I would like to find out when it was build and how many were built before it
the label says 09/05

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi DaveOC
sorry it so long getting back to my password was not working and the new won would not let me either
the last 8 digits are

6Y100996

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,219 Posts
Hi DaveOC
sorry it so long getting back to my password was not working and the new won would not let me either
the last 8 digits are

6Y100996
Woops, my database is only the USA cars, but I have 6Y100995 listed as a 8/31/2005, so I would guess your build date is 9/1/2005.

Let's see if @RedOne07 has an entry for you.

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
That date is correct Dave

Your (Macher) Solstice 1G2MB33B26Y100996 was built on Aug 31 2005.
From the beginning of production of the very first Solstice till the end of the day of Aug 30 2005 a total of 1783 Solstice had been built.
On the day of Aug 31 2005 a total of 65 Solstice where built, assuming that those where built in sequential order yours would have been number 65 that day.
That makes your ride the number 1848 Pontiac Solstice that rolled off the assembly line.

Above is based on all VIN as described in thread https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/kappa-production-numbers-based-vin-145273/

Odd but true . . . many First 1000 cars where built after yours.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Odd but true . . . many First 1000 cars were built after yours.
Which is better, to have a First 1000 'labelled' car or a real first 1000 built? ;)

Welcome to the group - there are a lot of us Canadians here!

·
Super Moderator
5,941 Posts
Which is better, to have a First 1000 'labelled' car or a real first 1000 built? ;).......
A First 1000 would be superficially more exclusive because it is officially designated as 1 of 1000. Regardless of when it was built, a non-First 1000 is just another Solstice.
Is superficially more exclusive "better"? That is an individual decision. Is more exclusive going to be worth more some day? That is crystal ball territory, but I wouldn't count on it.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I know what you mean, and don't disagree (although I wouldn't have used the word unique, which means there is only one of something, so you can't have one thing 'more unique' than another - it isn't a comparative, it is an absolute. But I understand that common usage has drifted away from the correct definition and I am not giving you a hard time over terminology)

This sort of discussion almost gets into numerology - which is worth more, the highest serial number, thought of by the 'numerology' segment as the last car, or the actual last car produced, which may be a couple or a dozen numbers off...?

An interesting thing with the American as opposed to European cars is that the US stuff seems to get some sort of added value for being the first car of a given model year, while the British, for instance, just continued on with the consecutive serial numbers with no notice of what model year a car was.

·
Super Moderator
5,941 Posts
I know what you mean, and don't disagree (although I wouldn't have used the word unique, which means there is only one of something, so you can't have one thing 'more unique' than another - it isn't a comparative, it is an absolute. But I understand that common usage has drifted away from the correct definition and I am not giving you a hard time over terminology)
Hmmmm. You won't, but you did. I agree that it was not the correct word but still haven't thought of a good one. Exclusive, maybe? I'm an engineer, and we are not usually known for the finer points of language.
This sort of discussion almost gets into numerology - which is worth more, the highest serial number, thought of by the 'numerology' segment as the last car, or the actual last car produced, which may be a couple or a dozen numbers off...?
I think in this case the only perceived value is the special designation by the manufacturer. Ultimately it usually doesn't mean much, but only time will tell.
An interesting thing with the American as opposed to European cars is that the US stuff seems to get some sort of added value for being the first car of a given model year, while the British, for instance, just continued on with the consecutive serial numbers with no notice of what model year a car was.
I think in this case the only perceived value is the special designation by the manufacturer. Ultimately it usually doesn't mean much, but only time will tell. Some of that difference (between US and others) is rooted in the historic major changes that used to accompany model year changes for US cars. Everyone else tended to evolve vehicles more slowly while US cars were almost new models that just happened to have the same name.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts