Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Previously owned a 2007 Solstice. Base model, manual trans, limited slip, black on black.
99 Posts
Try a decent GM dealership. Most likely GM uses the speed sensor across a plethora of vehicles. Let us know how you make out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try a decent GM dealership. Most likely GM uses the speed sensor across a plethora of vehicles. Let us know how you make out!
Thank you for your response, but the dealership told me it is a discontinued part they can't get it. I have searched all over the internet and no luck. Any other suggestions?

Ty

·
Registered
Previously owned a 2007 Solstice. Base model, manual trans, limited slip, black on black.
99 Posts
Humm....Well I've been told its a Toyota Manual Trans. Pull the one you have (then clean off the end really well) pop it back in and see if that makes it work again. There are no moving parts....its a Hall Effect Sensor. It counts the non magnetic gap of the speedo pulse wheel. If no go, take the part with you to a Toyota dealership and see if they can match it up. Hopefully someone else will chime in!

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I may have one on a spare trans. I can check tonight and will reply if I find one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Humm....Well I've been told its a Toyota Manual Trans. Pull the one you have (then clean off the end really well) pop it back in and see if that makes it work again. There are no moving parts....its a Hall Effect Sensor. It counts the non magnetic gap of the speedo pulse wheel. If no go, take the part with you to a Toyota dealership and see if they can match it up. Hopefully someone else will chime in!
Ty so much I will try...appreciate you!

·
Administrator
8,961 Posts
It is not a Toyota transmission, it was made by Aisin:
  • 2004 to 2008– Chevy Colorado / GMC Canyon
  • 2006 to 2010– Pontiac Solstice / Saturn Sky / Hummer H3
  • 1998– 2002– Isuzu Trooper
  • 2014– Polaris Slingshot
That said, the sensor is likely to be common to quite a few things that this specific transmission was not used in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is not a Toyota transmission, it was made by Aisin:
  • 2004 to 2008– Chevy Colorado / GMC Canyon
  • 2006 to 2010– Pontiac Solstice / Saturn Sky / Hummer H3
  • 1998– 2002– Isuzu Trooper
  • 2014– Polaris Slingshot
That said, the sensor is likely to be common to quite a few things that this specific transmission was not used in.
Ty for your response. I am having difficulty finding the sensor for a 5 spd. No problem getting it fir an automatic.

·
Administrator
8,961 Posts
Ty for your response. I am having difficulty finding the sensor for a 5 spd. No problem getting it fir an automatic.
The manual is designated the AR5 and is made by Aisin. The automatic is designated the GM 5L40-E and is made by GM. Technically speaking they are both 5-speeds.

The places I have looked indicate that they are currently out of stock, not that they have been discontinued. While that doesn't help you now, it is a positive omen for the future.

Is yours physically broken, or are you having trouble with its function?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The manual is designated the AR5 and is made by Aisin. The automatic is designated the GM 5L40-E and is made by GM. Technically speaking they are both 5-speeds.

The places I have looked indicate that they are currently out of stock, not that they have been discontinued. While that doesn't help you now, it is a positive omen for the future.

Is yours physically broken, or are you having trouble with its function?
Check engine light and that's the code read fix. Speedometer is not working. Can't get it smoked :(

·
Premium Member
4,743 Posts
Humm....Well I've been told its a Toyota Manual Trans. ....
You were not told that on this forum...

Here are two good threads...

plus this...

·
Registered
563 Posts
The AR5 is basically a better, rebadged Toyota R154/155 (also made by Aisin.)

They won't bolt up in place of one another, but they share a lot of parts and geometry, and more than a few swaps have taken place and it doesn't take much.

Unfortunately, the VSS is located on the tail housing, which is specific to the '06 Solstice, so it may not have a huge interchange pool to draw from.

·
Registered
99 Posts
sirwm,
Thanks for the list of shared components! That will come in handy as items need to be replaced.
No, I never stated someone on this site said it was a Toyota Trans.
I was still working for GM Powertrain in Pontiac, Mi. at the time; in the Cylinder Head Group. (gone in 2009 with the melt down, as I was salaried..)
I asked one of my buddies in the Trans group who made the gear box, since GM had abandoned manuals years before.
They became a 'purchased finished commodity' just like transfer cases and differentials.
I see Phil chimed in to basically explain more history in detail.
Thank You Phil.....

·
Registered
563 Posts
The shared components list is misleading. I think it came out very early in the solstice development and not everything made it through to production, or got changed afterwards.

This is not an all inclusive list, but for example -

Manual Transmission: You also need the correct bellhousing and tailhousing. Gearing was shared in 2006, 2007+ is different.
Differential: The 2006 solstice used the same case halfs as the CTS/STS, but had different gearing, so no direct swap there. 2007+ is different.
Steering Wheel: Used in basically every GM car from 2006ish through 2013ish.
Passenger Airbag: Not shared with the Cobalt. They look similar in the car but inflate differently. Same story for driver's airbag.
Vents: The side Fiat vents interchange. The center ones look very similar in pictures but are larger.
Storage bin: Only the latch is shared with the XLR, not the actual door or bin itself

·
Registered
99 Posts
Phil, good to know! Thanks.
One other thought on the speed sensor. Try contacting power train products or jasper. As reman shops they may have parts or insight as to where to get them!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Phil, good to know! Thanks.
One other thought on the speed sensor. Try contacting power train products or jasper. As reman shops they may have parts or insight as to where to get them!
Ty for the suggestions. Appreciated..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I was in your boat as well. Turned out a mouse ate through the wires going to my VVS. Soldered the wires back together, working EXCELLENT! Cruise control, speedometer, door locks when I first pull out, odometer, and the info option for MPG, etc works. Hopefully this helps you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey, I was in your boat as well. Turned out a mouse ate through the wires going to my VVS. Soldered the wires back together, working EXCELLENT! Cruise control, speedometer, door locks when I first pull out, odometer, and the info option for MPG, etc works. Hopefully this helps you.
Thank you for your response. Yes, it was the same with mine.. mice ate through wiring so had to do the same thing you did and it worked. I appreciate everyone's help.;)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Glad you both got the issue solved!

Reactions: S. E. Pauley
1 - 20 of 20 Posts