Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend an experienced mechanic to replace a water pump ?
I am in Orange County, Ca. I was quoted 850.00 by a local shop and he didn't sound enthused to do the work.

·
Registered
74 Posts
850 is a good price but be forwarned,if done incorrectly the front engine cover will have to be removed to reset the tensioner. Best go over that with the mechanic.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE search the forum for info on the water pump replacement. There is a tool needed to hold the timing chain tensioner in place and if it's not use there will be issues.

My "Chevy" dealer scoffed at my input on this issue and proceeded to screw it up anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Definitely use the tool! and not the half circle but the full circle tool. Last time I looked on ebay they were about $35.00. Make sure your mechanic knows how to use it. He probably does but you never know. $850 sounds like a good deal. I have seen lots of estimates over a thousand. Does that price include the pump? If so, thats cheap.

·
Super Moderator
16,268 Posts
JOHN and I did one on his RL. 9 hours. It's not technically challenging but poor access and the negative consequences of making a mistake make it a NOT fun job

·
Registered
199 Posts
Can anyone recommend an experienced mechanic to replace a water pump ?
I am in Orange County, Ca. I was quoted 850.00 by a local shop and he didn't sound enthused to do the work.
Replace my water pump last year ( Corning, NY) at a GM dealership, cost over $900 . The car had about 56,000 miles. They said, their technician has done several of these on our cars. Well, 2-1/2 days later I finally got the car back. Lucky for me, it was still under warranty and covered about 85% of the bill. The labor and parts are under warranty for 24 months from date of service at any GM dealership.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Is there a P/N for this tool so I can order it ?
This is one place you can get it, there are many other places.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is one place you can get it, there are many other places.

Thanks, I ordered the tool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there a proceedure I can download for the mechanic to follow ? Thanks everyone for the help. Chuck

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
Is there a proceedure I can download for the mechanic to follow ? Thanks everyone for the help. Chuck
A professional mechanic should already have the procedure available to him, as our engines are the same as the other 15 million EcoTec enginrs on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Thanks showtime. I printed it off as i know one day i may need it. $850 sounds reasonable for a shop doing it Chuck . I hope it works out for you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts