Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Be aware that while replacing the water pump if the chain tensioner moves out you will get a "whine" and the front cover will need to be removed to reset the tensioner. I mention this because a friend of mine is a GM tech and understands the consequences of having the tensioner extend and he says that he still occasionally has to reset it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get it out to DFW and I'll very enthusiastically do it for $850

·
Registered
50 Posts
IT WAS $1000 FOR A TOP-NOTCH 2-YEAR GUARANTEE WATER-PUMP REPLACEMENT AT HENRY BROWN BUICK / GMC IN CHANDLER, MOST BUICK / GMC DEALERS STILL WORK ON PONTIACS.

Can anyone recommend an experienced mechanic to replace a water pump ?
I am in Orange County, Ca. I was quoted 850.00 by a local shop and he didn't sound enthused to do the work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can anyone recommend an experienced mechanic to replace a water pump ?
I am in Orange County, Ca. I was quoted 850.00 by a local shop and he didn't sound enthused to do the work.
I'm having the dealer do it. with the GXP, it is not the quick fix a lot make it out to be. and thet also found a small leak near the thermostat so, they're doing that too. Not cheap but,I think it's one of the few jobs that should be left to the dealer. Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Overall, it went well. Although as it turns out, I was being accidentally preemptive. The original leak i was observing was condensation off the air conditioner condenser (first Spring with this car) NOT coolant. So, when I took it in for diagnosis and they pressure tested the system, the thermostat almost immediately started leaking and after a few minutes the pump also started to leak. So, it would have had to be done at some point with the potential failure in the middle of nowhere (been there-done that)...

There were hiccups in the job. I live on an island so, parts were coming from Vancouver and twice the wrong parts were sent including bolts with no nuts which the dealer said should have come together not separately. The job took a full three days because (plus the weekend so, 5 days)....

After the work was complete and I drove away happy though, $1800.00 lighter, I parked the car at my office, came out an hour later and observed the same leak. Freaked out I went back to the dealer. We all walked around under the hoist looking for the leak. No dice.

I should have realized befor all the drama that it was water not coolant ... rookie mistake? I'm old enough to have known better.

Long story short. I'm happy with the work. It's one job I'm glad to have had the dealer do. I won't have to worry about it again and I have fresh coolant. They did the airbag recall as well.

Hoping to do the GM performance upgrade this fall...

Cheers,
Allan
'07 GXP "Silver Streak"

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Glad to hear all went well with the new water pump & no leaks. I will when the time comes probably have to take mine to a dealership to. I did buy an extended GM Warranty which still cost more than your new water pump installed.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
How many miles did you have on your solstice before the water pump went Allen ? What type of warranty did the dealership give you on your new water pump Allen?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts