Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2006 NA manual since 2015.
I drove it to work on Friday with no issues. Never any starting issues.

Then Saturday morning I went out and all the electronics (lights, radio, etc) work but all I get is click (sounds like the solenoid for the starter).

I hooked up my battery maintainer and it showed charging, so I waited a few hours. I went back out and the car started :). I figured it was the battery (7 years old now). I went out to get a battery leaving the maintainer on it. I attempted to start it to move it out of the garage to change the battering and again it just clicked - no turn over.

When I turn the key in to the on position, oddly the tach and speedo needles try to rotate counter-clock wise and you can see the 'straining' to move below the zero hashes on the tach and speedo. Then they just rest at zero as the would usually.

Any ideas on what I should be looking at?

I hope it is not the starter.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
18,741 Posts
LOL its the BATTERY

I had the exact same issue. I bought a new starter. Then it turned out to be the battery.

Change the battery then test it.

·
Registered
2009 , Solstice base 5 speed Red
125 Posts
Hook a digital volt meter to the battery . Watch the voltage as you try and crank the engine. I suspect you might see an immediate drop from 12ish volts to 7 or 8 while key is in the crank position. At 7 years your battery has had a good life . Most likely it's time to pony up for a new one.

·
Registered
2006 red 2.4 5sp, very low km
93 Posts
Update!!

Swapped out the battery (that was a process :)) and the Solstice fired up right away.

Thanks for all the help!!!
I swapped out my battery for the first time after learning the procedure on the forum and utube. Was daunting to think about, but after it was done successfully, now I know how to do it. It really wasn't that bad, maybe an hour at most removing fender....I am not very good with the tools.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts