Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've put in for vacation on the 14th and 17th of Jan., so if all goes according to plan I'll be there with a big ole smile!!!! :thumbs It's about a 6 hour drive from here, so leaving when the wife gets off of work on friday and then going to the show saturday and hopefully sunday, then coming back on sunday.

·
Registered
56 Posts
To those lucky enough to attend the NAIAS show or the LA Auto Show, please take plenty of pictures of both the Solstice and the Saturn SKY.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I may make it out there again this year. It really depends on how bad the weather is. Driving around lake Erie this time of year is not always the easiest thing to do.

I went to the NAIAS last year for the first time as was blown away by how good it was. Part of that was thanks to the abundance of new sports cars last year, but just sheer volume of concepts and new production vehicles was tremendous. I spent a whole day walking around and never did look at hardly cars that were currently being produced (at the time) other than some of the more rare sports cars. Anyone who can get there and is an auto enthusiast really should make the trip!

PS, they need more benches around that place. It gets tiring walking around so much, and it would be nice to sit down. They had some spots to sit around the VW roadster, and it was packed with people who were worn out!

·
Registered
284 Posts
gmmerc5 said:
To those lucky enough to attend the NAIAS show or the LA Auto Show, please take plenty of pictures of both the Solstice and the Saturn SKY.
Don't worry. I'll be taking my father-in-law's digital camera and I'll load it up with pictures. (I'd take mine, but his is a lot better than mine.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'll most likely be there. I'll probably take a decent number of pictures of the Solstice and/or Sky. I just got a new digital camera a couple weeks ago, so hopefully they'll turn out better than pics from my older camera.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Solstice006 and Simmonsmb, thank you both in advance, I normaly attended the LA car show, but have to leave early this year, will miss the show by 3 days. Can't wait to see the SKY.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Automakers feel pressure as the big show draws near

Automakers feel pressure as the big show draws near

The extravaganza is expected to bring $580 million and 800,000 people to Detroit.

By Brett Clanton / The Detroit News

Charles V. Tines / The Detroit News

Many automakers are adding a second floor to displays this year. Show organizers had even considered using loading docks in back of Cobo for extra floor space.

2005 Auto Show

When: Jan. 15-23
Where: Detroit Cobo Center
Hours:
Jan. 15-22: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. (no admittance after 9 p.m.)
Jan. 23: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. (no admittance after 6 p.m.)
Ticket Prices:
Adult: $12
Senior Citizen: $6 (65 and older)
Child: Under 12 free with an adult
Group discount: $8 per ticket for purchases of 25 tickets or more.
Purchases: Tickets can be purchased online, at the door or at Ticketmaster outlets.

New for 2005

Mercedes M-Class to Debut at Detroit Show
Chrysler shows off tough, flashy concepts
Dodge Charger set to debut at Detroit Show
2005 Models
Recent Concept Cars
Historical Concept Cars

Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery

Despite space constraints at Cobo Center and growing competition from other U.S. auto shows, the 2005 North American International Auto Show is poised to break records and enhance its reputation as one of the world's premier automotive events, event organizers said Monday.

The 2005 auto show, which opens to the public Jan. 15, is expected to generate $580 million in spending in the Detroit area, up 5 percent from the $553 million economic windfall from last year's show. More than 800,000 visitors are expected to attend the nine-day event.

"If you're in the auto industry or you care about the auto industry, you'll be at the show in January," said Bill Cook, senior co-chairman of the 2005 show and owner of Cook Imports in Farmington Hills.

Automakers will spend about $350 million to erect elaborate multi-media displays that are feasts of flashing lights and thumping music beats.

"At the end of the day, it's all about entertainment," said Robert Albitz, senior vice president of worldwide creative services at George P. Johnson Co., the Auburn Hills-based designer of most of the show's exhibits.

The 2005 show will include 65 vehicle introductions, including the Dodge Charger sedan, Ford Fusion sedan, Mercedes-Benz M-Class sport utility vehicle, Saturn Sky roadster and Mitsubishi Raider pickup.

Mercedes-Benz' smart brand also will make its official North American debut.

A number of concept vehicles, such as the Jeep Gladiator, a mid-size truck from DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group, and a Suzuki mid-size SUV, also will be unveiled.

The quantity of new vehicle unveilings will keep Detroit among the world's leading auto shows, even as other U.S. cities such as Los Angeles and New York try to make their shows more competitive, said David Cole, chairman of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor.

"This is the crown jewel of the auto industry's year," he said. "And this will remain the premier show for years to come."

In a first, NBC Sports is planning to host a two-hour live broadcast from Cobo Center on the last day of the show. The network's Nascar racing commentators -- Allen Bestwick, Wally Dallenbach and Bennie Parsons -- will host the broadcast.

No one theme dominates the 2005 show this year, unlike the 2004 show, when Detroit automakers spotlighted new car models such as the Ford Five Hundred sedan, said Richard Genthe, a show co-chairman. But, he said, "we're certainly going to see a big play on alternative fuels."

The small size of Cobo Center is driving many automakers to add a second floor to displays. This year, space constraints led show organizers to consider using loading docks in back of Cobo for floor space. But that idea was abandoned because the partially outdoor docks would have been too hard to heat, Genthe said.

The Detroit Auto Dealers Association has advanced the city of Detroit $100,000 for a feasibility study to explore an expansion of Cobo Center. The study, to be completed next month, is weighing a plan to demolish the adjacent Cobo Arena and create an addition to the main convention hall.

"We have 700,000 square feet now," Genthe said. "We need 900,000."

But all of that is background noise to the main event. The more pressing concern for automakers is how their vehicles will play to the thousands of critics who will pass through the doors of Cobo Center next month.

Eric Ridenour, Chrysler's executive vice president of engineering, said even though he has been through many Detroit auto shows, the pressure to score a hit with consumers is always there.

"Every show," he said, "is a big one."

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0412/14/B01-32833.htm

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
They do need more space! I couldn’t believe how packed in some of the displays were. Ford didn’t seem to have enough pull, as they were packed in really tight. They didn’t have any extra room around the Ford GT and Mustang GT turnstiles, making it very difficult to get a clear picture of the whole car without show goers getting in the way. The vehicles were also really close together, making it hard to maneuver. GM in comparison had much more room, had cars on turnstiles with a lot of free space between the car and the show goers making it easy to get really good pictures, and there was plenty of room between displays to move.

DaimlerChrylser was a little packed too, and some of the imports were nearly squeezed out of the building!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
okie_sol said:
I'll be there for industry preview days. Try to take some shots and post them.

OkieSol
Welcome to the forum! I cannot wait to see your pics!! Take a LOT!! :devil :thumbs :cheers

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have setup areas in the gallery for both shows. :cheers:

If anyone can get pics please upload them there and we can all see them. :D

Just click on Gallery in the top menu. Or click here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts