Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Delnari said:
Given the weight difference, smaller wheels, and better gear ratios (6-speeds have closer ratio than 5-speeds), the new MX-5 should beat the stock Solstice in all performance catagories, except 0-100 times and quarter mile, maybe. Like others said, the styling of the Solstice is so fresh and better looking than the MX-5 it will be a favorite with all ladies.

If this bothers anyone, then head to upgrades for better performance numbers and keep those stock MX-5's in the rearview mirror. Remember, 100 lbs translates into 15 hp giving the MX-5 a 40-50 hp advantage over the Solstice.
I gotta say, I don't think I agree - the power:weight ratio as advertised by both companies indicates an advantage for the MX-5, but indications gleaned from drives show the Sol' is prolly living up to its promise.

However, I haven't seen anyone allowed to test an MX-5 yet. They better get a 0-60 time of under 7 seconds, or they are underreporting mass (2474 Curb) or overreporting engine power (170hp).

I have a feeling the MX5 also will come in pretty close to the Sol in terms of grip. We haven't seen any of the Portland articles for Solstice (until after end of Aug), but we've seen most of the MX5 articles about driving in Hawaii.

Then there's less tangibles, like structural feel, size of the cockpit, and all the other tradeoffs (no tonneau vs. breeze to operate top, etc.).

In fact, I wouldn't be surprized if the two cars are pretty much indistinguishable from a "numbers" standpoint.

We'll see, I may get to drive an MX5 in a week or so...

·
Registered
533 Posts
solsticeman said:
..... I may get a chance at the MX-5 in a week or two. ...
Let us know your impressions and whether or not it was a pre-production model. May also help if you verify that the tire pressures are within spec.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
tcl said:
Let us know your impressions and whether or not it was a pre-production model. May also help if you verify that the tire pressures are within spec.
Always do.

·
5,600 Posts
LBJay said:
Outside of cosmetics, I don't think the real differences will show until the cars are driven past the 8/10 or 9/10 point.
For performance, I agree with you. For day to day use, I expect to see differences between the Solstice and MX5 in terms of ergomomics, comfort, practicality (remember the Sol has NO trunk), as well as perhaps steering feel, shifter feel, etc. I think I know what you mean in that the real performance differences won't manifest themselves until you approach the limit in both cars, but I do think the normal day-to-day differences will be significant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to my local Pontiac dealer to try out a Solstice. Everthing was going great until my dear wife asked the salesperson how much room was in the trunk with the top down. Well when she seen how little room there was that was it. It all worked out in the end because I found a 2006 MX5 Copper Red GT, 6MT that was a repo. and was in very nice shape. The good part was I saved around 10 grand Canadian.

I love the Solstice and the Sky but I love my wife dearly.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I went to my local Pontiac dealer to try out a Solstice. Everthing was going great until my dear wife asked the salesperson how much room was in the trunk with the top down. Well when she seen how little room there was that was it. It all worked out in the end because I found a 2006 MX5 Copper Red GT, 6MT that was a repo. and was in very nice shape. The good part was I saved around 10 grand Canadian.

:wtf: You couldn't get your wife to pack less cloths?OH well,so much for the beautiful curves.I think you should probably post this on the Miata forum,you'll most likely get a good chose reaction over there. Happy roadstering and love that wife.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I agree with Mrtoycrazy...

My wife and I don't have a problem with the available room in the Solstice's trunk...top up or down. We've both learned to pack soft (duffle) bags that conform to the available space and we've carried enough clothes with us for a 3 or 4 day trek. To each his own but we'll stick with the Solstice; thank you.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...well

We all have our priorities. I'm divorced and have the car I love.

(And a wonderful gf who likes the car too)
:cool:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

Obviously the available luggage rack would've solved your problem and you wouldn't need to drive around in a guppy-mobile.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...hmmm

Obviously the available luggage rack would've solved your problem and you wouldn't need to drive around in a guppy-mobile.
How many people really like tying their luggage to the outside of their trunk? Not to mention that it would obscure your rear view. I think the small trunk is just something you have to live with....or not. To each his/her own.
:cool:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts