Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
since these radios seem to be a little problematic.
I would dispute that. There have been a few reported cases (very few) of problems with the radios, but again, very few. Your issue is likely to have been dust that accumulated - that could happen to any radio.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
While researching my problem I found that it seemed to be a fairly common problem on this era GM radio with an auxiliary input on it. Granted, when you find 10 discussions on it out of how many cars built with that option than you do have a point. I certainly hope that the problem doesn’t come back. The radio sounds good and had what I use on it, so I’d like to stick with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
if you go with a used radio, you will need a tech 2 to reset the VIN. Any dealer can do that but they may charge you labor to do it.

I got an 09 USB radio for Punisher and liked it very much. When I tried to get a similar radio for the Sky, there were none available. I ended up getting a refurbished G6 radio and repainting it piano black. It works GREAT. Its a non-monsoon radio so it has a built in amp to drive speakers directly. When it is played through the monsoon it is really powerful!. I like that combination better than the factory usb radio.
Rob, I’ve read on this post and elsewhere on this site that if you use a non-monsoon radio with a monsoon equipped car that the chimes and turn signal indicators are very loud to borderline obnoxious... are they really that bad?

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
They are loud but in my experience not too loud. The chime is only activated if the key is in the ignition and the door open so its easy to avoid if you don't like it. The turn signals are louder but not offensive in my opinion. The improved audio performance is worth any negative impacts in my opnion. I am considering pulling the UUI radio out of the Punisher and replacing it with another non monsoon radio because it sounds much better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
They are loud but in my experience not too loud. The chime is only activated if the key is in the ignition and the door open so its easy to avoid if you don't like it. The turn signals are louder but not offensive in my opinion. The improved audio performance is worth any negative impacts in my opnion. I am considering pulling the UUI radio out of the Punisher and replacing it with another non monsoon radio because it sounds much better.
Thanks for all of that information. I’m someone that really likes music and appreciates good sound. The monsoon system is fine enough for a car that isn’t driven much but if a simple radio swap would improve what I’m getting, I’d be on board with that. Power seems to be fine with my monsoon set up but I’m not impressed with the mid range and highs. Did you find the non-monsoon radio helped with that as well?

·
Super Moderator
7,540 Posts
Most people have agreed that the single best sound improvement is with a new head unit. The amp and speakers are considered "OK" to "Pretty Good".

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have a complete 6 disk monsoon, including the XM module you can have for free, if you pick it up. I replaced it with a Pioneer head unit at 19K miles. I kept the amp, as it works just fine with the Pioneer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have a complete 6 disk monsoon, including the XM module you can have for free, if you pick it up. I replaced it with a Pioneer head unit at 19K miles. I kept the amp, as it works just fine with the Pioneer.
That is a kind offer. If mine wasn’t currently working I would take you up on it. The compressed air trick has seemingly fixed it so I don’t need yours. Maybe another member of the community could use it. I lucked out with an easy fix.

This community has been fantastic and makes me proud to be a part of.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rob, I’ve read on this post and elsewhere on this site that if you use a non-monsoon radio with a monsoon equipped car that the chimes and turn signal indicators are very loud to borderline obnoxious... are they really that bad?
The reason is the Monsoon wiring uses the high level speaker output of the radio to feed the Monsoon amp. So a non-monsoon radio will be feeding high level speaker outputs to the amp, and they get reamplfied. The crutchfield wiiring adapters will correct this. In my car I rewired the speaker wiring ( behind the drivers seat) so its all low level ( rca jacks to a new amp) And the new amp drives all the speakers. I still needed the crutchfield adapters . I also swapped the door speakers and the woofer speaker, and a new radio. It sounds fantastic, and chimes and everything works normally.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
That’s great information. Even if I currently don’t want to replace the monsoon equipment I can still get the adapters from Crutchfield if I end up with a non-monsoon radio and don’t like the additional volume on the chimes and turn signals. That gives me lots of options.
Thanks for your very helpful post!

·
Super Moderator
7,540 Posts
The reason is the Monsoon wiring uses the high level speaker output of the radio to feed the Monsoon amp. So a non-monsoon radio will be feeding high level speaker outputs to the amp, and they get reamplfied. The crutchfield wiiring adapters will correct this. In my car I rewired the speaker wiring ( behind the drivers seat) so its all low level ( rca jacks to a new amp) And the new amp drives all the speakers. I still needed the crutchfield adapters . I also swapped the door speakers and the woofer speaker, and a new radio. It sounds fantastic, and chimes and everything works normally.
The problem is adapting a non-Monsoon OEM radio to a Monsoon-equipped car and I do not think that Crutchfield has adapters that can do that.
Both versions of the OEM radio use the same connectors for output, and there are no RCA jacks.

Also, the OEM radio has a data connection so that it can generate the chimes and clicks, so the sound level differential is within the radio, and not external to it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That was the scenario I was going to check into. I was going to take a look at the adapter that Crutchfield has and see if it plugs into the factory harness or not, otherwise it wouldn’t work for my scenario - putting the OEM non- monsoon head unit in a monsoon equipped car.
When I do check into it, I will post what I’ve discovered in case somebody else would like to know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That’s great information. Even if I currently don’t want to replace the monsoon equipment I can still get the adapters from Crutchfield if I end up with a non-monsoon radio and don’t like the additional volume on the chimes and turn signals. That gives me lots of options.
Thanks for your very helpful post!
Oops. My post wasn't really correct. If you try to use an OEM non Monsoon radio , the crutchfield adapter won't work.
If you add a different radio and rewire the speaker connections at the amp and add a different amp , you can get a crutchfield adapter to work. That's what I did. I should have put that at the end of my statement.
In a Monsoon system the radio speaker output connector wiring goes to the amp behind the seat, not to the speakers .The amp output then drives all the speakers. In a non Monsoon system, the speaker connector to the radio wiring goes directly to the speakers. It's a convoluted system.

·
Super Moderator
7,540 Posts
In a Monsoon system the radio speaker output connector wiring goes to the amp behind the seat, not to the speakers .The amp output then drives all the speakers.
In a non Monsoon system, the speaker connector to the radio wiring goes directly to the speakers.
It's a convoluted system.
How is that convoluted?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Makes it difficult to replace the radio. If you try to put an OEM non Moonsoon radio in a Monsoon system, you get a doubled amplified sound, which others have stated. The connectors to the radios ( Moonsoon and regular) are the same, as you have stated. But the Moonson wiring connects the speaker connector outputs in the dash to the amp, not to the speakers. So trying to put any other radio in it's place is difficult .

·
Super Moderator
7,540 Posts
Makes it difficult to replace the radio. If you try to put an OEM non Moonsoon radio in a Monsoon system, you get a doubled amplified sound, which others have stated. The connectors to the radios ( Moonsoon and regular) are the same, as you have stated. But the Moonson wiring connects the speaker connector outputs in the dash to the amp, not to the speakers. So trying to put any other radio in it's place is difficult .
You do have to understand how it is wired, and I agree that it could appear convoluted if you don't.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts