strong. I can see both men and women liking this car, but no one saying it's a "chick" car.I then went to the Sky on display and my first thought was "Whoa. Maybe I should hold off on that Solstice". Sat for awhile and looked some more. Realized I was envious of the interior color combo-red and black leather- more than anything else. Why can't the Solstice have more interesting interior choices? Rush to production? Anyway, back to the Sky. What I said about the Solstice looking like someone's unadultered 1st thought design is different with the Sky. My overall impression is it looks too "worked". Where the Solstice comes off as so unified the Sky looks a little more like a collaboration. It probably went through more changes in design is what I'm trying to say. Saying that, I must admit I like it alot. It is definitely more powerful and macho looking than the Sol, but I'm staying with my 1st choice. I'm glad they are not coming out at the same time though...... Sorry to go on so long. I've been reading this forum so long and benefitting from the great info posted so I thought I'd add my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your annalysis. I fell in love the minute I saw this car (just like I did with the Harley V-Rod, which I ended up buying). My goal was to someday have a roadster, used or new, the Solstice cam along and made my decission quicker and easier.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think the Sol looks like it's own car while the Sky looks like a Sol they made lots of changes to. Maybe if the Sol hadn't come out first I would think different. Don't get me wrong, I really do think the Sky looks great and if there were no Solstice I would be buying a Sky (wow, never even thought there would be a Saturn I would like to own!). But if you look at the design, like mobboss said, the Sol jus flows.

My take is that when I look at the Sol it appears to be a fresh, unique design whereas I see other things in the Sky. First of all, look at the rear of the doors and how it meets the rear quarter panel. On the Sol it is just a smooth flow. On the Sky you can see where they changed the angle to make a different looking rear end and it looks sort of chopped. Also, the Sol is so curvy that the rounded humps on the decklid fit right in...on the Sky (being a much edgier look) they kind of seem tacked on. The sides of the Sky recall the Viper in my mind with the deep scoop with the angled edge. And the front reminds me of the Opel that was based off the Elise (Speedster?). Lastly I think the interior looks very Japanese where the Sol looks fresh and inviting.

Like I said, these are not really "knocks" on the Sky because I like the Sky a lot (enough to buy if there were no Solstice). But why would you buy the remake of something when the original is so much better? :cool: JMHO of course...I will wave and smile at the Sky buyers because in the end they will still have a cool set of wheels and are helping to turn around GM's image.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
mobboss said:
Realized I was envious of the interior color combo-red and black leather- more than anything else. Why can't the Solstice have more interesting interior choices?
I agree with you on what you have said about Solstice vs. Sky. I think the Solstice has a much better interior design, but do wish it had more and/or better interior and exterior color choices. :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have to admit I am torn between the Solstice and the Sky. I loved both designs at first sight (the Solstice coupe more than the convertible, would love to have the pair), I thought they did an exceptional job of turning the VX Lightning into the Sky. I think the Sky interior is a better looking, but the Sol is very good too. I imagine my decision will come down down to one thing, GM Card earnings, I won't get to use them on a Saturn. Yet the cool thing is this: for the price of a Corvette convertible or a Porsche Boxster, you can get both a Sky and a Solstice. It is time for a bigger garage!

·
Registered
275 Posts
mobboss said:
Realized I was envious of the interior color combo-red and black leather- more than anything else. Why can't the Solstice have more interesting interior choices?
well, small consolation: when you get the car, you are welcome to try to get some replacement black and red seats from the saturn dealership. they should still fit.

·
5,600 Posts
mobboss said:
My first thought was that someone had a great initial idea that came to them whole and somehow it never got screwed up in the time it took to pass through all the corporate levels and bean- counters.
Indeed, the Solstice was designed by one individual without the pressure of worrying about the engineering underneath or that a faceless committee was worried it didn't reflect brand identity. As you noticed, it is an integrated design and looks fabulous as a direct result.

Every curve, feature and detail is integrated into the whole with no conflicts. As a result, we get a $20,000 car that looks like a $40,000 dollar car. Of course, we also get 1.8 cubic feet of trunk room because said designer wasn't concerned with things like that.

I still maintain that Bob Lutz wisely told the engineers "hands off the styling" and to make the car work within the size and shape of the concept car. It really is a remarkable achievement, but does result in such negatives as the miniscule trunk, a top you can't raise and lower from the driver's seat, and an engine bay that appears to constrained to accept a V6 engine.

That said, I feel the Solstice looks MUCH better in real life than in pictures. Night and day better. Would you agree? I think pictures tend to compress the curves, which are very complex and sensual in 3 dimensions.

I can't speak for the Sky, but since it was adapted from the Vauxhaul Lightning concept car to the Solstice chassis, it stands to reason there was more committee-think about what of the Lightning to retain or discard. FWIW, I think the Sky is a great looking car. I just happen to prefer the curves of a classic Aston (Solstice) to the edgy modern look of Lamborghinis (Sky, often called a "baby Viper").

1 - 8 of 8 Posts