Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Car & Driver TV over the weekend and they previewed the 2006 Saturn VUE. They made a big deal that GM was using a Honda engine.
Quote "We can't believe that GM who invented the automatic transmission and have very good engines would use a foreign engine". They also stated that the Saturn VUE even with the Honda engine, still does not live up the other SUV's in it's class.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Getting the Honda engines was part of some technology swap they did. I don’t remember what Honda got out of the deal, but GM gets some Honda V6’s.

I can believe GM uses the engine. It really makes a lot of sense. GM has always used Saturn as their import fighter brand. One of the biggest complaints about their vehicles from import buyers is their unrefined sounding pushrod motors. Using the creamy Honda V6 in the Vue certainly makes it more competitive with import competition. It also replaced an ancient Opel sourced V6 which was a real lump.

It may not live up to all the other vehicles in its class, and it suffers from some odd Saturn styling, but it has also been a success for Saturn and GM. The Vue sells well, and has kept Saturn afloat the last few years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts