Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one for you guys to thousand six Pontiac solstice just over 100,000 miles I originally got all kinds of misfire codes and just a whole list of codes so I was gonna start off by changing the spark plugs when I pulled the cylinder 2 spark plug it was drenched in oil so I figured it was the valve gasket replace the valve gasket replace the spark plugs replace the camshaft position actuator‘s the next day I’m still getting a P0302 and a P0017

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I have one for you guys to thousand six Pontiac solstice just over 100,000 miles I originally got all kinds of misfire codes and just a whole list of codes so I was gonna start off by changing the spark plugs when I pulled the cylinder 2 spark plug it was drenched in oil so I figured it was the valve gasket replace the valve gasket replace the spark plugs replace the camshaft position actuator‘s the next day I’m still getting a P0302 and a P0017
Need a little more info. Is the car an NA or turbo? Was the oil on top of the spark plug (in the spark plug cavity) or on the face of the plug. Are you using oil? any oil in the exhaust pipe. Any blue smoke in the exhaust? Misfiring? Any oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil?

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
P0302 is a cylinder 2 misfire which could be a symptom, not a cause, or it could be oil in the coil pack or the connector. P0017 is a camshaft position mismatch which could be a camshaft position sensor, or it could be an electrical problem caused by oil in a connector.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry got really busy at work today so the car has The stock fuel and jacked it engine in it the echo tech but here’s an update so I was reading the codes before the check engine light actually illuminated and once I did my scan tool said replace the ignition coil pack so I replace that and I still have a misfire in cylinder 2

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I guess I’m gonna have to look at that connector now for the coil pack

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Edit - Oops sorry, I meant to edit my original post, not quote it. Hit the send button too soon.

My GXP threw that code after I lost compression in a cylinder due to a hole in the piston.
That would probably explain a plug covered in oil - if the oil is at the spark end and not the top end.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
A quick test you can do with the coil pack. Swap coil packs from #2 cyl and any other cylinder and see if the P0302 code switches to the other cylinder. Another quick and easy check would be a compression test. Is the oil on the topside or the firing side of the spark plug?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So when I originally pulled the plugs there was actually oil on the fire end of cylinder two and cylinder threes plugs that’s the reason I kind of thought it was the valve gasket in between those two cylinders that allowed oil to go into both. I may have to do a leak down test

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do truly love this car though it handles so amazing about five years ago I almost got hung up in a five car pile up on the highway which happened right in front of me and amazingly I slalomed three of the five cars that got caught up in the pile up in front of me and never touched a thing and there is no way any other car with a solid axle I would’ve made it through that

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With that said if it proves that I’ve got a blown piston or something my dad rebuilds cars he’s a retired pilot and he loves cars so I’ve already put the bug in his ear that we’re gonna need a V-8 for the solstice if I have to do any kind of major engine repair

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will definitely let you guys know what I find out now should night do a compression test prior to a leak down test isn’t that the typical standard procedural order

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I will definitely let you guys know what I find out now should night do a compression test prior to a leak down test isn’t that the typical standard procedural order
It doesn't matter which order you do them. Compression test is fast and lets you know if you have a big leak like a holed piston or blown head gasket. Leakdown test takes a little longer but is a better indication of ring or cylinder wear and other smaller leaks.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
As Bill said, you can do them in either order, but once you do a leak-down you probably won't need the compression test. The compression test tells you whether you have a problem, and generally how bad it is. The leak down test will show you what the problem is, since you can identify where the air is going.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I will say this after driving it today I am no longer getting a misfire code maybe I spoke too soon last night

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It’s kind of too bad this is just my toy car that I drive to and from the work it’s not the family car and it’s not the got a haul stuff truck I was kind of starting to hope that it was something Catastrophic the wife knows my plans with this car it just makes the expense easier to swallow for her when I have to you know put a V-8 in it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts