Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested, here's a conceptual sketch of the 2006 Miata. From Autoblog.com:

"It is reported that the new Mazda MX-5 Miata will grow in size for 2006, and that could be a bad thing for those that loved the small proportions of the original two generations. The Miata will grow due to riding on a modified version of the RX-8 platform. The engine bay will also grow for the addition of a six-cylinder engine. The platform of the RX-8 isn’t the only thing the new Miata is getting from its bigger sibling as foretold by this sketch from Autobild.de. The sketch appears to be pretty accurate from many spy shots that have leaked of the MX-5."

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
wow, I really like the design of this car. If for whatever reason the Solstice and Sky don't pan out, I'd be interested in this car. Especially if it gets the 3 valve or 6 valve rotary engines. I can just imagine a twin-turbo rotary Miata now. ::drool::

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
similar write up in C&D, current issue (Jan 05?).

No, it won't get a rotary. I don't think it's getting a 6 cyl either. The C&D blurb on it stated a 160 hp 4 cyl, and that the dimensions would grow due to larger interior - which means that it's going to gain some weight (can't get bigger in a production car without getting heavier).
I'll try to find and paraphrase it tomorrow if I get a chance.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
solsticeman said:

No, it won't get a rotary. I don't think it's getting a 6 cyl either. The C&D blurb on it stated a 160 hp 4 cyl, and that the dimensions would grow due to larger interior - which means that it's going to gain some weight (can't get bigger in a production car without getting heavier).
Well damn. Was hoping it beign based off the RX-8 platform would be true, would mean it would have the space for the rotary for sure.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
solsticeman said:

Here it is... I'm pecking it in fast, so there will prob be some typos:

This rendering reveals that Mazda will stay true to the Miata's brief but successful history. "You can expect a car that carries on our original formula of light weight and great handling," said Miata chief engineer Takao Kijma. "We'll pick up where the current car left off and take the new model to the next level." Another source close to Mazda claims the new car will grow slightly in size to allow for a roomier interior whose design will borrow heavily from the Ibuki show car seen at Tokyo in 2003.

This image, based on information out of Mazda's Hiroshima headquarters, shows that the new Miata is a combination of old and new traits. It sports enough flare to look new, but at the same time, there is enough of the past so that loyalists don't feel alienated.

Mazda plans to offer two engines for the U.S. A 2.0-liter four-cylinder similar to the one in the Mazda 3 will be the base engine, and a more powerful 2.3-liter will be optional. The rumored switch to rotary power seems to have been ditched in favor of piston power. Two new transmissions - a six-speed manual and a six-speed automatic - will be available with both engines.

byline: Peter Lyon

(the image with the blurb is the same on that is already posted in this thread)

·
4,592 Posts
SAW A FEW SITES THAT CLAIM IT WILL HAVE A MANUAL FOLDING HARDTOP AND MORE INTERIOR SPACE, WONDER IF THAT IS STILL THE CASE? I KNOW THAT IS NO POPULAR FOR WEIGHT/SPEED, BUT IT IS PRETTY COOL!

FOUND A COOL LINK OF FUTURE CAR SPYSHOTS, INCLUDES THE MIATA, 07' CAMARO, NEW BOXSTER... THERE ARE 3 PAGES - BE SURE YOU SEE THEM ALL
http://www.modernracer.com/spyshots/spyshots3.html
CAVEAT, I have no idea how reliable these images are, for example, I understand there is no pic of the new 06 miata, so take is with a grain of salt. Still, some pretty cool pics :thumbs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Give me a break. The sketch of the new Miata looks like a piece of green sh*t that you flush down the toilet when you're sick. This is a Solstice Forum, get rid of these Miata idiots. Conventional wisdom states that there is nothing wrong with men getting in touch with their feminine sides, but Miata fans go way too far. Martha Stewart has a website that they may enjoy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
SNYPER said:
Give me a break. The sketch of the new Miata looks like a piece of green sh*t that you flush down the toilet when you're sick. This is a Solstice Forum, get rid of these Miata idiots. Conventional wisdom states that there is nothing wrong with men getting in touch with their feminine sides, but Miata fans go way too far. Martha Stewart has a website that they may enjoy.
Could somebody please shut this fool up!!??

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
SNYPER said:
Snyp,

Do you have some issues? Take a prozac or risperdal or something. eleven posts and ten of them have elicited negative feedback - why not chill out and actually try to contribute?

You also must keep in mind that there are folks who read this and can be insulted by your bigoted and biased statements. We're all sorry you might have problems with your sexual identity and self confidence, but you don't need to include anyone else in your personal issues. You are right, this is a Solstice forum - not a place for you to show your ignorance.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Are we to the point where we need a moderator? Snyper just cannot seem to post without trolling for trouble.

As for the Miata: I am not all that impressed with the sketch. I think the Miata would look fine with RX-8 design cues, but that sketch doesn't capture the design of the RX-8 front end all that well. The countours of the fenders and hood just don't come through on that sketch, unless they are planning to water them down some.

I don't see Miata getting a V6. A V6 up front would add some weight. I assume they would use the Ford Duratec based 3.0 V6 as they do in their minivan, SUV, and Mazda6. Its not a lightweight engine, and I cannot see a good reason to drop that much weight into the front end of the Miata. It would hurt the balance they have strived so hard to get. The new Mazda PZEV 2.3L motor is a very good 4 cylinder engine. I have not seen anything yet regarding a possible turbocharged version, but I would imagine something like that motor turbo’d would make for a very quick Mazdaspeed Miata. It would certainly blow the doors off of the current Mazdaspeed.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
That's why I think the rotary engine would be a good choice to go in. From everythign I've heard, the motor itself isn't too heavy compared to other i4 engines.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I like the Miata rendering, but it doesn't look too official, so I'm not putting too much stock in it. If is representitive of how the new Miata will look, then it is my second choice to the Solstice. I like it quite a bit better than the Sky sketch, it seems more balanced. Bigger, and by implication, heavier....hummm sounds like they liked the Solstice concept too.

I agree, it should have a rotory option. The base car should be the four banger, and optional power should be a rotory instead of a weak turbo. Like to see more of this car. I imagine we will in January.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
mceb said:
I think the Miata forum is speculating a Geneva auto show premier later in the spring. More will probably leak out before then.
I do not think Miata will be at Detroit either. In terms of practicality, its probably not the place for Mazda to introduce a new roadster anyway. Detroit is always dominated by the domesitics, and especially GM. The Sky intro and production trim Solstice would likely overshadow the Miata.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, introducing their new roadster in the same place as the domestic release of the Solstice and Sky wouldn't be the best marketing move.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Based on the information we have, the new Miata would cure most of my complaints about the current model - more interior space, more power (at least as an option). HOWEVER, the Solstice should provide equivalent space and even more power, plus it's got better looks. Sorry Mazda, but barring some unforeseen problems with the Solstice, I'm switching.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts