Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a Black 2006 Solstice for my 31st Birthday back in January with only 32000 miles on it! Anyway I have checked my owners manual, online manuals, online photos, online forums, solstice websites and couldn't find any info. This mystery switch is driving me nuts! I switched it on after I first bought the car and thought I was going to hear Mr. Pheeny's voice saying "Don't use Turbo Boost Michael! Something tells me you shouldn't touch Turbo Boost!" ...Oh wait never mind that would actually be in a Big Brother Trans Am, LMAO my favorite show growing up, but nothing did happen for real and the red light didn't even turn on. I assumed this had something to do with the 12 volt adapter plug that comes out of the drivers side of the console, but it was already plugged into the cigarette lighter adapter. It doesn't seem like a stock OEM switch as you can see in the picture I can pull it out freely and it's not secure like the other dials and switches near it. And no this doesn't activate NOS Paul Walker style either, the trunk is empty. Any ideas what this switch does and WTF the 12 volt plug is for? I have read other threads here about later Solstice GXP models with a traction control switch but I don't think that's what this is. I know what you all are thinking from the second pic. Hey this guy is full of it, that's a Sky! I see a Saturn Sky shifter! Yes true but I followed pantherqs instructions on his thread on this site and installed a sweet chromed out stock Sky shifter as the idiot that owned my car previously had removed the stock Solstice shifter and did a hack saw job on the shift shaft to be able to install a custom shift knob and used this nasty yellow glue I had to remove too. I would appreciate any info about what this switch might be though. Thanks guys.

[/url][/IMG]

·
Administrator
9,254 Posts
I would presume it may have been a shortcut way to wire a lighted Windrestrictor....seems silly since the great folks at King Penn Inc send along directions!

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
A bit difficult to determine what some guys custom sw does from a distance! You'll have to trace where the wires go yourself.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Why would someone remove the traction control button for a random switch?

·
Administrator
9,254 Posts
Why would someone remove the traction control button for a random switch?
2006 and 2007 NAs did not have a traction control button....there is only a blank there. That's where the switch for my lighted wind restricter is too.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Does your front license plate sometimes disappear? Does your rear license plate number change frequently? With it in the on position, have you noticed that you don't seem to get stopped at any traffic signals? Do neighborhood dogs bark excessively when you pass by? Have you seen any police officers on the side of the road tapping on their radar units? Does anything that you stick into your 12 volt receptacle light up? So many options ...

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Does your front license plate sometimes disappear? Does your rear license plate number change frequently? With it in the on position, have you noticed that you don't seem to get stopped at any traffic signals? Do neighborhood dogs bark excessively when you pass by? Have you seen any police officers on the side of the road tapping on their radar units? Does anything that you stick into your 12 volt receptacle light up? So many options ...
:lol:Yep....so many options!! I can tell you that it's the same aftermarket switch that I used in several applications in my truck. My guess would also be a windrestrictor (possibly some other mod) that the previous owner kept, but what surprises me is that the 12v is plugged in. I'd hate to think it only goes to some bare wires hanging somewhere.. :willy:

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
2006 and 2007 NAs did not have a traction control button....there is only a blank there. That's where the switch for my lighted wind restricter is too.
Ahh. Never knew that. Never got to drive an '06. Just 07 GXPs and newer. Then eventually my 2009 2.4L that has traction and adjustable driver seat.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,496 Posts
Ahh. Never knew that. Never got to drive an '06. Just 07 GXPs and newer. Then eventually my 2009 2.4L that has traction and adjustable driver seat.
Traction Control/ESC on the NAs:
Not Available: 2006 and 2007
Optional: 2008
Standard: 2009

:dthumbs:

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
:lol:Yep....so many options!! I can tell you that it's the same aftermarket switch that I used in several applications in my truck. My guess would also be a windrestrictor (possibly some other mod) that the previous owner kept, but what surprises me is that the 12v is plugged in. I'd hate to think it only goes to some bare wires hanging somewhere.. :willy:
So trace the wires already!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I guess I will have to trace the wires to figure it out. There's no windscreen so that's not it. The 12 volt plug doesn't make sense either. It just kind of exists. No hub slashers, no stinger missles behind the headlights, no champagne chiller, no oil slick nozzle, no license plate swapping, No Turbo Boost : ( I don't want to take half the dash apart to trace the wires but if I do some upgrades I may check it out at that time. I still got 1 out of 3 functional cup holders, and that ain't bad! Thanks for all the ideas guys.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Could possibly have been a windscreen that the previous owner decided to keep or sell separately.....

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Read the threads on headunit replacement. There are clues in there stating that some bits must run on 12V. Also - radar detectors require 12V so that may be it.

Quote Morfious - "Now on to the really fun part the wiring harness. I know my way around a soldering iron and have a minor knowledge of schematics and how to read them. I took all the harnesses into the basement and started connecting it all up. It went fairly easy, until I started making changes and re-reading that some wires need extra 12 volt accessory connections etc. What I did in the end (day 2 at 7:30 am) was make a pigtail with 5 ends tapped into the 12v accessory line of the after market harness as well as do the same for the ground. This turned out to be a great method although it looks a bit messy. Wire ties and electrical tape were used to try and keep things in good order. I also tested each component (with the radio in my lap) prior to install just to make sure everything was A-OK.

EDIT - When making your pigtail tap a few extra lines off the yellow battery line as well. Sirius, Bluetooth, and the blinker relay should be run from a constant 12v source"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts