Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
533 Posts
Here's a link to many more reviews:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=140843

All praise the steering, handling, ride, and transmission. Most praised the engine. The negative tones so far seem to come from one UK journalist (author of two of the reviews) who seems to like some of the more elemental aspects of the original better.

Mine is slated to be assembled this week.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Is it wrong to think that even in their third generation... they are still butt-ugly?

There is nothing hot or sleek about them. They look like bars of soap with ridgid, industrial styling (the center console says it all).

·
5,600 Posts
The MX5 is sure to be the best performing Miata yet and great overall sports car. I am sure it will have a loyal following. I would be very very surprised if the road test reviews were less than glowing. I am sure the MX5 will be more refined than the Solstice, should be more responsive (unless the chassis stiffness can't compensate for the Sostice's additional weight) and will have more amenities than the Solstice or Sky.

I still will never consider buying one because IMHO it looks simply awful. That may be a bad reason to reject a good car, but looks are way too important to overlook. At 46 years old, I feel like I've been waiting forever for someone to offer a truly gorgeous sports car at an affordable price.

Then again, the Miata is a tad smaller and lighter than I want in a weekend roadster. I vastly prefer the size, the weight, the performance and the looks of the Honda S2000 to the MX5 (or UMCSC to some :jester: ). And an S2000 is probably what I would be eyeing in the absense of the Solstice an Sky.

But you can never have too many great sports cars, so Kudo's to Mazda for getting us back on track in the affordable sports car business and staying with it long enough to renew the genre single-handedly. It deserves all the good reviews it is getting.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
still will never consider buying one because IMHO it looks simply awful. That may be a bad reason to reject a good car, but looks are way too important to overlook. At 46 years old, I feel like I've been waiting forever for someone to offer a truly gorgeous sports car at an affordable price.

Then again, the Miata is a tad smaller and lighter than I want in a weekend roadster. I vastly prefer the size, the weight, the performance and the looks of the Honda S2000 to the MX5 (or UMCSC to some ). And an S2000 is probably what I would be eyeing in the absense of the Solstice an Sky.
Ya took the words right outta my mouth, Jimbo. :)

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jimbo said:
... I am sure the MX5 will be more refined than the Solstice, should be more responsive (unless the chassis stiffness can't compensate for the Sostice's additional weight) and will have more amenities than the Solstice or Sky....

But you can never have too many great sports cars, so Kudo's to Mazda for getting us back on track in the affordable sports car business and staying with it long enough to renew the genre single-handedly. It deserves all the good reviews it is getting.
Not so sure, Jimbo. If the planets align correctly, through a contact of an acquaintence..... I may get a chance at the MX-5 in a week or two. Keeping fingers crossed, but I've also had some "inside" evaluations that were enlightening. I just prefer to drive it and judge for myself, rather than pass on 3rd hand info.

I agree on the roadster market (which was nearly dead 15 years ago) owing its revival to Mazda.

I also think that the 06 MX-5 owes its incredible price to the Solstice coming on the market.

My personal opinion, there is room for both cars, which I think can co-exist in the market without resorting to true exchange-of-blows over which car is better. My guess is that both cars will be great, and great in ways which emphasize different aspects of the roadster experience. I think that they may appeal to different people as much as the Solstice and Sky will appeal to two different populations.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Outside of cosmetics, I don't think the real differences will show until the cars are driven past the 8/10 or 9/10 point. Since 90% or more of drivers never go beyond 6/10 with their cars it will just be something enthusiasts for each marque can debate back and forth forever.

To quote my brother-in-law, "Most people run out of guts long before they run out of car"

And as one Sales Manager on on Miata.net says

To the AVERAGE buyer of either car the main issues will be:

1-Does it come in (insert color)?
2-What's my trade worth?
3-How much (little) down payment do you need?
4-What's my payment?
5-How's the stereo sound?
6-What's my payment?
7-I wonder if my wife/husband/SO/cosigner likes it?
8-What's my payment?
9-Can I take it home today?
and.....
10-What's my payment?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While true LBJay, keep in mind that the auto mags that attended the Lutz event in Portland were the same ones that prolly attended the MX-5 event in Hawaii. They have driven both (albiet not side by side or day-one-to-day-two), and whenever the articles come out for the Solstice driving experience, there are bound to be comparisons between the two.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
True, but both were under control of the factory reps.

We'll have to wait until both companies give production cars out to the mags for full on reviews and head to head shoot outs.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
LBJay said:
True, but both were under control of the factory reps.

We'll have to wait until both companies give production cars out to the mags for full on reviews and head to head shoot outs.
I know this will matter to the manufacturers for advertising purposes,
but in the real, eveyday world, the results will probably only matter to a small percentage of buyers. I wouldn't even be in the market for one of these if it ween't for the Solstice. I don't like the looks of the Miata, and I wouldn't be willing to pay the price for the others. And I don't think I'm alone.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...hear hear

Popeye said:
I think if the Miata had not been the hit it was and is this forum would not be here
I agree. While it doesn't appeal to me, it obviously has to many. The 'most sold sportscar in history' is not a shabby acheivement. I'll give everyone I pass on the road a tip of the ole hat. :cool:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
RichSol said:
I agree. While it doesn't appeal to me, it obviously has to many. The 'most sold sportscar in history' is not a shabby acheivement. I'll give everyone I pass on the road a tip of the ole hat. :cool:
:agree: :agree: :agree:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Given the weight difference, smaller wheels, and better gear ratios (6-speeds have closer ratio than 5-speeds), the new MX-5 should beat the stock Solstice in all performance catagories, except 0-100 times and quarter mile, maybe. Like others said, the styling of the Solstice is so fresh and better looking than the MX-5 it will be a favorite with all ladies.

If this bothers anyone, then head to upgrades for better performance numbers and keep those stock MX-5's in the rearview mirror. Remember, 100 lbs translates into 15 hp giving the MX-5 a 40-50 hp advantage over the Solstice.

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Delnari said:
Given the weight difference, smaller wheels, and better gear ratios (6-speeds have closer ratio than 5-speeds), the new MX-5 should beat the stock Solstice in all performance catagories, except 0-100 times and quarter mile, maybe. Like others said, the styling of the Solstice is so fresh and better looking than the MX-5 it will be a favorite with all ladies.

If this bothers anyone, then head to upgrades for better performance numbers and keep those stock MX-5's in the rearview mirror. Remember, 100 lbs translates into 15 hp giving the MX-5 a 40-50 hp advantage over the Solstice.
I confess that (1) I do VERY much prefer the styling of the Solstice, but (2) will purchase the car (Solstice or MX-5) that "fits me" best. (I do sincerely hope that it is the Solstice.)

The Copper Red on the MX-5 would look very nice on the Solstice, BTW. :yesnod:

--Chemist

1 - 20 of 31 Posts