Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

With the MX-5, trunk space/top operation/top up trunk access, which are you?


  • Total voters
    45
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we've gotten some news on a competitor, time for a repeat of this poll!

Knowing what we know now (02/22/2005) about the mazda MX-5, and trunk space, top up trunk access, overall top operation, and anything else new, where does the roadster sit on your list.

This poll could show Pontiac that either, interest is not dropping off, or many are becoming dissapointed with what they see to date. Please vote even if you are not a regular poster on the forum!
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
Rodeo,

Nothing has changed for me. I still have to test drive the Solstice, the Sky and the new Miata before I make a final decision. The Miata looks less likely now, due to bland/weird looks.

My option isn't really in your poll. There is nothing between, "die hard" and "top 5". I am in the "99% certain but need to drive before I buy" category.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jimbo said:
Rodeo,

Nothing has changed for me. I still have to test drive the Solstice, the Sky and the new Miata before I make a final decision. The Miata looks less likely now, due to bland/weird looks.

My option isn't really in your poll. There is nothing between, "die hard" and "top 5". I am in the "99% certain but need to drive before I buy" category.
yea, polls are tough to design for every possible option. I think you did right by choosing option 2 as Pontiac shoudl know the competition is chomping at their heals!

WE did this poll over a month ago, and I thought with the MX-5 it would be interesting to run again.

I think another time to run it will be when the top and trunk info is available, then again when the Sol hits the mags/dealers.

Then we can compare the various polls to see how the different info at different times affected the Sol popularity.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fformula88 said:
Die hard. :cool:
Thought so, but let's see what you think when they hand you the equiped rain jacket, and tell you about the optional $5K vinyl top :lol:
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
RODEO said:
Thought so, but let's see what you think when they hand you the equiped rain jacket, and tell you about the optional $5K vinyl top :lol:
:glol: I drive a Jeep Wrangler right now as a daily driver. I am confident I will be able to handle whatever GM shows up with for a top! It has to be easier and more user friendly than my TJ's collection of latches, zippers, velcro, snaps, and plastic windows! :lol:

My attraction to the Solstice is the following: Its a stylish Pontiac two seat roadster. I don't really care if car X is a smidge faster (or a lot), car Y has an easier top to use, or car Z has a half cubic foot more trunk space. I've always really liked Miatas and have consdiered buying one, but my interest in the Sol goes well beyond my Miata interest. All that puts me in the minority of buyers too, and I realize many of the items I will overlook other people may not. Doesn't change my die hard stance any! :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
With GM being less than forthcoming with top details, I'm afraid it's slipped to my top 5 which are the following:

1. Hyundai Accent
2. Chevy Aveo
3. Suzuki Reno
4. Pontiac Solstice
5. Dodge Caravan.

..And if the Solstice ends up not having seats that fold flush with the floor, it's getting pushed to 5. And I mean it. :brentil:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chenslee said:
With GM being less than forthcoming with top details, I'm afraid it's slipped to my top 5 which are the following:

1. Hyundai Accent
2. Chevy Aveo
3. Suzuki Reno
4. Pontiac Solstice
5. Dodge Caravan.

..And if the Solstice ends up not having seats that fold flush with the floor, it's getting pushed to 5. And I mean it. :brentil:
chenslee, you voted wrong it looks like, you picked option A in the poll, oh well, we'll have to start over :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
I'm with Fformula88. :cool:

Though the NC does look a little more appealing than I expected, but not quite good enough to pull me away.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I voted the same as last time.

the top & trunk issue still hits hard, I'm hoping there will resoltions in the first gen, or thereafter. A s/c would be nice. The ride of the Sol will be a significant factor. The NC made no difference to me, I like the MSM better.

Of course when I drve one, it'll probably go home with me :lol:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
Fformula88 said:
My attraction to the Solstice is the following: Its a stylish Pontiac two seat roadster. I don't really care if car X is a smidge faster (or a lot), car Y has an easier top to use, or car Z has a half cubic foot more trunk space. I've always really liked Miatas and have consdiered buying one, but my interest in the Sol goes well beyond my Miata interest. All that puts me in the minority of buyers too, and I realize many of the items I will overlook other people may not. Doesn't change my die hard stance any! :cool:
:agree:
Could not have said it better.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Agree new MX-5 is better than expected and will steal sales especially for daily drivers. Mine is 2nd car so the few issues with Solstice are ok with me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
mceb said:
Agree new MX-5 is better than expected and will steal sales especially for daily drivers. <snip>
I'm bummed. As nice as the Solstice is to look at, I need just a tad more practicality than it looks like it can provide... Not much. Just a little. Really, was a trunk too much to ask? Maybe with the storage 'pod' I hear about I can get around this (for me) deal breaker. This reminds me of the '68 Vette I had. To get away for the weekend the top had to be up so the 'stuff' would fit. I really want the top to be down if the weather is nice. Especially for a weekend getaway. Sigh.

Cheese with this whine? Nah, it's cheesy enough... :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
QUOTE=Fformula88]:glol: I drive a Jeep Wrangler right now as a daily driver. I am confident I will be able to handle whatever GM shows up with for a top! It has to be easier and more user friendly than my TJ's collection of latches, zippers, velcro, snaps, and plastic windows! :lol: [/QUOTE]

:agree:

There is nothing more difficult to wrestle than a wrangler top. That is why mine goes from mid May to mid October with only a bikini top (the car, not me). :lol:
There is not an inconvenience Pontiac can throw at me that I can't brush off with an "it's better than what I have now" and "it is still an absolutely beautiful car!" :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
RODEO said:
chenslee, you voted wrong it looks like, you picked option A in the poll, oh well, we'll have to start over :lol:
Well. You forgot option "T" for "I'm just here to taunt you guys, because while you all are freakin out waiting for top and trunk info on a car that won't even be out for another 5 months, I'm practicing smokey lurid powerslides in my MSM."

I voted correctly. I consider myself 90% die hard. This will (hopefully) be my second car (if you can call a Hundai Accent a car) so top and trunk issues don't bother me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
I was an "E" a month ago, and I'm still an "E". I don't imagine myself in an NC Miata regardless, so that didn't change anything. I'm holding out hope for the Sky and a year one or year two refresh that fixes the storage/top issue. Since I was going to wait for the FI version anyway, this is not such a bad fate.

And I'm still here for Rodeo's AVATARS, but his posts are OK too, I suppose. :)

-Stephen M
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Skidpad said:
There is nothing more difficult to wrestle than a wrangler top. That is why mine goes from mid May to mid October with only a bikini top (the car, not me). :lol:
I solve the problem by leaving the top down on my Jeep 24/7 in the summer, and if the weather is ugly I leave it in the garage and drive my Fiero. Its just as easy as wrestling with that top all the time! :lol:
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
chenslee said:
With GM being less than forthcoming with top details, I'm afraid it's slipped to my top 5 which are the following:

1. Hyundai Accent
2. Chevy Aveo
3. Suzuki Reno
4. Pontiac Solstice
5. Dodge Caravan.

..And if the Solstice ends up not having seats that fold flush with the floor, it's getting pushed to 5. And I mean it. :brentil:
This list reminds me of a Sesame Street Song...

""One of these cars doesn't belong with the others"" ""One of these cars isn't the same"" :lol:

That is some top 5 contenders list! Certainly not a grouping I'd expect to see together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Gottahavvit. The Solstice, I mean. What's a Miata? :lol:

I've been looking around, in case I can't get a loan for 20k...
My 2nd preference would be a Tiburon Gt.
3rd: Sunfire
4th: PT Cruiser

If I can't get one of those, I'll just keep repairing my 88 Fiero everytime something wears out. But I really want a car with a warranty.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top