Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DETROIT -- For years, it was a bigger-than-life Barry Sanders. Then Steve Yzerman. Now it's General Motors Corp.'s turn.

The automaker's Pontiac brand is planning a giant mural on Cadillac Tower, overlooking Campus Martius Park, which will celebrate the city's automotive heritage as well as promote the division's upcoming new models.

The painted mural is scheduled to be ready for Major League Baseball's All-Star Game on July 12 at Comerica Park, said Jim Hopson, Pontiac's communication manager.

"The mural will celebrate Detroit as the Motor City, as well as the hot new products coming out of Detroit," Hopson said.

Two likely images for the 100-by-200-foot mural are the Solstice convertible and the Torrent, an entry-level sport utility vehicle. that's due shortly. Cadillac Tower was previously adorned with an image of Detroit Red Wings star Steve Yzerman.

"The mural will be in keeping with the creative, free thinking ads we've been showing lately, and it will not be a traditional automotive ad," Hopson added. The mural will change over time.

Cadillac Tower is one of two downtown buildings -- the other is the Lafayette Building -- with murals that can change advertising without a city permit, said Katherine Leavey, Detroit's assistant corporate counsel.

In recent weeks, the city has been working to introduce an ordinance limiting or prohibiting temporary signs on downtown buildings during the All-Star Game and the 2006 Super Bowl at Ford Field. A public hearing on the proposed ordinance is scheduled for Wednesday before Detroit City Council.

Some downtown building owners say the ordinance is too restrictive as it seeks to prohibit ads and events unless preapproved by the city, Major League Baseball or the National Football League.

GM's Chevrolet division plans to set up numerous murals and light displays on downtown buildings like the Detroit Opera House and parking decks at the Detroit Athletic Club and Gem Theatre.
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0506/19/D01-219749.htm

Attachments

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
I'm telling you, I saw it in my dream on an 18 wheeler!!! :lol:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
solli4me said:
I'm telling you, I saw it in my dream on an 18 wheeler!!! :lol:
Hey, solli, maybe you are developing psychic powers! Can you predict when my Solstice will be delivered? :lol:

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts

·
Registered
2,887 Posts

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Boycott Pontiac

Is nothing sacred!?! :brentil: I am canceling my Solstice order. Where do those Godless bastards get the nerve taking down the mural honoring the Captain!

:cuss: :mad: :cuss: :mad:

Whoa! :willy: Where did that come from?

Seriously through, all of you (especially those with orders ahead of me - which is about 4,500) should cancel your orders...

...then I might get mine before the snow. :lol:

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I haven't been over to Detroit in the last few weeks, but since the All Star game is coming up here in two weeks I'd suspect this mural needs to get up quickly.

One would think they would take advantage of all the people in the area for July 4th as well...

Keep your eyes peeled and grab a camera if your heading down that way.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Solstice Mural

Any new news on this thread...we're a week away from the all-star game...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts