Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Did you notice the two different tire treads? What's with that? And which might be on the production vehicles? :confused

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Several sources say the tire is an Eagle RS-A tire.

The tread you see has been deduced as an Eagle GS-D3 tire - probably on the "show" car strictly for looks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A few things I noticed!

One picture had a window crank on the pass. door. The wheel well gap seems a bit bigger (smaller rims?), the gas filler door is on the pass. side, fewer detail stitching on the seats, seat tops seem to be taller and pointier, no strange rectangle at the top of dash, steering wheel arms have contours to them, radios are different, knob(?) below radio is missing, knob below and to the right of gauges is now two buttons.

Thats all I could find!

Well, yes I have too much time on my hands, and, there are some weird things at this site - http://www.fast-autos.net/pontiac/pontiacsolstice.html Some pictures look like the gas filler door is on the drivers side, one looks like its on the pass. side.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Nice pics, but I have to admit I am missing where the differences are from. The pics from the show floor seem consistent with the grey background pics Pontiac released. Some of the NAIAS pics are high resolution close-ups that I had not seen before which show some greater detail, but they still look the same to me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The gray background pics from NAIAS are not the same ones from Fast-autos.net

Compare these

Fast Autos

NAIAS

They look the same, but no gas filler door. Someone did a very good job of matching the angles, but these are not the same photo, at all. The question is, which is production, which is concept.

·
Registered
113 Posts
And these ones too!

Fast-autos.net

NAIAS

Lots of differences here. Most notably, window crank, stereo, and knob below stereo

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I see what you are getting at.

The Pontiac pics with the grey background at the NAIAS are not identical to the actual 2006 production prototype shown at the NAIAS. The car that was on the turnstile did have the gas filler door as is shown in the fast autos pics.

I am at work, and cannot find a good interior shot on the net of the interior of the car on the turnstile, but I am guessing it is the interior seen in the fast autos pics too. I base this on the pics Edmunds took of the 06 when they did their test drive. Those actual pics also had that “knob” on the console and not the stereo. (That knob looks like a powerpoint to me too)

PS, sorry for the link but I cannot tag the Edmunds photo to show directly in this thread, but you can pick it out easily. There are two interior shots, one is definitely a photo taken by the Edmunds staff as you can see the natural lighting around it.

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2006/pontiac/solstice/100380124/photos.html

I never noticed the difference between the Pontiac publicized grey photos and the actual car (no gas filler door, slightly different interior details, etc). I would take the actual prototype as being more representative of what the car will look like than those Pontiac grey background shots. They could be taken from an earlier design mule, a clay model, etc.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The car in this video:http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/SurroundVideo.aspx?familyid=1094&usage=intsurround seems to be the same one Mr Lutz is sitting in. Note the light blue/dark grey interior. The other two seem to have two other interior colors (dark grey/light grey and dark grey/tan). Or do you think it may be under exposure or lighting when they were taken?

Just noticed the above videos were taken at two different locations and, I think, of two different cars. The exteriors were taken with a red curtain in the background and the interiors were taken with no red curtain. And again, the interior colors differ.

If they had more than one show cars last spring, the chances are looking better one of them will show up here in a few months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts