Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac Solstice 2.4L - Manual
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last weekend I started to get what can be described at a metallic, rattling, rhythmic sound coming from the engine upon cold start. This started the day after I did some maintenance. Changed the oil using 5W-30, Mobile 1 High Mileage with a Mobile Extended Performance - M1C-151A filter. Changed out the spark plugs for the heck of it, put fresh 41-103's in it. Being as that is recommended on here, as well as it ran fine before with the old 41-103's. Although I will say one or two of the plugs looked to of had the gap closed a bit more than the factory-set pre-gapped 0.043. I still have the old plugs, if anyone would like to see a picture of their condition. Perhaps I'm having a spark issue with these new plugs??? . Lastly, I put in a new Delphi brand (not a fan of their parts) Intake VVT Solenoid, I was getting a P0171 code, that remedied that issue.

Anyway, back to the noise. This only happens when the engine is cold, or has sat several hours. It goes away once the engine is at operating temp. It doesn't sound like it's coming from the timing chain area. I know the EcoTec's are prone to timing chain failure issues. That is on my to-do list anyway, especially since this engine is over 91K now; GM recommends replacing before 100K

Oh and before someone asks if I run the proper fuel, I run 93 Octane, as there is no 91 here.

Here's two vids taken at work of the noise. Caught the sound pretty well, so hopefully you guys can shine some light into what could be happening

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
any codes pop up? Usually chain or sprocket noises don't go away after engine warms up. Lifter and rocker arm noises do. Did you use the same oil and filter brand you always use? I notice the plastic engine cover is off. Was it off before the oil and filter change. That would make the valvetrain noises more apparent.

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac Solstice 2.4L - Manual
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No codes have popped up since the noise began. This is the first oil change I've done on it under my ownership. I don't know what brand filter or oil was used by the previous owners. Yes, the engine cover has been off for several months, everything was sounding normal and healthy until this point.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have always heard a rattling sound like this upon start up, and the first few seconds of driving. I thought it was just oil not fully circulated to these areas. Is this normal or is it of concern?

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
I agree with paul. It sounds pretty normal to me for a cold startup and not something I would be overly concerned about. Just a guess but it could be the result of a different oil and filter. It may go away on its own. If there are no codes and it isn't misfiring, I would just watch it for a few days and see what develops. Maybe, in the meantime, someone with some other ideas will jump in.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
How many times have you started the engine after the oil change and how long was it running each time?

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Weather is supposed to clear up here this weekend so I'll have my 2.4 out. I'll try to remember to raise the hood and listen at start up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts