Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Sky, so already familiar with these cars. What I’m not used to is apparently the differential “clunk” that was brought to my attention by a few Solstice owners. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2006, first one thousand, manual Solstice with 17,000 miles. After reading about the differential issue and the low speed clunking sound, I’m inclined to pass on the deal. Is this a real reason for concern? Is it that noticeable? I can wait to find a later model year. This particular car is an extremely clean, low mileage example at a very attractive price. But, not local, so any test drive is out of the question. Thanks in advance!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,623 Posts
I have a 2006, first one thousand, about 18000 miles on the clock, and have never had the "clunk". Part of the clunk is how you drive it, and then another part is the transmission itself. If the price is right, take a chance on it. There aren't a huge number of Solstices out there, even if they all were for sale.

Go for it.

:thumbs:

·
Administrator
11,665 Posts
The clunk is noticeable sometimes, but it isn't a sign of a problem and I would not let it keep me away from a good deal.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
The 06 clunk seems to be one of those problems that bugs some people more than others. Or the clunk is more noticeable on some 06s than it is on others. Dunno. I have a 1st 1000 and don't really notice it, but then I put less than 1,000 miles a year on it, and drive like an old man wearing coke bottle thick glasses. I bought our used 06 due to its condition, mileage, color, and that it was a manual. The game plan was to put a V8 in it. Then life happened, so if I had to do it all over again I would either bought the DDM MP62 supercharger, or bought a GXP and had a larger PAW turbocharger installed. As it is now, it's just a cruiser.

FWIW, the 06s also don't have traction control, power door locks, or power seats.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My 2006 V8 car has the "clunk" but it doesn't bother me, it is the 1 noise the car sometimes makes that isn't agreeable. All the other noises make me smile.
As others have said the clunk does not indicate a failed or soon to fail part, it is just a noise, that is worse on some cars, or driving styles, and bothers some owners more than others.
Also 2006 cars can have power locks, but they don't have power lock buttons on the door panels. You either have to let the car automatically lock/unlock the doors, use the key fob, or heaven forbid go old school and actually pull up on the knob.

Reactions: Bama

·
Administrator
11,665 Posts
My 2006 V8 car has the "clunk" but it doesn't bother me, it is the 1 noise the car sometimes makes that isn't agreeable. All the other noises make me smile.
As others have said the clunk does not indicate a failed or soon to fail part, it is just a noise, that is worse on some cars, or driving styles, and bothers some owners more than others.
Also 2006 cars can have power locks, but they don't have power lock buttons on the door panels. You either have to let the car automatically lock/unlock the doors, use the key fob, or heaven forbid go old school and actually pull up on the knob.
It is also possible to add an unlock button.

·
Administrator
11,665 Posts
I notice a little in my gxp, nut noware neer what my 06 had.never had a issue with it. I woodent worry aboutit.
A GXP will not exhibit the "clunk" that is present in many '06s due to the presence of the transmission to axle strut, so that noise may actually be an indication of a problem that should be investigated.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
It is better known as a torque arm, it can been seen as item (4) in the attached diagram.

White Line Music Font Auto part

It keeps the rear of the transmission and the front of the differential from moving independently.
I have actually owned 2 older Pontiac's with this type of rear suspension, my 1977 Astre & a 1997 Firebird.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,181 Posts
I have heard it called a torque bar, torque arm and drive line support but never a strut. ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,181 Posts
GM used the torque bar a lot over the years on many vehicles. The 3rd generation Camaro had it as well. The 3rd generation Camaro also had a trans mount too.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
2,396 Posts
A GXP will not exhibit the "clunk" that is present in many '06s due to the presence of the transmission to axle strut, so that noise may actually be an indication of a problem that should be investigated.
no strut on my gxp.is a auto and the strut was not the issue that my 06 had.that was massive bask lash issue witch is what the problem gm had.

·
Registered
Previously owned a 2007 Solstice. Base model, manual trans, limited slip, black on tan.
357 Posts
Wasnt that the one where you had to loosen off the motor mounts to change the rear plugs. I did like the looks and performance for the time though.
Correct! Had to jack the engine up on the driver's side to get past the steering column. Not a big deal really.
Grumpy Jenkins had one as a pro-stock, that's why I bought it at the time. Everything was chocked by smog control and brand new unleaded fuel...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts