Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 264 Posts

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy on the link below claims he scanned photos of the NC from MT magazine:

http://forum.miata.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=42;t=000256

his scans:

http://www.geocities.com/rxnino9/front.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/rxnino9/back.JPG

what's with the boot cover area, almost looks like a stowed retractable hardtop???

Like the dual exhaust!

Not sure about the rx-8 styled fenders.

Like the hood styling of the NB much better!

These are preliminary judgments, I reserve the right to update them :lol:

Not confirmed these are the real deal,, but not bashed as NOT being real, that's something

RODEO
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the source on that is elbee at the MF forum.

Here's his quotes from the mag:

Can't believe the April issue was on the stands Feb. 20! Looks great other than the pronounced fender lips. To be called MX-5, not Miata.

Headlights are NX2000-like but flush, and with the same hood cutline.

Interior is upscale, with huge speedo and tach and avail. wood accents

Rear looks just like a perfect modern update of the NB.

Gotta weigh 2600 and cost 25K.

New 2.0 with 170HP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Just saw those scans. The Solstice has my vote on styling, and now the weight difference looks to be only 200lbs and instead of 300 that R&T had predicted. Not as easy of a decision as I thought it would be. Need to see a few more angles like a side shot and a straight on shot of the front.

EDIT: the 2600 lbs was just a guess on the part of the poster. No official weight yet.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tcl, what do you make of the top/boot cover area? something's odd there, I can't decide if I think it's a retractable, but it doesn't look like a normal convertibletop???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
RODEO said:
tcl, what do you make of the top/boot cover area? something's odd there, I can't decide if I think it's a retractable, but it doesn't look like a normal convertibletop???
Hard to say. Maybe they developed an integrated cover that pulls out after the top is folded. It looks too smooth to be the kind you take out of the trunk and snap on.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good call on teh boot cover thought, I think you are on the right track!

tcl said:
Just saw those scans. The Solstice has my vote on styling, and now the weight difference looks to be only 200lbs and instead of 300 that R&T had predicted. Not as easy of a decision as I thought it would be. Need to see a few more angles like a side shot and a straight on shot of the front.

EDIT: the 2600 lbs was just a guess on the part of the poster. No official weight yet.
:agree: The NC is at the bottom of my list for style points. The MSM has the classic roadster design, the Sol a progressive roadster design, the NC I have a feeling will get bashed for odd looks much like the rx-8 (not by everybody of course).

Nothing to get excited about in my mind, but that is subject to change as we see more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
RODEO said:
... The NC is at the bottom of my list for style points. The MSM has the classic roadster design, the Sol a progressive roadster design, the NC I have a feeling will get bashed for odd looks much like the rx-8 (not by everybody of course).

Nothing to get excited about in my mind, but that is subject to change as we see more.
Yes, that first overhead front shot did not excite me, but then that's not the angle you'd normally look at the car from. I need to see what it looks like from eye level and get the real weight.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
tcl said:
Yes, that first overhead front shot did not excite me, but then that's not the angle you'd normally look at the car from. I need to see what it looks like from eye level and get the real weight.
Agree. The front doesn't move me from that weird above angle.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Attachments

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
from johan erikson at MF regardng the top:

Supposedly it's folded just like the Porsche Boxster/BMW Z4 top. What you see that looks like a boot cover is actually the front part of the roof. If you were to look at the top from the left when it is closing it would resemble a "Z". So the top covers itself up when folded, making any loose boot covers unnecessary.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Still hard to tell what's real and what isn't. Comments from that thread...

Torgue looks low if these #s are real....
HP is 170
Torque 136
Redline 6700
Variable Valve Timing
Variable Induction
Lightweight Flywheel
6 SPD Paddle Shift optional
Rear Suspension is a 5 link derived from RX-8
Tilt Wheel
Engine was mounted further back and lower
No place to mount a front plate
Structural Rigidity is up but they didn't say how much
They are discussing 2500 or 2600 lbs but don't seem to know for sure if those are real #s...
If it's 2600lbs w/ 170 HP then the NB/MSM smokes it. Even the Solstice/Sky start looking a LOT more competitive when you consider a factory installed supercharger will be in the line-up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
RODEO said:
from johan erikson at MF regardng the top:

Supposedly it's folded just like the Porsche Boxster/BMW Z4 top. What you see that looks like a boot cover is actually the front part of the roof. If you were to look at the top from the left when it is closing it would resemble a "Z". So the top covers itself up when folded, making any loose boot covers unnecessary.
Sounds good. I can see my decision coming down to the styling and torque of the Solstice versus the agility and trunk space of the MX-5. I have a feeling the MX-5 will be a more refined car given that it has evolved over 15 years where as the Solstice went from concept to production relatively quickly. Just need a little more info on the MX-5 to finalize my choice.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
tcl said:
Sounds good. I can see my decision coming down to the styling and torque of the Solstice versus the agility and trunk space of the MX-5. I have a feeling the MX-5 will be a more refined car given that it has evolved over 15 years where as the Solstice went from concept to production relatively quickly.
It's a 3rd generation car so it should be more refined. Top should be easier to work too.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mceb said:
It's a 3rd generation car so it should be more refined. Top should be easier to work too.
Easier, to the Sol or NB? NB can't get easier than click click flop, OK, the boot takes time, but "we don't need no stinkin boots" :lol:

I was out in the drizzle the other day, and put the top up and down twice in 30 minutes when the rain got too heavy, just popped it up at a light when it started getting heavy enough to get the interior wet. Kinda like putting on a hat :glol:

Loved showing off the convertible in the drizzle when it was light enought to drive in!!! Wipers going, but not heavy enough at most times to get the interior wet :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
mceb said:
.... Top should be easier to work too.
I'd say that's part of being more refined. I'm guessing that my money is going to Mazda in 2005 and might go somewhere else a few years down the road after both of these cars have improved by battling for market share.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mceb said:
Sol mainly but it looks like they may have improved on NB too with no boot needed (even though you don't use yours)
I look forward to seing the NC top in action if this is the production version! Wonder if a NB could be modified to have an NC top?
 
1 - 20 of 264 Posts
Top