Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

321 - 340 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
What is the recommended spark plug and gap for this tune? Will the "hotter" 08 plug cause issues with the higher boost? I haven't checked to see which plug is installed in my car yet, but I expect it is the AC Delco 41-102 because whent the engine is cold, I experience a bog-down(hesitation) with the engine with about 1/2 throttle. Maybe I just need to regap the factory plugs?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
What is the recommended spark plug and gap for this tune? Will the "hotter" 08 plug cause issues with the higher boost? I haven't checked to see which plug is installed in my car yet, but I expect it is the AC Delco 41-102 because whent the engine is cold, I experience a bog-down(hesitation) with the engine with about 1/2 throttle. Maybe I just need to regap the factory plugs?
I ahve experienced the same bog when the car is cold. Once it warms a little everything is fine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just changed mine for the same issue. It was the AC Delco 41-102 from the factory. I went with the 2008 plugs which are hotter and it has solved my misfire issues. I gapped mine at .028.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I just changed mine for the same issue. It was the AC Delco 41-102 from the factory. I went with the 2008 plugs which are hotter and it has solved my misfire issues. I gapped mine at .028.
Let me know if your issue was the same as mine - until the coolant hits 135 degrees, the turbo will start to spool up, but the car bogs down. If I let off the throttle, everything "catches" all at once like I just dumped the clutch. If I really ease into the throttle, I can usually get the car to walk up the RPMs and not bog down.
I really hope you had the same issue, because I would love to be able to fix this thing with a new set of plugs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't think we have the exact same symptoms but very similar. I never really tried to ramp up my boost till the engine was warmed up to ~180+. My symptom was a big bog between shifts when WOT. The bog was caused by a misfire in one of my cylinders. If you have the AC Delco 41-102 plugs in the car, I would change them anyway and see if it helps. Most people that have changed the plugs have reported drivability improvements in one form or another.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think this will fix the cold engine problem, I'm wondering if the hot plugs will cause preignition or knock when its 90 degrees out and the engine is 200+ degrees. Maybe someone from PCMforless has tested this out and can chime in here.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I don't think we have the exact same symptoms but very similar. I never really tried to ramp up my boost till the engine was warmed up to ~180+. My symptom was a big bog between shifts when WOT. The bog was caused by a misfire in one of my cylinders. If you have the AC Delco 41-102 plugs in the car, I would change them anyway and see if it helps. Most people that have changed the plugs have reported drivability improvements in one form or another.
The problem is I don't try to ramp up the boost. Under normal light acceleration the car will act like you have a boat behind it, spin up the turbo, and if you don't completely back off the gas, it will catch like you dumped the clutch. But it only happens when the car is under about 135 degrees.
Brian from PCM mentioned other 2007's having this issue and he was going to check with some other customers who where having this issue and get back with me, but I have never heard anything back.
At this point, I am wondering if it is an problem with the car or the tune because there are no issues with the factory ECM installed. Might have to give Westers a call if I can't figure out something soon.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
My car does this as well, but it is a 2008. It isn't too big of a deal; you just let the car warm up a bit and then ease into the boost. You shouldn’t be making a lot of boost on a cold engine and turbo anyway.

It feels like the Computer is trying to heat up the cat by managing the throttle/boost. Just chill for a little bit and let the car heat up before you get on it. The only trouble code I've seen with my car was a misfire code that came up after I goosed it when I should have waited for the engine to heat up.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My car does this as well, but it is a 2008. It isn't too big of a deal; you just let the car warm up a bit and then ease into the boost. You shouldn’t be making a lot of boost on a cold engine and turbo anyway.

It feels like the Computer is trying to heat up the cat by managing the throttle/boost. Just chill for a little bit and let the car heat up before you get on it. The only trouble code I've seen with my car was a misfire code that came up after I goosed it when I should have waited for the engine to heat up.
You are right, it is not that big of a deal and it is not like I am out racing a cold engine. However, I do live on a main road and occasionally when I pull into traffic, I don't have the option to drive 10 mph until the car wants to go. Also, I generally don't like to sit in a cold car for 5 minutes after something like a movie when it is 10 degrees outside - so it also becomes an issue in those times.

The bottom line is it should not be happening - doesn't matter if it is "not that big of a problem" - for all I know it could be causing a major problem down the road. I have not heard of this issue with any other tunes - so this leads me to believe it is an issue with the tune. It is not limited to one vehicle, and it occurs in different model years using the same "upgrade". PCM really needs to look into this problem.

·
Registered
446 Posts
IMPORTANT - I want to make it perfectly clear that I am not accelerating hard enough to spool up the turbo under normal conditions. The turbo spooling up is the issue. No matter how gently you accelerate, the turbo begins to spool up, and as soon as you back off the throttle, everything catches. The car will go through 2 or 3 cycles like this, then usually move past the issue. The turbo is spooling when it should not and that is the issue.

For instance - when the car is warm, I can make my daily commute to work without ever spooling up the turbo - never building any boost. When the car is cold, I see the spool up issue on the exact same route. I am driving the same, but something somewhere in electronic controls is causing the turbo to spool up when the coolant is under about 135 degrees.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I'm sure there is some give and take for your custom tune. For example you get rid of the stock tune that was preventing full throttle upshifts but now you have an overly aggressive throttle on warm up. You dug one hole to fill another.

As far as I know PCM's tune is getting the best power gains at the wheels. Maybe they pushed the tune a bit futher and the annoying throttle/boost we're getting on start up is a product of the bigger torque gains you get with this tune?

You can always upgrade to the Stage II tune for a bit less power but better cold start manners.

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
I would agree Bryan needs to look into it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm sure there is some give and take for your custom tune. For example you get rid of the stock tune that was preventing full throttle upshifts but now you have an overly aggressive throttle on warm up. You dug one hole to fill another.

As far as I know PCM's tune is getting the best power gains at the wheels. Maybe they pushed the tune a bit futher and the annoying throttle/boost we're getting on start up is a product of the bigger torque gains you get with this tune?

You can always upgrade to the Stage II tune for a bit less power but better cold start manners.
PCM has a terrific product - I am just saying they need to look at this one issue. No one has any idea if it could be causing other problems. They have a terrific product and excellent service - and I do recommend them to everyone. But if the tune has a problem, it has a problem. I bought in when they first announced support for the solstice and there was an issue with the cruise control. I shipped my ECM back to Bryan and he fixed the problem that same weekend. I can accept problem with a product launch - if they are addressed. Now, enough cars have their tune now and it is obvious this is not an isolated issue. Time for a solution.

Again, let me say they have a terrific tune. I would not keep my Solstice without their tune installed. The fun factor is off the charts. This cold spool up issue just needs some attention.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I might also add, I know PCM charges something like $50 to reflash the ECM and I would not expect them to reflash all the ECM's for free. I would be glad to pay for their time and efforts in fixing this issue. Products develop, change and hopefully get better over time and I would be glad to pay for an improvement to an already great product.

I would also add that I did not have this issue until the weather turned cold. It is not an issue in warmer weather. I installed the tune in Sept. 2008 and it was late Oct. or Nov. before the issue was noticed.

If PCM comes back and says the problem can be fixed, but it will cut 20HP, then people can decide for themselves if they want the ponies or the problem. I just want to know what is causing the problem, if it could cause other issues down the road, and if it can be fixed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mine does the same. I have not tried a different plug yet. When I leave from my work I get onto a busy road as well, so i know what you are talking about. Just give it a small amount of gas, but run it up to 4k or so, instead of shifting around 3k, and you will accelerate fine.

Think of it like a bimmer m3, where the rpm increases as the engine gets to temp. hehe.:lol:

Definitely let us know what you find out. I haven't seen pcm for less on the site for a while, as you can see my previous post on this thread about a new tune was never responded to.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I would like to add on to this problem as well.. it bogs up around 2500 to 3000 rpm on cold start, but it does get better after engine warms up.
I would also like to see this getting fixed, and even if it's not for free, I'd understand, I'm still having a great time driving with the tune.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
We have worked with this on our own 07 GXP until it had to be put away due to the horrible winter weather here in PA. I have a fix I was working on that if anyone that has the HP tuners software and has our email tuning I can send them the file with the change. The downside is that the boost will not ramp in as fast until the car is over 3K RPM. I don't make it over to the forum on a very often basis, so shoot me an email at [email protected] if you want to try the file. If we have a few guys try it and it is popular we can start doing updates on the PCM's that have to be mailed in.
Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Runs Great Bryan!!

Just loaded the hi-performance tune that you sent me today Bryan, and it really makes a big difference, especially from 0-80..........wow!! Streets are nice and dry today, so I had the chance to test it pretty well. There is still some salt dust left on the streets, fish tailing was especially easy when given too much throttle.........can't wait till Spring! Well just thought I would let you know that I am very pleased with the way my GXP runs.

Thanks,
Ken

321 - 340 of 349 Posts