Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Looking for some help here. I purchased a 2007 Solstice GXP recently and absolutely love the car but need some help. My car has the upgraded Monsoon system with the 6 Disc changer and Sirius XM options. The radio has the issue where it randomly switches to the auxiliary input and I have to press the band button to switch it back. The problem is becoming more frequent and I am done with it. I started looking for the newest factory radio I could find since the car is completely stock with low miles. I haven’t been able to find an exact replacement for the unit I have but I did find a brand new US8 model GM part # 20834557. It states it’s for a 2009-10 Solstice. I asked the seller if it was compatible with my 2007 and if my XM would work with it ( I am fine with the single CD player ) and if it would have any effect on the monsoon system and the seller couldn’t tell me anything. I’ve researched as much as I could through these forums and online and can’t get a straight answer. Would anyone be able to tell me how that model radio would work in my car? I do realize I will have to take it to a dealer for programming ( unless one of you knows something ). I just don’t want to purchase it, plug it in, code it to my VIN and have issues.
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Hello. Looking for some help here. I purchased a 2007 Solstice GXP recently and absolutely love the car but need some help. My car has the upgraded Monsoon system with the 6 Disc changer and Sirius XM options. The radio has the issue where it randomly switches to the auxiliary input and I have to press the band button to switch it back. The problem is becoming more frequent and I am done with it. I started looking for the newest factory radio I could find since the car is completely stock with low miles. I haven’t been able to find an exact replacement for the unit I have but I did find a brand new US8 model GM part # 20834557. It states it’s for a 2009-10 Solstice. I asked the seller if it was compatible with my 2007 and if my XM would work with it ( I am fine with the single CD player ) and if it would have any effect on the monsoon system and the seller couldn’t tell me anything. I’ve researched as much as I could through these forums and online and can’t get a straight answer. Would anyone be able to tell me how that model radio would work in my car? I do realize I will have to take it to a dealer for programming ( unless one of you knows something ). I just don’t want to purchase it, plug it in, code it to my VIN and have issues.
Thanks in advance!
This will probably be of no help at all, but the GM model no. of the OE radio in my 2007 with monsoon is #15878908. (manufactured by panasonic.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This will probably be of no help at all, but the GM model no. of the OE radio in my 2007 with monsoon is #15878908. (manufactured by panasonic.)
Thanks Bill. I would love to find a new one of those. Haven’t been able locate one but who knows? Maybe I need to find some patience instead.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
You might try the old I.T. trick. unplug it and plug it back in. The stock radio is easy to remove and there are only two connectors in the back. could be just a bit of corrosion. If all else fails go to CRUTCHFIELD. Their tech guys are great and always willing to help.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
try getting a can of air and blowing air into the aux port. this has been a fix for some people.

Yes, a 2009 radio will fit an older car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Markerveli,

Go to the above (last post) hyper link and put in the part # of the '09 radio (20834557). Use the search at the bottom of the page. It shows that radio almost $100. cheaper than the '07 radio.

I would do some research & make sure that I was getting exactly what I needed/wanted.

Good Luck in your search,
G.W.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might try the old I.T. trick. unplug it and plug it back in. The stock radio is easy to remove and there are only two connectors in the back. could be just a bit of corrosion. If all else fails go to CRUTCHFIELD. Their tech guys are great and always willing to help.
I am a fan of Crutchfield for sure. I have used them before but in this case I want to stick with an OEM radio.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
try getting a can of air and blowing air into the aux port. this has been a fix for some people.

Yes, a 2009 radio will fit an older car.
I had not read this anywhere. Before purchasing anything I will give this a try. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Markerveli,

Go to the above (last post) hyper link and put in the part # of the '09 radio (20834557). Use the search at the bottom of the page. It shows that radio almost $100. cheaper than the '07 radio.

I would do some research & make sure that I was getting exactly what I needed/wanted.

Good Luck in your search,
G.W.
That’s what I’m trying to do here and asking for help. I found that radio you mentioned in your post brand new for $80 including shipping. If it worked properly that would be a steal. I just can’t seem to get anyone to verify full compatibility with my car. I would want the XM radio to work along with the steering wheel controls. If I could verify that, I’d spend the $80 and pay whatever the programming cost was.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
If you are getting a brand new part (never been installed in another car) then no programming is necessary, the radio 'learns' the new car when it is first installed. XM and steering controls will not be an issue.

The only thing you need to be sure of is that the radio is for a Monsoon car (and thus has lower output levels). If you install a non-monsoon radio, your volume will be very high, and more importantly your chimes/turn signals will be VERY loud and with no option to turn them down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you are getting a brand new part (never been installed in another car) then no programming is necessary, the radio 'learns' the new car when it is first installed. XM and steering controls will not be an issue.

The only thing you need to be sure of is that the radio is for a Monsoon car (and thus has lower output levels). If you install a non-monsoon radio, your volume will be very high, and more importantly your chimes/turn signals will be VERY loud and with no option to turn them down.
That is great information. Exactly what I was looking to find out. Now I just need to determine if the 20834557 is a monsoon radio or not. I certainly don’t want the problem you described. The chimes are already loud enough for me. I can’t thank you enough for your help. I’ve seen you on a lot of posts on here and have always had good information.
Thanks again for all of your knowledge!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had not read this anywhere. Before purchasing anything I will give this a try. Thanks!
[/
Just wanted to post a follow up. I did the compressed air trick last night and so far today after about 15 miles I had no issues.... I would have had at least 4 or 5 in that amount of time. So far so good. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have used this for several radios

They do a good job and have a good selection.
That looks like it could be a great option for me. I appreciate the info. I did use the compressed air and it seems to be working, but I’d like to have another option if it starts up again. I tried calling 5 dealer parts departments today to see if any of them could tell me if the radio part number 20834557 was for a car with the monsoon system or not and none of them could verify it for me. If it was for a monsoon car I was going to buy it just to have because I don’t believe the aux problem with my current radio won’t return. Now at least I know I can send out my current radio and get the problem solved for a nominal fee. Thanks again for the help and for all the good information you’ve put on this site!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a 2006 6 disc, monsoon, xm radio I pulled out working fine. Just pulled for Apple car play radio. Will sell.

·
Super Moderator
16,344 Posts
if you go with a used radio, you will need a tech 2 to reset the VIN. Any dealer can do that but they may charge you labor to do it.

I got an 09 USB radio for Punisher and liked it very much. When I tried to get a similar radio for the Sky, there were none available. I ended up getting a refurbished G6 radio and repainting it piano black. It works GREAT. Its a non-monsoon radio so it has a built in amp to drive speakers directly. When it is played through the monsoon it is really powerful!. I like that combination better than the factory usb radio.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 2006 6 disc, monsoon, xm radio I pulled out working fine. Just pulled for Apple car play radio. Will sell.
Thanks for letting me know. So far the “fix” on my radio is working. If I were to purchase a radio, I’d want to go the new / refurbished route since these radios seem to be a little problematic. Thanks for the offer though

1 - 20 of 39 Posts