Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to your forum so I apologize before I start if I am posting to the wrong area. I am looking at buying a 2006 Pontiac Solstice and I know there is a rear end issue with them. This one will grind or crunch at slow speed when making a sharp turn. It also wines and rear end runs hot. It has had the differential seal replaced from GM already. I do realize that their are threads on here about the rear end issues, but what I am looking for is what is my best alternative for fixing the issue. I see their is an aftermarket differential you can buy from Auto tech sport tuning. Is this a good way to go? Is their other issues I need to address? Looking for some good advice on the situation before I buy it. I would probably do the work myself. I have a garage and tinker around with cars now as a hobby. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The grinding/crunching on slow speed turns is the clutch packs in the limited slip part of the diff. GM recommends flushing and refilling the diff with the proper lubricant and the correct friction modifier for the limited slip differential. This may cure it or may not. If not, the clutch packs need to be replaced.

The whining and running hot is a pretty good indicator that the diff will soon need to be replaced, at least in my experience. Mine was replaced at about 8200 miles and had whined and run hot and leaked through the vent since it was new. While the replacement whines a bit, it is not a bit like the first one and I have had almost 11 years of use out of it.

Hope this helps you a bit.

:thumbs:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts