Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 5000 km , I found that putting it into 2 nd gear has gotten really notchy. I am an experienced manual transmission guy , and it was smooth up to now. I had a friend of mine who has always driven standard and she says the same thing. All the other gears are really smooth

What gives ?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I've noticed some notchyness at times. I'll try to pay more attention to see if I can corolate it to anyhitng in particular.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've been trying to figure out if was just me or my car and holding out posting till I be sure it wasn't me. My second gear will go from being smooth to almost impossible to up shift in or out of on rare occasions. Usually will happen once or twice a day. Usually will leave the clutch out in neutral for a second or two and it will go right in with out a problem.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
GreatWhiteNorth said:
I find when it is cold, very hard to downshift into second gear. If you double clutch it seems to go in easier.
Exactly. Might be kinda related to the clunk, which is also before it heats up too.

Do you all have the LSD option?

·
Registered
496 Posts
shifting

brentil said:
Exactly. Might be kinda related to the clunk, which is also before it heats up too.

Do you all have the LSD option?
I do have the LSD option and I agree it might be related to the clunk because sometimes I can get the clunk just shifting from first to second with the car stationary. It almost feels like the clutch had not totally disengaged the tranny from the motor and I find my self thinking "did I have my clutch all the way to the floor"

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually Drex gave a better description than I did. More accurate

It only happens on upshift and never on downship

I tried upshifting at different rpm's and it doesn't seem to matter.

This morning for example , it was buttery smooth

Yes , I have the LSD

Greatwhitenorth - like you said ,it feels like the clutch is not dis-engaging

Ross

·
Registered
753 Posts
Drex said:
I've been trying to figure out if was just me or my car and holding out posting till I be sure it wasn't me. My second gear will go from being smooth to almost impossible to up shift in or out of on rare occasions. Usually will happen once or twice a day. Usually will leave the clutch out in neutral for a second or two and it will go right in with out a problem.
does double clutching between 1st and second help?
the shift can be 'notchy' , particularily at low speeds, but a double clutch is always smooth for me. you may have a situation that is abnormal and should be serviced.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I thought it was only me!!! I am NOT an exerienced stick driver, so I wasn't sure if it was normal. Just an hour ago I got off the phone with my dealer and I told him I was going to bring it in to be checked out next week.

Glad to hear this isn't just my car. All the other shifts are smooth, but 2nd is a nightmare. My car doesn't clunk.. that I know of. If it does then it's a minor clunk.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
GreatWhiteNorth said: "If you double clutch it seems to go in easier."

Don't say it, gizmo, DON'T SAY IT! :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
cdb said:
does double clutching between 1st and second help?
the shift can be 'notchy' , particularily at low speeds, but a double clutch is always smooth for me. you may have a situation that is abnormal and should be serviced.
Double clutching will clear up the problem. I looked over a couple Colorado/Canyon boards and they don't seem to be having any issues with their 5 speeds.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Drex said:
Double clutching will clear up the problem. I looked over a couple Colorado/Canyon boards and they don't seem to be having any issues with their 5 speeds.
Makes me think the LSD/differential might have something to do with this then. It might be the same issue, since both happen in low gears at low temps.

·
Registered
496 Posts
downshift to second

To be clear this is what I experience:
When it is cold and I am in third gear and coming to a stop sign
I put in the clutch to take it out of third and downshift into second;
it does not want to go into second very well but if I let the clutch out
and put it back in, it easily drops into second.
I don't know much about the mechanism but I know there is a pressure plate, throw out bearing and synchros. Could any of these be suspect or are there other components invovled?
I have heard the clunk just idling and taking it out of second gear and it almost feels like the tranny is not disengaging and I am forcing it apart.
A lot of us acknowledge that the clunk goes away if you get the RPM's up before shifting, is this not almost like power shifting without a clutch at the right RPM's. Could the clunk be related to the clutch not doing a good job in separating the engine for the tranny shift?

I know a guy with a 1990 Miata who had a lot of problems with his second gear but they disappeared when he went to synthetic tranny oil.
Could this be a solution once we get some miles on the cars.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I must admit I felt the same thing today while driving Tood_Raleigh's car today. I had to back off the shift into 2nd for fear of grinding the synchro.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I checked the owners manual and synthetic tranny and diff fluid

is already specified.But does that mean that's whats in there now ?

Ross

·
Registered
854 Posts
lightning rod said:
After about 5000 km , I found that putting it into 2 nd gear has gotten really notchy. I am an experienced manual transmission guy , and it was smooth up to now. I had a friend of mine who has always driven standard and she says the same thing. All the other gears are really smooth

What gives ?
Put in some high quality tranny fluid like Redline synthetic, should help the synchos engage smoother.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts