Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

2007 2.4L Muffler Replacement

4K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  CarAmateur 
#1 ·
Hi there,

My 2007 Solstice needs a new muffler and GM has discontinued replacement parts. I have taken the car to the dealer and three independent shops and no one can find a muffler that will work other than a custom performance muffler that was not recommended as it would be "too noisy".

Has anyone had to replace the muffler on a base 2.4L Solstice? Any ideas on where I might find an original equipment new or used one or an aftermarket market muffler that would work on a Solstice? Any ideas are appreciated.

Fyi I live in the Detroit area and will have it shipped in from anywhere if I can find one.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

#2 ·
At various times the 2.4 exhausts were being given away as people replaced them with "something better". You may fnd that someone on the forum still has one taking up space in their garage.

You can check with people parting out cars, or with used parts companies selling various NA Solstice parts, since the exhaust is rarely a part that peple want. Check carparts.com for any NA Solstice parts being sold near you and contact the seller. They are likely to have a low-mileage used exhaust for sale.

I am curious about how many miles you have on your car that it needs a new exhaust.

#3 ·
Thank you for sharing your ideas John. My Solstice has 95,000+ miles and I have driven it every day since I purchased it in August, 2006. Great car! Fyi I led the Pontiac advertising account in the 1980s "We Build Excitement" days and have owned or leased at least a dozen Pontiacs.

Best,

Mike

#4 ·
Mike, I may have a used one available, the P/O of my 2009 Coupe just asked me if I want the original exhaust system for it, I had thought he tossed it. I am in Belleville so not to far from you. I will post some pictures if I do in fact get it.

#5 ·
Good place to start and shop from there. I got mine cat-back and ask for some noise when accelerating, but no drone. They can tune your system however you want. Very pleased.

#9 ·
Mike the PO says I can pick it up, but it will have to be Easter weekend as that is the only weekend our schedules line up.

#11 ·
The System had around 60,000 miles on it, most of them put on by the 1st 2 owners in Oregon. I have not actually seen the system so I can't verify the condition of it, sorry. The reason it was taken off was to install the complete Solo Exhaust system header to tail pipe. If you can wait until Easter we can work something out, But if not I understand completely.

#14 ·
Mike I did get home, and promtly came down with the flu, feeling a bit better today so I will try and pick it up this week from the previous owner. I will let you know.

#16 ·
Mike, Picked it up today, it is the complete assembly from behind the cat to the chrome tail pipe tip. In OK shape, Like I said it has about 70,000 non Michigan miles on it. It about 8' long (would not quite fin in my 8' truck bed flat.

I can Cut it, or you can pick it up. $100 Picked up, or I can deliver it this weekend and you can buy lunch. If interested I will post some pictures later today after I get it unloaded.

#18 · (Edited)
Mike / Jeff I am looking for the pipe section of a n/a 2.4 exhaust . As the two of you progress thru this transaction , If either of you end up with the pipe section (Cat back to muffler) that you might sell ,I may be interested in that for an exhaust project on our "Ruby" as she wants to be heard .

#19 ·
cammerjam - please post pictures. I don't have a truck so if it looks like it will help a Solstice with 95,000+ miles live a few more years lets go for it. I will definitely buy lunch and share Pontiac stories.

Mike V
cammerjeff - once you post the pictures I will take them to my mechanic who is going to do the repair work. If he says he only needs the muffler then you can cut the pipe and I will come out and pick up just the muffler and you can work with OnaWingandaPrayer to get the pipe transaction worked out. Either way I will still buy you lunch as I am sure we have interesting Pontiac stories to share.

Does that work for you?

Mike V

#20 ·
Sorry Mike, just got out of the hospital yesturday, the Flu hit me very hard, I will try and post the pictures later today or tommarow weather permitting. I have never had the flu hit me so hard in my life, I must be getting old!

#23 ·
The bottom of the stock muffler rusted on my wife's 07 2.4. I bought a Dynomax 17283 stainless turbo muffler. It took my brother about 15 minutes to bend a short piece of stainless steel pipe and reuse the stock tailpipe tip. It's a little loud on acceleration, so I'm going to have him add a 12" stainless steel glass pack in the pipe, before the muffler as a resonator.

#26 ·
I finally felt good enough to et some pictures of the muffler & Pipe, The P/O says it has about 70,000 non winter miles on it. That looks about right with some rust on the pipes & alittle on the muffler. Let me know if you are interested.
I took both top & bottom pictures, and a close up of the worst part of the muffler, but there do not seem to be any holes.
Tire Wheel Light Automotive tire Vehicle
Road surface Asphalt Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Wood Road surface Asphalt Wall Font
Tire Automotive tire White Light Automotive lighting

Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Grey Tar
Automotive exhaust Road surface Gas Asphalt Cylinder

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.