Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was poking around the 2005 line-up page GM's had on their site for ever (even though it's missing the Solstice because it's technically a '2006' car), and found GM had actually updated a lot of stuff on their page.

First big thing I found was more detailed information on the MA5 Aisin AR-5 5-Speed manual transmission. This is the product code given to us recently and equates to this small truck transmission. However this might not be the Solstice engine. The optiosn code recently given says the MA5 but other sources online say it's an Aisin MW5.

http://media.gm.com/division/2005_prodinfo/powertrain/transmissions/05_manual_trans_specs.html

Aisin AR-5 (MA5)
Type: rear wheel drive, five-speed manual transmission
Engine range: 2.8L - 3.5L
Maximum engine torque: 225 lb-ft (305 Nm)
Gear ratios:
1st: 3.75
2nd: 2.26
3rd: 1.37
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.73
Rev: 3.67
Case material: aluminum
Center distance: 82mm
Fluid type: STF
Transmission weight: wet: 48.6 kg (107 lb)
Fluid capacity (approximate): 2WD: 2.26L (2.4 qt) 4WD: 2.36L (2.5 qt)
Power take off: no
Applications: Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon
There is an image and a word doc also, both are attached to this thread.
I'll point out a couple parts I found interesting from the document.

"The Aisin AR-5 was selected as a starting point because of its characteristic low-noise levels during operation and the light shift feel and smooth gear engagement properties. The Aisin unit is used in competitive sport-utility applications, meeting car-like noise standards."
"It has been certified for 225 lb. ft. of torque for use with the uplevel inline five cylinder engine."
"Triple-cone synchronizers are used on 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
GM has also updated their 2005 line-up Powertrain site as well.
http://media.gm.com/division/2005_prodinfo/powertrain/engines/05_car_engine_specs.html

You can now get GM official Dyno Graphs (I was amased :eek :willy: ) for their entire line-up of 2005 vehicles for their various engines. (Of course since the Solstice is 2006 car, and the Cobalt no longer has the 2.4L it is missing from this page.)

I've attached the Dyno Graph for the 2.0L Supercharged and the 2.2L ECOTEC for comparison purposes since I feel both are very important to understanding how the 2.4L engine will work. The also have "What's New" documents describing changes for 2005 models.

Interesting bits from these word docs.

"The ECOTEC engines are compact and lightweight. Even though the 2.0L SC includes a supercharger and intercooler, the fully-dressed powertrain requires no more space within an engine bay than the standard 2.2L unit. And at 330 pounds (150 Kg), the 2.0L SC weighs only 23 pounds (10 Kg) more than the 2.2L."

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought I'd post this here instead of making an entirely new thread for it.
In reading threads at C&G.com about the solstice, besides finding Solsticeman and byebmw getting into it in every thread :lol: I also found official refrence to the G6 version of the 2.4L VVT ECOTEC.
http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2005&regionID=1&divisionID=7&type=0&vehicleID=2374&section=oi_def&page=7&butID=16
Engine, ECOTEC, 2.4L, 4-cylinder, MFI, aluminum (165 HP [123.3 kW] @ 6300 rpm, 161 lb.-ft [217.8 N-m] @ 4500 rpm)
So we know the following now
Solstice: 177 HP @ 6600 RPM | 166 ft-lbs @ 4800 RPM
Sky: 170 HP @ 6400 RPM | 162 ft-lbs @ 4800 RPM
G6: 165 HP @ 6300 RPM | 161 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM

As I had mentioned else where I had issues with the Solstice's supposed 20/28 MPG fuel ecnomy for this engine. Especially if this engine is going to be the new staple for a lot of vehicles. However looking at this it appears GM has been tweaking the ECU and various other items to consume more fuel to produce more power on the Solstice along with moving the redline upwards. I'm betting the 165HP version of this engine will end up providing far better fuel economy then what was recently let out about the Solstice.

More then likely this HP varient will be what powers the HHR, G6, Cobalt, ION, Malibu, etc. This should defintely help move a majority of the GM cars up higher in the power classifications since most of the current ECOTECs produce only 140HP-150HP.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Real world mileage will be higher on highway and maybe lower in city based on driving patterns (personal experience, they never rated any of the s/c 3800's at over 30 highway but on a long trip we get about 32mpg in a heavier car at 80 MPH!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
hmmm. 225 lb*ft torque is all? Bummer. Wonder where the weak link will be? Input shaft? Hopefully we get a little better in the Solstice, but if they put a trans in a truck (albeit a small trucklet) that can only take 225 lb*ft, I doubt they'll beef it up for a car.

Hopefully that's a conservitive rating if we do wind up with the same trans. I'd like to be able to mod past that without worrying about breaking parts downstream. For the record, the 4T65E-HD in my GTP was supposedly rated to take 280 lb*ft. I think I got lucky with mine, but I was making closer to 320 (estimated) by the time I de-modded it and traded it in. Never had a transmission failure. Others weren't so lucky. Differential failures were common in those cars (mostly attributed to 1-wheel burnouts) and alot of the big dogs were breaking input shafts.

As an aside, 280 happened to be exactly what the series II 3.8L s/c engine produced in that car. Now the GXP is making something like 325 lb*ft of torque with a northstar and it's mated to...

wait for it...

a 4T65E-HD rated to take exactly the amount of torque the engine produces!!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
What do you think the fuel shutoff for the Solstice will be?

The dash pictures show the redline beginning at about 6750rpm... thicken from 7000 to 7500, and then be definite at 7500 to 8000...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Thanks for finding and sharing the information Brentil!

The power figures per application are very interesting! The lower figures for the G6 has to be for fuel economy reasons. Let the engine run a little leaner to improve fuel mileage at the cost of a few HP. Since the 3500 V6 gets 22 MPG city itself, it wouldn’t make any sense to offer the 2.4L in the car unless they could get the mileage to come out better.

I find the graphs funny. Especially for the 2.0L S/C. Once the HP graph hits 205 HP as they publish, they just flatten out the line and carry it straight over to redline! :glol:

Its funny because of all the dyno runs that have been done with the engine. All the dyno runs consistently report HP at the wheels of about 200 (give or take a few HP) and that the car is still making more power when it reaches its redline. So a redline boost should boost power even higher. They must have chosen the 205 HP figure to publish for some obscure marketing reason, and then tailored their graph to show it as the peak HP. Either that, or they have achieved the flattest HP curve in the industry!

·
Registered
139 Posts
that dyno is hilarious. i dont know why they published such incorrect numbers. ive read that the saturn ion red line team didnt have enough time to work out all the numbers and test the engine at higher output so they just limited the red line and hp. hopefully they have continued to work on the engine and test at higher rpm and power outputs. it would be a shame for an engine this capable to be so hindered. i think its possible for this engine to make 240-250 hp. its already has 197 at the wheels by other dynos and thats with the low redline...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
achieftain said:
Real world mileage will be higher on highway and maybe lower in city based on driving patterns (personal experience, they never rated any of the s/c 3800's at over 30 highway but on a long trip we get about 32mpg in a heavier car at 80 MPH!

I have owned some heavier, much more powerfull cars, that got similar or better mileage. Part of the 20/28 equation in the Solstice is probably due to the rather steep axle ratio, but I would still expect to get better than 28 hwy with a 2900LB car, overdrive and a four banger!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also wonder if the fuel economy results also facotrs in top down driving. So for example if you drove with the top up all the time you could possibly get better averages.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts