Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.2 L turbo intercooled 4 cyl

i read in motortrend that both the solstice and sky would have an intercooler turbo 2.2 liter four connected to a six speed manual which makes about 240hp in late 2006 or early 2007 sorry if anyone already posted this

·
5,600 Posts
Would you have read that in the current issue? If so, please give me a page number so I can read what it says. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
motortrend page 22 bottom left section July issue for some reason it is like a month early

·
5,600 Posts
My July issue has yet to get here. Last I have is June with the Ford GT on the cover.

I'd be curious to know the exact text, because a 240 horse 2.2 L is identical in displacement and output to the Honda S2000 motor. Being turbocharged, it should make more torque and a lower/wider HP curve than the V-tec motor.

And would make me a very happy man indeed! :willy: :lol: :cool: :grouphug:

Is it a short enough blurb to type in the exact quote from the magazine. I doubt you would be breaking any copyright laws. I'm just curious if it is a statement of fact (which could still be false, of course) or if it reads like speculation.

Anyway, thanks for the hopeful tip. But I tend to get a bit too excited when I hear rumors of a motor over 225HP, and a bit too glum when I hear rumors of a motor around 200 HP. Fformula88 has wisely advised me to keep an even keel and not put too much stock in these rumors absent a reliable source.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am still waiting on my July Motortrend too. BS, it is always a month ahead, essentially the July issue should normally arrive on or about June 1.

AS for the engine, it sounds a lot like the engine in the original concept, and subsequent concept Kappa platform cars. Those engines were 2.2L supercharged engines with 240 HP.

Also, the 2005 NAIAS produced a rumor that a Solstice GXP/Sky Redline would have a 250 HP forced induction 4 cylinder engine in the future. A couple months ago Motortrend reported the Sky would have this engine a year after its debut, placing it's appearance around winter to spring 2007.

I guess we just need to stay tuned, since a lot of this information is hersay and speculation. At least it all leads to a higher output engine! :thumbs:

·
5,600 Posts
Ff88, I'm just taking your advice and keeping on a nice even keel until I see some official word about the hi-po motor.

I'm staying all copacetic and :cool:. You won't see me :brentil: over these motor issues no more! :D Yours is the voice of reason.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This motor would be really good news for me. I have not ordered a car yet. This is something that I would definately wait for..!!!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm still hoping that a Turbo or Super on the 2.4L will give more HP then either the rumored 2.0L Super or the 2.2L Turbo.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Drex said:
If it's the article that I read today at the book store, it also says that the base model has 170 hp.
Which is incorrect, The Queen officially stated it had 177HP.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Adrenaline said:
I'm still hoping that a Turbo or Super on the 2.4L will give more HP then either the rumored 2.0L Super or the 2.2L Turbo.
On the stock 2.4? Not with that high compression ratio. Granted we don't know what the CR will be on the turbo 2.2, but a purpose-built forced induction engine will have a lower CR for sure so that it can run higher boost, or the same boost more safely. Anything an aftermarket supercharged or turbocharged 2.4 can do, a "designed for forced induction" 2.2 will be able to do better, UNLESS you somehow lower the compression ratio of the 2.4, and that will involve either swapping pistons, using a much thicker head gasket, or enlarging the combustion chambers, none of which are going to be easy (or cheap).

The difference in displacement between the 2 engines is not significant.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The article shows the picture with the three solstice mules in camo where you can see the dual exhaust on one and the intercooler on another.

Motor Trend, July 2005, pg. 22
Solstice Turbo: The intercooler and dual exhausts give away this car, set to show about summer of 2006 as a 2007 model. The 2.2-liter turbo four, connected to a six-speed manual, makes about 240 horsepower. Saturn's Sky roadster, which also hits the streets as a 2007, will get both engines as well.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
:rolleyes:

OK, so now we've got rumors from 200-253 hp, Turbo 2.0 to 2.4 l. Oh, and several forum rumors that it will be a SC.

(BTW:

200 hp from the Copper Mountain Conversations/Pictures
240 hp from Motor Trend
253 hp from GMI, no other collaborated sources)

Six speed manual? Interesting. Other than Delnari's posts, I've never seen anything remotely hinting at a 6-speed manual. <shrug>

Just a word of advice, Motortrend also had a blurb about the Kappa Sunfire a few months back... which ultimately came from GMI :rolleyes: :lol:

Take it for what it's worth. I think it's still a bit far out, and MT is speculating.

I hope we're all keeping track so when the real information comes out we can come back to these speculations and laugh. :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
solsticeman said:
I hope we're all keeping track so when the real information comes out we can come back to these speculations and laugh. :)
AMEN!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
solsticeman said:
:rolleyes:

Just a word of advice, Motortrend also had a blurb about :lol:
about a now defunct Greek platform that eludes me at the moment KappaSigmaDeltaGamma Rah Rah Rah after it was cancelled.

·
Registered
905 Posts
WaitingForBoost said:
On the stock 2.4? Not with that high compression ratio. Granted we don't know what the CR will be on the turbo 2.2, but a purpose-built forced induction engine will have a lower CR for sure so that it can run higher boost, or the same boost more safely. Anything an aftermarket supercharged or turbocharged 2.4 can do, a "designed for forced induction" 2.2 will be able to do better, UNLESS you somehow lower the compression ratio of the 2.4, and that will involve either swapping pistons, using a much thicker head gasket, or enlarging the combustion chambers, none of which are going to be easy (or cheap).

The difference in displacement between the 2 engines is not significant.
In the other threads, BradyB was saying they should hit 300HP with their rear mounted turbo , GM and ProCharger are also working on a Super.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
My real guess here is MotorTrend found the old 240HP 2.2L Supercharged engine specs and fuged it some to make it look like new news.

Adrenaline: Unfortunately until people really have these motors towork on we don't know if some of the compenets are going to be weak links in the quest for higher HP. On this stock engine something might fail way before 300HP unfortunately. In a couple months we'll start finding out though. :thumbs:

·
Registered
299 Posts
All these stats for a production HP-Solstice are nothing but rumors, and always have been. Until I here it from GM, I'm not believing any of it.

My question is...WHY TURBO? That's what i here the most of is 2.0L 2.2L Turbo engines.

If you actually stop and think, when was the last time Pontiac put a turbocharger on a production car? When was the last time Pontiac actual "DROPPED" the engine size for a higher end model of a car?... ...I can't remember, bucause if they did, it was ages ago.

The facts are that Pontiac hasn't...at least not for a long long LOOONG time ago. Pontiac has always been an "old-school" supercharger company.

When I HP version does come out, I bet my money on a 2.4 SC. Why?, because aside from all the rumors, that would be the logical choice if you look at every car Pontiac has made in the past 10 years.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts