Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This spring is the the first time this has ever happened. I know that the roads warp inbetween seasons from cold to hot but my car is actually bottoming out and rubbing the pavement.:( I have never had this happen before. Any suggestions? Everything under the car looks normal.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Are you sure everything is buttoned up underneath and nothing is "flapping" in the wind when on the move? The lowest part on the car is the "air dam" that forces air up to keep things cool right behind the radiator and goes from one side the the other, looks like a 2-3 inch flat hard rubber deflector, is that intact? Does the car "feel" lose when driving? AND finally have you had the car up on a lift and inspect the whole bottom? And does this bottoming out happen on a flat roads?

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
With stock ride height, I can't imagine any of these cars dragging on pavement, something has to be loose. I only have ~2" of ground clearance and even with our ****ty roads have never scraped on anything but an overzealous speedbump.

From your description, I don't think you're talking about bottoming out the suspension/shock travel but that can happen, especially if lowered.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I thought the Bilsteins were rebuildable or is it not worth the hassel?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm bottoming out too. When I first got the car it only happened pulling into driveways and over speed bumps but now it happens all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's nothing loose underneath and it's been up on a lift. It doesn't bottom out where the roads are flat. It's happening on the crappy areas that haven't been repaved yet.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
So on the lift, can you see where the contact is? I'm still guessing it's the air dam. You have to trim it when you lower the car because it'll scrape coming to a stop, going over speedbumps, up steep inclines, etc. I don't even have mine anymore.

I haven't measured but I can't imagine dragging frame before bottoming out on the shock bump stops. That's usually a pretty 'lofty' goal for lowriders.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Define "bottoming out". If it is truly bottoming out you should be able to see evidence of that on the bottom (bare metal scrapes).

Checking for blown struts starts at 4:00
how to diagnose blown struts on your car. - YouTube
His video is good, but not perfect. My jeep had new, high end bilstein shocks and i could do the same thing. However, it was designed with a greater amount of suspension travel, so it is a bit softer overall.

You can do this same test on a 50's caddy, and that thing will wallow all over the place.

The best indicator of a blown shock is uneven rebound, and uncontrolled compression. If you hit a bump, and the car just kind of keeps bouncing, (you will know, its a very obvious sensation, almost like being on a boat) your shocks are not doing their job.

If you take a peek under the car, and look at the shock where the shaft is coming out of the body, many blown shocks will exibit an oily dirty residue around the seal. This is also not a perfect indicator, because the internal piston could have failed, yet the seals are still holding the oil/gas mixture in.

I would suggest taking the car to a mechanic if you are unsure, and have them diagnose your shocks.

Worn shocks also tend to create a "scalloping" wear pattern on your tires. I would check for that as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts