Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

My parents are actually hoping to replace their Vibe with a Solstice when the lease is up. However, there's a bit of a problem. I know that there are already 13,000 orders and Pontiac is building only 7,000 more Sols in 2005. I also know they are stepping up to 20,000 in 2006. They told me tonight that the salesman at the dealership told them that they would be lucky to get one in 2-3 YEARS. I don't quite see how this is possible, since at this date, there are fewer orders than cars that will be built next year. I was thinking that summer 2006 would be a more feasible estimate. I've read that if you order now, you can maybe expect to get a Sol from Feb to June 2006. He also told them that Pontiac is offering NO Smart Buy or Smart Lease programs on the Solstice. Is this true?

Does this sound weird to anyone else, or am I crazy? My parents expressed interest in a G6 GTP to the same salesman, and I'm thinking that he's maybe discouraging them from buying a Solstice so he can get a bigger commission from them. I know it sounds harsh, but that's my gut feeling right now after doing some researching. Worse yet, my dad works for this dealership, so they really can't go to another place. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you have doubts about a dealer screwing you over.. go to another dealer. I think it's worth the drive, no matter how far. Dealers suck. They're disposable.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
MikeP said:
but that's my gut feeling right now after doing some researching. Worse yet, my dad works for this dealership, so they really can't go to another place. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike
I say go with the gut and have your Dad talk to the Boss. Forget the salesmen on the floor, especially when he works at the dealership.

Also read some of the messages in these forums and there are a couple of good guys that you can seek private advice from to get you on the right track. Not that they need anymore work, but they seem willing to help insure folks are not getting screwed.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Stay away from that salesman.......

Your dad can place a small deposit. He will get his Solstice in February or March 2006. The Wilmington plant will be popping out Solstices at the rate of 100 per day within the next two months, per my sources. The salesman is only trying to work a deal on what he can sell today. Also, his commission will not be much on the Solstice, just as you stated. ;) It's all about what's in stock to sell for most sales people.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
It's possible that the dealership has a waiting list that will far exceed their allotment for the next 2 years...he can’t know for sure since the dealers only know their first four month allocation. But if they have a really long list of people wanting one, he may be extrapolating the numbers. If so, find a dealer with a short queue and good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks for the quick help guys. I, too, think that he's just trying to sell what's on the lot. It was late last night when I posted, and I left out a little piece of the puzzle that backs up my guess.

He said that with a special cash back type program, Pontiac lets dealerships allot up to something like $1,500 to deals that the dealership can randomly pick. Essentially, what this means is that my parents can terminate their lease NOW (it ends in late March), and use the $1,500 to cover any early termination penalties (estimated to be ~$1,300). This program *just happens* to end today! This means that the salesman can get them into a car today and get his commission without waiting until their lease ends in March. Pretty sneaky.

Also, he mentioned that Pontiac doesn't offer Smart Buy or Smart Lease programs on the Solstice, but Pontiac happily lets you select it in the "Estimate Payments" area of their site. I could easily be wrong, though.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot to mention that the salesman said that the dealership currently has four people in line to get one, if that helps matters at all.

Again, thanks a lot for the help. I need to make some calls to dealerships. :)

Mike

·
Missing my Dad 9/40-5/08
330 Posts
We're a little ways away from you, but if you want my dealers info I can pm it to you. They even let us use our GM card earnings on our F1k. Ex-Miata Man is in your area, maybe he can get you in touch with the person who helped him.

Sounds like the salesman really needs a sale and that's why he's pushing the other direction. I would definitely go somewhere else. Good luck and let me know if you want the info.

MES

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:brentil: It looks like it might be too late. They've been in contact with the dealer this morning and got fed the same line of BS again. The salesman and dealership owner both apparently told them that they're making 13,000 in 2006 and that there are easily over 50,000 orders for them. It looks like they've got their numbers all messed up. I called the place myself and gave them the real production numbers. Even after all of this, these were their exact words "Well, we don't know when we'll get one in. It might be tomorrow or it might be 2 years. The Solstice is just a toy car anyway and isn't practical enough. Your parents would be better off with a G6. They probably want an automatic anyway, and they're making those in a few years."

I'm amazed at how ignorant these people are acting... Now I'm CERTAIN that they're just in it for the extra money. I'm still going to call other dealers even though the G6 deal is going down Monday. It's a matter of principle now...

Mike

·
5,600 Posts
Avoid this dealer like the plague. :brentil:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
No kidding. Tell them to F off and that you're taking your business to a dealer where the staff is more intelligent anyway!

·
Registered
7 Posts
VENTING!!!!!!
Well people i've had it..i've been waiting 6 months for this car! I just came back from Angola Africa after a Month in Angola Africa on a humanitarian mission( http://www.angolapress-angop.ao/noticia-e.asp?ID=375485 ) Taking malaria pills daily avoiding cobras and black mambas , 16 hour work days, going without a shower for days and i was really looking forward to returning back to Germany to pick up my car.Which I was told will be waitng for me when i get back. Then i got the news! All I could say is f#@$^% GM!!!

Jim Boden

Subject: Sosltice Orders

To all,

If you received this you have a customer who received a production slot
for a MY2006 Solstice.

I am writing you to notify you that we have been stripped of the
original
allocation of Pontiac Solstices we were given. So far the Solstice
production has not been going as well as they thought it would, and
they
have cut back siginificantly on the production numbers for MY 2006.

As you know, we are no longer selling GM's so we can only offer them a
repalcement of a Ford or Chrysler. We are not in ANY position to help
with a MY2007 Solstice.

Attached is the letter that will be mailed (today) to the customers
notiying them of what has happened. It is important for you to know
that we were not the only sales entity to be effected by this reduction
in Solstice production. Many other were knocked out as well.

You will see in the letter that we are offering the Solstice customers
who received a production slot from my drawing a $750 discount towards
the purchase of a Ford or Chrysler unit.

I am sorry for this unexpected and unforeseen problem that has come up.
But there is nothing we can do about it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Per my dealer, they had an initial allocaiton of 7 which was just bumped to 8. They were also told that was it for the 2006 model year. After the 8 are gone people will have to be willing to wait for a 2007 model.

I am 3rd in their initial allocation, so I don't see why they would be running a number on me.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Your folks want a solstice...

Just tell them to order the car with the options they want...

Set the price as MSRP and they will get it.

If this dealer they are working with won't do that...

Then just find another dealer.

I'm sure over the internet there will be dealers who are willing to take MSRP minus the 500 dollars it costs to ship the car to your folks house in a year or two...

Never listen to car salesmen who don't try and help you get the car you want.

JMO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JBsZ06 said:
If this dealer they are working with won't do that...

Then just find another dealer.
That's the whole problem... They desperately want to go to another dealership (we have at least 3 in a ~50 mile radius), but their hands are tied since my dad works at this place. I believe that their "official" position is that the dealership "allows" other people to buy cars at other dealerships, but it is very "frowned upon". Let's just say that my dad's heard a lot of stories about an employee or two buying cars at other dealerships, and it never turns out too well. I don't know what exactly the dealership does, or if that's even a legal practice or not. They do realize that something needs to change before the lease on their next car ends. Thanks anyways... :(

Mike

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is such a strange situation. In the past GM always ran off about 5000
vehicles when they premiered a new car and sent them to the dealerships
and never took preorders or anything like that. The idea was that to sell a car, you had to have one available for test drives, etc. and something on the lot that at least came close to what the buyer wanted in terms of options.
You never wanted to have to order a car from the factory. If necessary, the dealer would call around other dealers and try to find an acceptable car.
GM made the mistake here of allowing the public to learn about the car years in advance and then styling it too attractively for their own good.
Victims of their own success...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I think this whole thing is just too much for GM and dealers to handle. When you have misinformed dealers doing everything they can think of to make the biggest profit on such a limited, niche car and GM holding production back, customers aren't going to just happily decide on another GM product. They're going to jump ship to another dealer or even manufacturer who isn't going to give them such a hard time. I realize the benefits of keeping production low for the first couple years to keep people wanting the car, but I think this might be a little too low.

Mike

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
kingarthur said:
This is such a strange situation. In the past GM always ran off about 5000
vehicles when they premiered a new car and sent them to the dealerships
and never took preorders or anything like that. The idea was that to sell a car, you had to have one available for test drives, etc. and something on the lot that at least came close to what the buyer wanted in terms of options.
You never wanted to have to order a car from the factory. If necessary, the dealer would call around other dealers and try to find an acceptable car.
GM made the mistake here of allowing the public to learn about the car years in advance and then styling it too attractively for their own good.
Victims of their own success...
I could be wrong (don't think I am though), but all cars are ordered cars. They are either ordered to dealers specs or specifically for a customer. I don't think GM just "sends out" cars to the dealers. I believe (if I have been paying attention in Small Dealers online classses :D ) that the dealers receive allocations for all the cars they order, just like the Solstice, and they place their orders at the time they receive the allocation.
So when all is said and done, what makes the Solstice unusual is that there were so many customer preorders, and that because of this forum many of these customers know more about the process than they ever did before.
If i'm wrong, I'm sure Professor Small Dealer will correct me. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts