Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not real mainstream news so take this with a grain of salt....GMInsideNews has a thread that there will be no Solstice coupe but instead a 2nd Pontiac kappa car to replace the Sunfire. I'm assuming it's a 2+2?

Funny I guess we have had rumors of every GM division with a Kappa car now we are going around for a 2nd lap :devil

Other interesting tidbits on Solstice production are "confirmation" of base under 20k, fully loaded under 25k (hope that means higher HP), pricing spring of 2005 and in dealers summer 2005 :thumbs

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6635&st=0

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
LOL, our weekly Kappa rumor! :yesnod Like all the other Kappa rumors, I will take it with a grain of salt. However, it may still be a good idea, and maybe they are considering it. I am not sure you could turn it into a true 4 door. That would be a big stretch of the platform. But a 2+2 coupe using suicide doors. I hate to mention the Ion as an example, but rather the Mazda RX-8. A 4 door, 4 seat sports car with RWD, great handling dynamics, etc would be awesome, especially at lower Solstice prices. Not sure that is a true Sunfire replacement anymore, but thats ok with me.

The Kappa architecture would be a great platform for a 4 door with no B pillars, because it is already a strong structure to support the roadster. Maybe the idea of a suicide door 2+2 would be better left to another division who may want to compete with the RX-8's and Infiniti G35 coupes of the world too.

·
Registered
281 Posts
ok guys, i got one!

from my source in MI6:

..."the Saturn version of the Pontiac Solstice is to be named the Saturn Kap keeping with the trend of 3-letter and sometimes misspalled words!"

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Doesn't fit with the rest of Saturn's naming strategy (IF they even have one). They are not too creative, I've been calling it the Saturn R, or CR. I'm partial to CR, because the Saturn marketing people could say it stands for "convertible roadster", like the old SC (Sport Coupe) SL (???) and LS (???? :crazy :confused ), and they wouldn't even know it's really duplication (if you buy into the current assumption that all roadsters are convertibles - maybe a discussion for another thread).

Although, maybe there's a shift in Saturn's thinking. They did come up with ION. Then VUE. so maybe KAP works...

Just think if the other GM nameplates had the dealership power/reputation of Saturn - GM would be unstoppable (no offense GTOJ). IMHO, that's the only reason Saturn has done as well as it has with the limited stable of vehicles they have/had to offer. It certainly isn't the marketing (some really meaningless, strange commercials - what's up with the clowns?), nor the engineering, nor necessarily the interior/exterior styling.

On the main subject of this thread:
Got an indication that the 2 pontiac kappas is just made up bullcrap, or misinformation to keep the buzz at some level - leaked to one of the forums from "unofficial" channels. *GOSSIP ALERT* this information is not official nor confirmed, just speculation from one of my inside sources...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The Saturn KAP... uh oh, it rhymes with crap! :leaving Nah, Saturn won't use that one. Would they ressurect the name Sky off of their former showcar, even if it has no physical resemblance? It would at least fit their three letter naming strategy.

solsticeman said:
Just think if the other GM nameplates had the dealership power/reputation of Saturn - GM would be unstoppable (no offense GTOJ). IMHO, that's the only reason Saturn has done as well as it has with the limited stable of vehicles they have/had to offer. It certainly isn't the marketing (some really meaningless, strange commercials - what's up with the clowns?), nor the engineering, nor necessarily the interior/exterior styling.
It would be extremely hard to teach new dealers old tricks. Saturn went with new brick and mortar franchises for its dealer network, purposely limiting them to prevent inter-dealer competition and forcing them to use the no-haggle price strategy and offer exceptional customer service. It wuold be nice to see improvements in their traditional dealer network, but its difficult to do. There are a lot more of them, and they are engrained in doing what they have been for ever. Plus, GM's control over their customer service practices is rather limited, making improvements in customer service an inexact science. They can offer carrots to the dealers to try and persuade them to improve, but they cannot really force them. If they are really bad, they can threaten to revoke the franchise, but they don't do this often, making it a hollow threat in all but the worst cases.

But I agree, a major improvement in their dealer network could make a big difference in sales. People are more likely to go to and return to a place they enjoy doing business with over a place they resent doing business with.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Fformula88 said:
...Would they ressurect the name Sky off of their former showcar, even if it has no physical resemblance? It would at least fit their three letter naming strategy.

God, I hope not. What a mistake. The name Sky (probably spelled as a shouting "SKY" in all caps) does NOT fit with the styling of either the curve or VX lightning.

If they are dumb enough to name a new hot-looking, masculine 2-seat roadster after a has-been, crappily (is that a word?) femine-styled FOUR seat convertible...

Well, that would be Saturn marketing for you...

None of these names fit the styling, either:
http://www.saturnfans.com/Cars/Future/newsaturnnames.shtml

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
But I agree, a major improvement in their dealer network could make a big difference in sales. People are more likely to go to and return to a place they enjoy doing business with over a place they resent doing business with.
I agree, sort of. Which car people buy is determined by a lot of things. To me the number one reason people buy Saturns is the way the dealer makes them feel because the cars aren't especially noteworthy and the price or value isn't remarkable. On the other side of the coin is Honda. By all counts (surveys, anecdote, etc) their dealers are the worst, at both point of sale and afterwards. Yet there's a lot of them on the road 'cuz the cars are better than the dealers. But I guess this is more a topic for a different thread.

Possible Saturn Roadster names:
SUN, fits in with with VUE although they'd probably spell it SON. Fits in the astronomical theme (as in, All sales revolve around the SUN)
SR1, (sport roadster or speed racer) oops, all ready used that one.
FUN, great three letter name for a sports car.
Go with the "artist, formerly known as" theme and use the Greek letter kappa
But EVOKE looks too much like a name of something hairy in Star Wars!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
God, I hope not. What a mistake. The name Sky (probably spelled as a shouting "SKY" in all caps) does NOT fit with the styling of either the curve or VX lightning.

If they are dumb enough to name a new hot-looking, masculine 2-seat roadster after a has-been, crappily (is that a word?) femine-styled FOUR seat convertible...

Well, that would be Saturn marketing for you...

None of these names fit the styling, either:
http://www.saturnfans.com/Cars/Future/newsaturnnames.shtml
I hope they don't either, but its that great Saturn marketing that has me concerned. Everything they do seems goofy lately.

·
Registered
281 Posts
uh guys, i cant really tell from your responses if you realize it, but i was just kidding. i dont know anyone in British Intelligence and i know how to spell misspelled. :thumbs

Doesn't fit with the rest of Saturn's naming strategy
fits perfectly IMO. they seem to be moving away from alpha-numeric designations and towards 3-letter names. actually heh, none of the saturns currently in production use anything but 3-letter names.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Got it, Bizz. Just thought that misspelling "misspelled" was kinda low hanging fruit, and considered pointing it out but decided not worth an honorable mention...

However, you do have a good point in that all current Saturns seem to be named 3-letter designations, capatalized at that. But that's only the ION and VUE.

Upcoming Relay departs from that, as do the upcoming Saturn naming schemes.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The only apparent strategy at Saturn is to dump that strategy out the window every other year and use a new, completly different strategy! The only constant at Saturn has been plastic panels which they will move away from too, and having a good buying experience which they have kept so far.

Their naming strategy was fine in the beginning. SW1/2, SC1/2, SL1/2. Then with the L series, they kept the first letter designation for the model, but switched to a hundreds number. L100, L200, L300 to designate trim instead of 1, 2, 3. Then they introduced the Vue which abandoned the letter disignations for a real name. They stuck with it for the Ion, but now will use a full name for their minivan. Relay. :crazy Do something and stick with it Saturn!! :lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
i doubt that they will use a 2+2 version of the kappa, they will probobly use the same platform the ion and cobalt will be on (delta?) for the replacement for the sunfire, and im sure we will see a supercharged version as well using the 2.0

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Vita said:
i doubt that they will use a 2+2 version of the kappa, they will probobly use the same platform the ion and cobalt will be on (delta?) for the replacement for the sunfire, and im sure we will see a supercharged version as well using the 2.0
Just an FYI, there is already a Pontiac version of the Delta platform, the Pontiac Pursuit. However, GM will not be selling it in the US. Its a Canadian market only car. I suppose they could sell it here, but if they were going to do that I see no reason why they wouldn't launch it right away.

Maybe Pontiac is just going to abandon the 2 door small coupe market, and let Chevy and Saturn fight for those buyers. They do have the Vibe which has replaced the 4 door Sunfire very nicely.

Not sure the Vibe, or the Pursuit not being offered in the US would mean that there is any chance on a 2+2 kappa car in Pontiac's future. I just wanted to toss out the info.

Here is a link to a thread on gminsidernews with a bunch of pics of the Pursuit. There is supposed to be a 2 door too in 2006, with the 4 door out in 05 (again, in Canada only. at least for now).
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3882

·
Registered
281 Posts
misspelling words in an ironic way is kind of a running joke in my car club. "im a genious!" :)

Bizz said:
uh guys, i cant really tell from your responses if you realize it, but i was just kidding. i dont know anyone in British Intelligence and i know how to spell misspelled. :thumbs

fits perfectly IMO. they seem to be moving away from alpha-numeric designations and towards 3-letter names. actually heh, none of the saturns currently in production use anything but 3-letter names.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts