Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attempted to find a thread about aftermarket engine mods short of forced induction that can increase the 2.4VVT output. I was unsuccessful.
Do any of you know:

What mods can be done?
What gain they may achieve?
What they may cost?

If this has been discussed and I failed to find it at least you all have an oportunity to use the :brentil:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Relax, but if you really want it, here it is:

:brentil:

OK that wasn't fair... but it was fun anyways...

There isn't a mod section or info on the www regarding mods for the 2.4L VVT Ecotec because it is not out yet. Nobody's seen it in a vehicle yet, and if I'm not mistaken, I think the Solstice is either the first or one of the first production cars to get this version of the engine.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If you go to the GM Perfomrance Parts page you can find several N/A only style parts that GM officially makes for the current ECOTEC line I believe. They even have the ECOTEC 1000 HP build book there too.

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/perfpartsjsp/partlist.jsp?cat=9284&section=pp

A really good idea would be to go to the ION/Cobalt/Cavalier/Sunfire sites and see what they've done with the current 2.2L ECOTEC. The major thing though that's going to get in the way of making parts for this car compared to the older ones is the VVT.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
There isn't a mod section or info on the www regarding mods for the 2.4L VVT Ecotec because it is not out yet. Nobody's seen it in a vehicle yet, and if I'm not mistaken, I think the Solstice is either the first or one of the first production cars to get this version of the engine.
No specific parts yet because there are no engines yet. The 2.4L VVT will debut this year in the Solstice, Cobalt and Ion, and I believe the Malibu and G6 as well. However, the engine has not found its way into any of them yet.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
A quick look found a supercharger kit coming for cobalt but not yet available $2800. Also crate 2.0 with S/C and 205 hp about $4400. Conceivably an aftermarket S/C will be radily availble by next winter when we in the north will have our cars up on blocks for upgrades. I would expect a program chip and cold air intake to show up soon as well.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
No specific parts yet because there are no engines yet. The 2.4L VVT will debut this year in the Solstice, Cobalt and Ion, and I believe the Malibu and G6 as well. However, the engine has not found its way into any of them yet.
Don't forget the HHR as well. Also I'm betting SAAB and Opel/Vauxhall will get it eventually too.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Man that HHR is WWAAAAAYY to big for a 2.4 I4 :brentil: What on Earth is GM thinking :devil: I would not buy a KAPPA for the 2.4 (it's a High Value 3.6 V6 from a Caddy CTS with a 6speed conversion in the future for me) and the KAPPA is a small car. Man the HHR will be one of the SUV's that Hyundai might accualy outperform :rolleyes: And it is BUUUT UGLY to Boot. Can we say thank you GM for another AZTECK :devil:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Rickady88GT said:
Man that HHR is WWAAAAAYY to big for a 2.4 I4 :brentil: What on Earth is GM thinking :devil: I would not buy a KAPPA for the 2.4 (it's a High Value 3.6 V6 from a Caddy CTS with a 6speed conversion in the future for me) and the KAPPA is a small car. Man the HHR will be one of the SUV's that Hyundai might accualy outperform :rolleyes: And it is BUUUT UGLY to Boot. Can we say thank you GM for another AZTECK :devil:
Don't forget, the 2.4L VVT ECOTEC is the upgraded engine too. It's supposed to have the normal 2.2L ECOTEC as the base engine. So the majority of the HHR's sold will have even less power. They're trying to compete with the PT Cruiser and it's i-4 engine.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
brentil said:
Don't forget, the 2.4L VVT ECOTEC is the upgraded engine too. It's supposed to have the normal 2.2L ECOTEC as the base engine. So the majority of the HHR's sold will have even less power. They're trying to compete with the PT Cruiser and it's i-4 engine.
Sort of like 914 and 914-6.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I took some numbers off mceb's roadster comparison chart and found something interesting...

Car.............HP/L....TQ/L....Displacement
Solstice........73.8....69.2....2.4
Miata...........78.9....69.4....1.8
MR2-Spyder..76.7....69.4....1.8
BMW Z4.......73.6....70.0....2.5

While I'm not one to quote HP/L when comparing cars, I will say it can be useful when comparing the relative states of tune of multiple engines. I'm thinking that if you want to get an idea of aftermarket mods and their potential gains for the Sky/Soltice, you could do worse than look at Miata/MR2 bolt-ons and assume similar gains. Be sure to scale by displacement, though. An exhaust/header that nets 6 HP for a miata might yield 8 for the solstice, because of the 33% displacement advantage. Oh, and use dyno-proven gains, not advertised gains.

As for cost, again, Miata/MR2 comparisons might be informative. The aftermarket for the Miata is positively huge, and competitive, so we might pay a bit more than they do for similar parts. At least at first.

-Stephen M

·
Registered
21 Posts
Intake, headers, "extra high-flow cat", no muffler, lightened crank pulley, no balance shafts, and you might get 165 at the wheels.

I wonder how steep the opening and closing ramps are on the cams ( and just how steep they could be ground ), given roller followers.

I want to run a straight pipe off this motor, and see how far I can retard the exhaust cam. Maximum expansion stroke and overlap will do good things for thermal and volumetric efficiencies, I think.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I didn't realize that the Ecotec had balance shafts. Are those similar to the ones in the Sentra, Focus, and Mazda3 engines? If so, they hafta go. How can you have a back to basics roadster and be worried about some minor NVH?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
chenslee said:
I didn't realize that the Ecotec had balance shafts. Are those similar to the ones in the Sentra, Focus, and Mazda3 engines? If so, they hafta go. How can you have a back to basics roadster and be worried about some minor NVH?
Well, you gotta remember that this is also a $20,000 roadster. They werent' going to develop an ENTIRELY new engine for it. I'm just glad it gets VVT (also not "back to basics", but who's going to complain?) The basic ecotec engine architecture has balance shafts. Ergo, the ecotec that goes in this car will have the balance shafts.

Besides, if it didn't have them, it would be relentlessly bashed for having a "typical unrefined GM engine."

·
Registered
391 Posts
I realy like the PT and I like that GM is tring to make better looking cars, but just tring to make a GM version of the PT is WAY WRONG. You cant copy the PT with GM parts :rolleyes: If GM has people that have talent to make great looking cars, then let them. I HATE the idea of a " GM copicat PT".

Sorry I will stop now :rant:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Rickady88GT said:
I realy like the PT and I like that GM is tring to make better looking cars, but just tring to make a GM version of the PT is WAY WRONG. You cant copy the PT with GM parts :rolleyes: If GM has people that have talent to make great looking cars, then let them. I HATE the idea of a " GM copicat PT".

Sorry I will stop now :rant:
Not sure if you know or not, but the HHR designer IS the guy that designed the PT Cruiser for Chrysler. Now all they need is the Turbo version and drop top version and they can complete the Chrysler lineup. :D

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
Not sure if you know or not, but the HHR designer IS the guy that designed the PT Cruiser for Chrysler. Now all they need is the Turbo version and drop top version and they can complete the Chrysler lineup. :D
LOL, I think that is great too! :lol: First GM steals the Chrysler designer, and then he steals his own design for GM! :glol:

GM should steal the designer of the Chrysler 300 and Magnum next, and have them get to work on the Malibu and Malibu Maxx! :lol:

As for the Ecotecs in the HHR, well, I guess its supposed to be a compact wagonette like the PT Cruiser, and its not necessarily aimed at big performance enthusiasts, so they can get away with the I-4's. The Cruiser uses Neon engines, but also offers a turbo version. Maybe the HHR will see an F/I ecotec down the road too.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
LOL, I think that is great too! :lol: First GM steals the Chrysler designer, and then he steals his own design for GM! :glol:

GM should steal the designer of the Chrysler 300 and Magnum next, and have them get to work on the Malibu and Malibu Maxx! :lol:

As for the Ecotecs in the HHR, well, I guess its supposed to be a compact wagonette like the PT Cruiser, and its not necessarily aimed at big performance enthusiasts, so they can get away with the I-4's. The Cruiser uses Neon engines, but also offers a turbo version. Maybe the HHR will see an F/I ecotec down the road too.
Since the HHR is getting the same 2.4L VVT ECOTEC as the Solstice/Sky I'm betting the HHR will end up with whatever higher powered model will be made for the Sky/Solstice, and that powertrain might end up in the Cobalt SS/ION RL as a future upgrade too.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
That is certainly a logical conclusion. Especially with the PT Turbo running around. I’d love to see them drop it into a Delta car too! The biggest complaint with the current 2.0L is that it cannot match the Dodge SRT-4 motor. An F/I version of the 2.4L VVT would end that complaint! :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ya I know were the HHR came from. That is what makes it so wrong.
He has talant, but it just did not show in the HHR.
Strt over and dont make the car look like a copicat, it just makes GM look desparate and cheap?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Rickady88GT said:
Ya I know were the HHR came from. That is what makes it so wrong.
He has talant, but it just did not show in the HHR.
Strt over and dont make the car look like a copicat, it just makes GM look desparate and cheap?
At this point, GM is getting desperate and cheap! :glol:

Successful auto design is copied all the time. In 3 more years, have the automakers will have Chrysler 300 look-a-likes too! Is it right or not? I dunno. Fresh design is always better, but not as easy to come up with. At least successfully fresh. Aztek was fresh. I don’t have to say what else it was! ;) (Sorry AztekzRpurty)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts